PDA

View Full Version : woopdie woop! (pics)

norton
11-27-2005, 07:29 AM
i just learned myself to TIG weld a couple of days ago. ok actually an asian helped me some. hes on FSAE with me. MOST of the mini baja guys saw my first weld and said its better than they've ever done. just wanted to share.

tungsten givith me a hard-on, as well as this gas called argon :heart:

:booya:

edit: ima post some pics of this sexy shit, cuz i know theres some doubters

OverkillZJ
11-27-2005, 01:33 PM
Damn right I'm a doubter!

AprilzWarrior
11-27-2005, 05:24 PM
You didnt say what you TIG'd so POST UP.

Try some Aluminum or SS maybe? Mild steel is for the weak.:cheer:

Kraqa
11-27-2005, 09:59 PM
i find TIG'n SS is easier then mild steel.

our machine doesn't have the frequency to tig al.

and post up bith i'l beleive it when i c it.

norton
11-28-2005, 01:51 AM
mild steel sheets, and some kinda alloy tubing to the mild steel sheets. i forgot to get pics today, i was busting my ass trying to get a bunch of tubing notched for our frame. i didnt do any welding today. i did however get to drive the mini baja car from last year. i almost rolled that fawker. shit is FUN

expect pics tommorow night

edit: ill try doin some aluminum tommorow too.

AprilzWarrior
11-30-2005, 02:19 PM
mild steel sheets, and some kinda alloy tubing to the mild steel sheets. i forgot to get pics today, i was busting my ass trying to get a bunch of tubing notched for our frame. i didnt do any welding today. i did however get to drive the mini baja car from last year. i almost rolled that fawker. shit is FUN

expect pics tommorow night

edit: ill try doin some aluminum tommorow too.

:screwy:

Krash80
12-13-2005, 12:25 PM
where's the pics???

OverkillZJ
12-13-2005, 12:28 PM
Ya, definitely BS!

norton
12-14-2005, 02:06 AM
i havent had time to work on the car (or even get back to the shop for that matter) cuz ive been busy with end of smester crap including finals and studying for them. any free time i get lately is late at night and no1s in the shop then and im out drinking anyways :finga:

dont worry, ill be getting back in there a whole lot starting sunday (finals are this week, and i doubt im gonna be doing much more than recovering on saturday from end of finals weeks partying)

so ya, sorry for the delay but youll have your pictures. then you can bow down in awe to my natural tiggin skillllllz

norton
12-16-2005, 02:09 AM
ok bitches, heres a couple pics for you. i still havent tried doing any aluminum. i did however make it to the shop earlier tonight right after i got off work for an hour or so.

heres my first weld:

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/1931/11414697fa.jpg

heres my first try at some tubing, ya it sucks i know. ive gotten better though but i didnt bring any of that home to take pics of.

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/6776/11414713zs.jpg

and heres a weld that i did today. bow down :finga:

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/5/11414708op.jpg

satasfied?

OverkillZJ
12-16-2005, 03:05 AM
Bow down?

I'm no expert, hell I know little about arc and only trust myself with mig, and I've only played with tig a few times... but keep yer pics to yourself til they stop sucking :finga:

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
12-16-2005, 03:56 AM
now cut through it and take a pic of a cross section so we can analyze penetration. i bet my welds > yours.

ATL ZJ
12-16-2005, 04:01 AM
Looks like the tinman got a little excited all over that round tube.

norton
12-16-2005, 04:58 AM
now cut through it and take a pic of a cross section so we can analyze penetration. i bet my welds > yours.

ok, will do tommorow. i did it with some other welds i did and it looked like 1 solid piece.

so tell me exactly matt, why does that suck?

OverkillZJ
12-16-2005, 01:15 PM
ok, will do tommorow. i did it with some other welds i did and it looked like 1 solid piece.

so tell me exactly matt, why does that suck?

Because you made it!

Really though, it's not but uggly, but it's not too consistent. You're not going to know if it's good or bad until you cut it open. When I got my mig I spent the first 3 months with it just welding and cutting those welds open. I want a tig dammnit. :coffee:

Kraqa
12-16-2005, 05:01 PM
your bead size is very inconsistant. Did you use a filler rod? It doesn't look like you did or you didnt; use enough or yoru runnign way to hot. Its a good start but it is no where close to the strength you can get or expect from a tig weld.

fr3db3ar
12-16-2005, 05:12 PM
Dang..we got us some Expert farbicators here...... Perty is overrated :axe:

Kraqa
12-16-2005, 05:37 PM
Perty is overrated :axe:

ahh...........:smt064 ....what?

