PDA

View Full Version : water noises in my dash?

RiPPiNiTuP7
11-21-2005, 03:31 PM
very simple question, but my jeep has been doing this for a long time now and i'm sick of everyone that gets in asking wtf all the noises are. it seems almost everytime i start up my jeep from being cold you can hear all this water like swooshing around somewhere on the passenger side of the dash, after about 2 minutes it goes away. i don't know if this is signs of a bad heater core or what? i don't have any leaks or anything that i can see, just you can hear it and i wanna figure out what it is. i checked my radiator fluid and it was fine....any ideas?

Justheman80
11-24-2005, 11:04 PM
My jeep does the same thing for about 30 seconds when i start it when its cold. I think my noise is comming from the tranny, but i am not real sure if that is the source.

I have no answer to help you out.

gsh
11-25-2005, 11:39 AM
Mine and my wife's does it too. Mine is louder and another thing, it takes longer to have full heat.

I'm pretty sure it's originating from the heater core. I'm gonna flush mine to see if that solves the heat issue. I'm betting the noise will reduce or disappear with a flush as well. I figure the design is just gonna make this noise over time and it will get worse as the gradual clogging process occurs. Periodic flushing of the cooling system is needed anyway.

For the sound I'm hearing in mine, I cannot figure any way for that to be coming from the tranny. Tranny fluid is just too viscous.

Another possibility for that sound is from a clogged plenum drain. It wouldn't go away though and you would have a wet floor on the passenger side.

OverkillZJ
11-25-2005, 11:54 AM
I remember something about air stuck in the system due to a bad radiator cap or something like that, or a leak at the top of th radiator? I don't think it's been discussed on this board, but I've seen it thrown around in past years on NAGCA and JU.

Justheman80
11-25-2005, 11:53 PM
My radiator does not like to keep water in the overflow tank at all. I have checked for leaks in the over flow tank and the hose that goes from the over flow tank to radiator.

I am fairly mechanicaly inclinde but what is a plenum (air intake manifold)? I hate soundong like a such a neewbie.

rob92xj
11-26-2005, 09:30 AM
If you cannot keep coolant in your overflow tank you have a coolant leak. How are you checking for a leak? Pressurize the cooling system, the most common areas for a Jeep to leak coolant is the water pump, radiator, thermostat housing, radiator hoses, heater core hoses, intake manifold(5.2L&5.9L), head gaskets, cylinder head cracked(4.0L). In that order. I cannot tell you how many water pumps are miss diagnosed as a bad freeze plug, coolant will leak down to the oil pan and follow the oil pan rail to the rear of the engine(4.0L).

gsh
11-26-2005, 11:35 PM
A plenum is a chamber in an air handling system. The intake manifold is one. The box where you find the heater core, AC evaporator, blower, and mixing door is another. That's the plenum I'm talking about.

Justheman80
11-27-2005, 07:46 PM
My jeep (4.0l) just started not holding water in the overflow tank. The water level in the radiator does not drop. I really haven't had time to really investigate what is going on.

Thanks for the tips on where to look when I am ready.

on the rocks
12-02-2005, 11:04 AM
My wife has a 04 and the radiator cap leaks, I think the noise is from air being trapped in the heater core, it causes bubles, I am going to replace the cap this weekend and see if it fixes the problem.

beyondhope
01-05-2006, 12:01 PM
Let us know how that works out. I've got a '93 and have the same water noise in the dash when I first start up. I assumed it was coming from the heater core.