PDA

View Full Version : Doing gears? What Limited Slip?

nate
12-04-2005, 04:17 PM
I'm looking at regearing my Dodge 2500. Right now it's got 3.55s and I'm thinking of going to 4.10s. With the addition of the 315/75r16s (35s) the RPMs are just too low to be in the power curve. It's fine when empty, but pulling a trailer it's another story.
I thought about just adding more power to the engine, but then the tranny will become an even bigger weak link.
I did the #s and the 4.10s will bring me back to where the 3.55s were with stock sized tires.

I was thinking about adding a limited slip in the rear.

I was looking for a non-clutch unit, anyone have recomendations?

Auburn... don't make one for the Dana 70.
Detroit TrueTrac... not seeing one for D70.
Only thing I have found is the Dana Powerlock which is a clutch unit.

Now install... I'm debating if I should buy a few more tools and do it myself. I don't have a problem pulling the "hog" apart or putting it back together... The only thing is I'm not 100% on judging the patterns.

I got quoted a price of $2218.45 for everything... parts, labor, oil, etc. 12month/12,000 mile warranty. I was figuring aroung $650 for gears/install kits, $500 for the limited slip, and $50 for oil/shop supplies. Before taxes it'd be about $450 per axle for labor.

egon
12-13-2005, 05:42 PM
The only other non-clutch posi that I know of is the Zexel-Torsen, but I don't see that available for the D70. The Powr Lok is a very durable posi for being clutch driven, should be fully rebuildable. One other posi to look into is the the Dana Hydra-Lok. It uses clutches but only uses them when there is a difference in wheel speed. Hope that helps.

--Matt

nate
12-13-2005, 10:09 PM
I ordered a Detroit today. Rebuild kit for the PowerLock is $260. Figured for that price, I can deal with a little bit of tire wear.