AprilzWarrior
12-22-2005, 03:25 AM
http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/5/11414708op.jpg

satasfied?

That you posted pics, yes. BUT youve got a LONG way to go. Ive been TIG welding for years, and for a beginner thats not so bad, good start.

Try getting the Rod Holder for your hand, I think that might help ya. it allows you to control the filler rod with smooth incertion, rather than being jerky and wandering like the above pic.

AW

norton
12-22-2005, 05:58 AM
That you posted pics, yes. BUT youve got a LONG way to go. Ive been TIG welding for years, and for a beginner thats not so bad, good start.

Try getting the Rod Holder for your hand, I think that might help ya. it allows you to control the filler rod with smooth incertion, rather than being jerky and wandering like the above pic.

AW

actually, i didnt use any filler rod in that pic you mentioned. i just tacked(sp?) it and then went to town. i was tought, if there is no gap, you dont NEED filler rod, is this wrong? anyways, i was just practicing keeping my puddle going and keeping it approx the same size.

i dont practice anymore, ive been making better welds and am actually welding on the chassis now :supz: . we took some pics last night after we got the 3 roll hoops welded on (those were the first welds i did on the chassis and they came out good methinks). Oscar (team leader) said he was going to send out the pics to the team but hasnt.

today we cut and notched the braces from the main roll hoop to the middle, and then from the middle to the front. i welded in one side of the middle to front and Oscar did the other side. tommorow well be in the shop for a couple hours at least to get the rest of the bracing welded in that we have notched. ill make sure to upload some pics straight from there.

its like 3am now. good nighty

ps, thanks for being the first person who isnt a negative nancy

norton
12-22-2005, 10:21 PM
heres some of the welds i did on the chassis

http://img461.imageshack.us/img461/4771/dsc010870xb.jpg

http://img461.imageshack.us/img461/9618/dsc011024xj.jpg

http://img461.imageshack.us/img461/2459/dsc010874hm.jpg

http://img461.imageshack.us/img461/96/dsc010866ce.jpg

http://img461.imageshack.us/img461/3183/dsc010855dh.jpg

and heres the chassis as of last night

http://img461.imageshack.us/img461/5296/dsc011094fh.jpg

and heres one from 2 nights ago right after we got the 3 main hoops in(thats me sitting in it)

http://img461.imageshack.us/img461/7588/dsc011066jv.jpg

time to get back to work, im in the shop right now:butthead:

TrojanMan
12-23-2005, 12:06 AM
I could so kick your ass.

norton
12-23-2005, 12:15 AM
I could so kick your ass.

youd have to catch me first big boy :smt062

AprilzWarrior
12-23-2005, 01:52 AM
time to get back to work, im in the shop right now:butthead:

Well those pics are not very good (angle I mean) the BEST way to see the welds IS to CUT it in half and see whats up.

Im not going to get into welding lessons, but I use filler almost always unless I need it flat or super clean.

I dont know what kind of chassis your building but looks like your welds will hold. You will get it down and have some really sweet welds turning out in time. Just keep using a pattern.

AW

Krash80
12-23-2005, 03:25 AM
Looks like you're off to a real good start. I wouldn't get too cocky about it though...it's good but nothing to bow down to. You need to remember that we're not all punk kids on here and some of us actually know how to weld and fabricate quite well.

I am glad to see this post and these pics though...for a while I just thought you were a forum troll and I doubted that you even owned a jeep. Stick with the welding and soon you'll be fabbing all your own jeep parts...it just takes practice and lots of it.

Have you tried any other methods of welding yet or just TIG?

PS.... tell the dude in the pic that his hat needs to go.

norton
12-23-2005, 05:14 AM
Looks like you're off to a real good start. I wouldn't get too cocky about it though...it's good but nothing to bow down to. You need to remember that we're not all punk kids on here and some of us actually know how to weld and fabricate quite well.

I am glad to see this post and these pics though...for a while I just thought you were a forum troll and I doubted that you even owned a jeep. Stick with the welding and soon you'll be fabbing all your own jeep parts...it just takes practice and lots of it.

Have you tried any other methods of welding yet or just TIG?

PS.... tell the dude in the pic that his hat needs to go.

umm thanks .. im not a troll, i have some skills, im just a punk kid i guess. and of course i gots a jeep. i wheel it so hard i brake it.

ive only done TIG. the machine we use is a Miller Square Wave TIG 225 Amp. the other 2 guys on our team that weld (Oscar and Jason) have both done MIG and say they prefer TIG. Jason works in a ricer shop and does engine work and body work. he uses a MIG at work so im guessing hes pretty good with it, but hes not as good at TIG as I am, or at least thats what Oscar says.

