PDA

View Full Version : 4speed...... T-case!

Zero
11-28-2005, 03:26 AM
Suprised I hadn't seen this mentioned over here yet (or maybe I didn't search well enough).

Looks like advance adapters took notice about the Stak case and had to one-up em! A little pricey but sweet though.

http://www.advanceadapters.com/atlas4sp.pdf

Looks like one version's got: 1, 2.72, 3.8 and 10.3. Same twinstick atlas, selectable range! General consensus over on pbb is the lack of underdrive, but other than that, you cant argue with selection.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=379180

OverkillZJ
11-28-2005, 09:51 AM
I think you meant lack of an OVERDRIVE, considering every gear range over 1:1 is an underdrive.

It's "cool" - but I feel I need to pull out the .....USELESS.... card here. Not really that innovative either. Atlas's are COOL cases and AA makes some awesome products, but will someone please tell me what the point of 10.3 to one is? If you have an axle and tire combo in which 2.72:1 or even 3.8:1 can make a difference, I can't imagine 10.3:1 being useful for, well, anything.

Overall it just seems like a direct response to the Stak or to people adding a Klune to their Atlas 2: too much so to just be a "cool new product."

I'm much more excited about the Stak 3 speed... It's just more useful, and much more reasonable. http://stak4x4.com

A lot of what I'd like to point out about the "new atlas" has been beat to death in the pirate thread, I'd suggest anyone curious to read it.

I haven't seen any numbers thrown around yet, but I'd bet my buggy project that this new Atlas carried over some of the same weak points as opposed to designing new like Stak. Can you tell I've been researching this like hell lately? Any guesses as to which I'm buying for the buggy? :finga:

The only way I'll change my tune, is if Advance Adapters contacts me and offers me a demo unit I can do a review on in the buggy project. I'm waiting, tick tock!

deadman
11-28-2005, 11:29 AM
I like the Stak case much more too... but what if they are not around anymore in a few years, and you need parts. I know it shouldn't break, but what if? I am pretty sure AA stays around.

That is the only reason I am probably gonna get an ATLAS. I hope all jump on the 4 speed, and there will be some cheap used 2 speed ATLAS'.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
11-28-2005, 01:02 PM
It's "cool" - but I feel I need to pull out the .....USELESS.... card here. Not really that innovative either. Atlas's are COOL cases and AA makes some awesome products, but will someone please tell me what the point of 10.3 to one is? If you have an axle and tire combo in which 2.72:1 or even 3.8:1 can make a difference, I can't imagine 10.3:1 being useful for, well, anything.

seems like it'd be an advantage for people who are limited by their axle gear ratio.

Zero
11-28-2005, 10:33 PM
I think you meant lack of an OVERDRIVE

Sorry about that typo.

They are supposedly offering different selections of gears, so hopefully there will be a more useable range for different purposes and setups. I don't think the alternate setup has such a low gearing, but I'm not sure and I'm too lazy to check it out right now.

I like the idea of being able to combine the 2 lows, to make the '4th speed' compared to the stak. Maybe its not useful to everyone, but for a case with the same basic price, length and weight, I'd like to have option.

Overall it just seems like a direct response to the Stak or to people adding a Klune to their Atlas 2: too much so to just be a "cool new product."

Isn't that how Stak got their foot in the door in the first place? :-) Their case one-upped AA by adding selection.
I'm just glad to see competition between the two, so eventually we get some cool gear out of it. I understand 10.3 being too low, but maybe it's paving the way for a 1, 2, 3.5, 7 which might be more useful / realistic.