PDA

View Full Version : How to check if wheel bearing is bad?

rrubio
11-23-2005, 05:06 PM
Im getting this rattling on my fron driver side of my WJ.This past weekend I took of my tire and checked to see if anything was loose.Nothing seemed loose my shock was bubba tight and when I pushed up and down on that side no noise.Disconnected my swaybar thinking my discos were bad that was not the problem.So question how can I check to see if my wheel bearing is bad?
The noise happens when I let off the gas or if im going into a deep right turn.Happens also when I hit a pothole.

Bradley
11-23-2005, 06:18 PM
My guess is LCA Or an upper arm.

rrubio
11-23-2005, 07:15 PM
Both arms seem to be fine except for the upper one having a nice dent in it :).But that dent has been there for awhile.

Swamp boy
11-23-2005, 10:02 PM
Jack it up till the tire is off the ground.. Have someone look at the hub.. If you can grab the tire at 3 and 9 and wobble it (where bearing movement is visible) unit bearing is bad. It should not have any movement in it...
Or you can grab it at 6 and 12 and wobble it to check the ball joints...

Other than that... While you havethe weight off the tire check the control arms.. Any motion at all in them and something is wrong..

Troy
11-24-2005, 11:03 AM
Jack it up till the tire is off the ground.. Have someone look at the hub.. If you can grab the tire at 3 and 9 and wobble it (where bearing movement is visible) unit bearing is bad. It should not have any movement in it...
Or you can grab it at 6 and 12 and wobble it to check the ball joints...

Other than that... While you havethe weight off the tire check the control arms.. Any motion at all in them and something is wrong..

Exactly the right procedures.

rrubio
11-25-2005, 04:53 PM
Very good quess.Got some time today so i jacked up that one side and checked the tire for possibly the hub being bad and that was good.Got beneath there while still on the stand and started to look around and move the arms and shit my upper is missing one of the bushing.Looks like it ate it all up.

Swamp boy
11-25-2005, 11:21 PM
Fix that shit.....:smt082

Man its a pain in the ass to put those goddamn bushing in...

rrubio
11-26-2005, 12:13 AM
Fix that shit.....:smt082

Man its a pain in the ass to put those goddamn bushing in...
I not going to put no bushing in the arms just going to get a new set of arms.Well not new but in better condition than the one I have with no dents.