I do hope to be able to afford some steel so i can bring it to the shop and make myself a bumper. right now im fawking broke like usual. to be honest my Jeep is gonna be approx where it is right now for a couple more years till i start doing some co-op work and actually make some real money.

BTW your prolly right, sometimes i am too cocky for my own good. :smt066

norton
12-23-2005, 05:22 AM
Well those pics are not very good (angle I mean) the BEST way to see the welds IS to CUT it in half and see whats up.

Im not going to get into welding lessons, but I use filler almost always unless I need it flat or super clean.

I dont know what kind of chassis your building but looks like your welds will hold. You will get it down and have some really sweet welds turning out in time. Just keep using a pattern.

AW

im not about to cut our chassis just to please you :smt108 and ya that camera i used kinda sucks. it was Oscars, and only like 2MP or something like that that one i took the other pics with is my 5.0MP i gots a home.

the chassis we are building is for a mini F1 car. it will look something like this when all is said and done. comparable performance to a 911 turbo or a Ferrari F430. visit www.FSAE.com (http://www.FSAE.com) for more details

http://www.fsae.com/images/toronto05.jpg

AprilzWarrior
12-24-2005, 12:31 AM
im not about to cut our chassis just to please you :smt108

DUH...

I was talking about the scrap metal you burned together. But that was funny.

AW

norton
12-24-2005, 05:48 AM
DUH...

I was talking about the scrap metal you burned together. But that was funny.

AW

i know im just being stupid fight now cuz ive been srinking a little wisky. if i have time(prolly wont be until day after x]mAS) ILL MAKE A CUT IN BETWEEN SOME SCRAP METAL AND SHOW YALL. GOONIGHTYBUY!!!

TrojanMan
01-01-2006, 03:49 PM
youd have to catch me first big boy :smt062

don't mistake my size for slowness:smt117

ANLPROBE
01-03-2006, 05:00 AM
Hey good for you for taking initiative to tackle TIG right off the get go. As for bow down, well sorry, most people start with that (that being bubblegum welding) If you plan on doing TIG washing (no filler rod), usually you only use it for finese light gauge welding(corner to corner fillets or butt joints) or where there will be little or no stresses. Doing a 90 degree tee joint without filler like you did with the plates will typically create undercut and Inadequate weld reinforcement, an area of a weld where the thickness of weld metal deposited is less than the thickness of the base material.
Anyways, kudos to you for taking the initiative... keep doing little practice projects, cut them in half and look at the heat affected cross section to see what your penetration is like. Penetration is everything! Again, good for you... like Krash80 said, don't get to cocky.

norton
01-17-2006, 04:14 PM
so i finally tried some aloo-minium tiggin the other day. that shit is retarded, plain and simple. i still did better at it than the guy who was telling me how.

how the fuck do you get much penetration with aluminum? is there some secret? i tried 80 amps at first (which is what ive been using to build our frame) but even stomping the pedal i could only get a small puddle which was nearly impossible to control. i tried 100 amps and it was a little easier to get a puddle but still hard as hell to get it to do what i wanted it to. maybe just more amperage? im kinda afraid of burning a hole if i turn it up much higher.

norton
01-17-2006, 04:19 PM
don't mistake my size for slowness:smt117

dont mistake mine for being easy to woopeth my asseth

im 6' 190#'s and lift wieghts/jog. you could SO not kick my ass. :D

Kraqa
01-17-2006, 04:36 PM
alminum disipates heat WAY faster the steel. you need to run alot more heat.

Aluminum is also weird when you weld it it doesn't glow red when yoru abotu to burn through. you will be welding and all of a sudden BAM a huge hole. it takes practice. i'v never tigged it either. just pulse mig.

DJJordache
01-18-2006, 02:20 PM
I'm taking a welding class (starts next week) for fun at a local continued education school and hope to learn how to weld the correct way. I have a small lincoln mig (flux) and can get it done but nothing I would trust my life on... just exhaust and little stuff, but I'm kinda getting the hang of it.

When I was first learning my buddy at my exhaust shop laughed his butt off at my welds that he mounted the section of pipe on the wall at the shop:D I have improved alot since then, the welds no longer look like splatered diarrhea:smt046 So in a few weeks I guess I'll post pics of my progress. I hope to one day be good enough to weld on a long arm kit and build some bumpers and some sliders