PDA

View Full Version : Death wobble issues

J2000_guy
11-20-2005, 02:09 PM
i know this subject has been beat into the ground, and i know that there is plenty of info on it if i search. but none of the info is helping me...

a while back i started getting DW, i knew what caused it and my front was getting worn out so i figured ide just replace everything. this is what i did
~ ALL NEW
- Jks trackbar/bracket
- rusty's tierod
- factory draglink
- upper and lower ball joints
- caster
- steering stabilizer
- alignment/ tires and wheels balanced

i have control arm bushings waiting to be pressed in, and i have new hubs ready to go on. But ive checked the hubs and they are fine so im just replacing them, and my LCA's should be decent.

so now guys what else could be causing this? stering box? what?

BTW this is the best forum ive ran across you guys run a good circus show here :cool:

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
11-21-2005, 12:20 AM
I was battling DW a couple summers ago and after replacing everything as it seems you have done I got some new CA bushings in the JKS arms and that completely cured it.

J2000_guy
11-21-2005, 12:30 AM
thats what i was thinking would cause it. it makes sense. but it also makes sense that if my steering gear was going out and my tires could get side to side movement from a dead spot in the steering box it would cause it. im not 100% sure so i thought ide ask about it. ~ Thanks for any info ~

87XJ
11-21-2005, 01:07 PM
Do you have any play in the steering wheel, or can you grab you steering shaft and move it with our hands??? Might want to check your track bar too, I got dw from a loose track bar, ignored it, then the track bar mount tore off the frt axle and all hell broke lose. just .02

J2000_guy
11-21-2005, 10:29 PM
yes there is some play in my wheel. i wont have a chance to check it out better until the weekend. ill check that and let you guys know what i find.

PassRunnerZJ
11-23-2005, 06:57 PM
Check--visually--your track bar mount on the axle and make sure it isn't ovalled out. I drilled mine out and put a larger bolt and nut on it. Some have welded a steel--not zinc coated--washer and solved the ovaling bolt hole issue.

KeepItCrunk
12-04-2005, 11:56 PM
I just got 31's on my jeep and i had em balanced 2 times, everythings tight, trust me, like, i checked it alllll, and i can;t fucking figure out why im wobbleing. It starts at like 38 and ends at like 42. it like, ever so barely wobbles, almost not noticable other then the fact that i can hear little creaks here and there. My friend had 35 in. boggers and he jsut used a few golfballs and those seemed to work soooo mint for balancing. I don't know if i wanna throw golfballs or airsoft pellets in my tires. like, no wobble at all. I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts of what could be makin this friggen thing wobble, or if that whole golfball/airsoft pellet rumor was true... If that made any sense to you thats awesome, because runnin on 2 hours of sleep in like 3 days.... thanks dudes

PassRunnerZJ
12-05-2005, 12:36 PM
Making sure that things are tight doesn't mean that there isn't slop. In my case the tires (29" at the time) were balanced and the lower track bar bolt was torqued to spec, but the DW was still there. Even putting new LCAs on didn't change anything. It would have taken longer to find the ovaling if I wasn't changing the trackbar bushings, thinking they might be the problem. Once the circle starts ovaling, each of the next occurances of DW will cause the hole to oval a little more as the axle slides back and forth during the wobble.

Again, you have to remove the bolt for the lower track bar and make sure that there isn't any ovaling at all. If there is any, you have to drill it out and use a larger bolt as I did or weld some kind of reinforcement on it and make sure the hole is perfectly round. This is why some people weld a washer over the old hole or weld on a new plate that is thicker.

KeepItCrunk
12-07-2005, 12:34 AM
Ill check that out. I jsut made a double shear TB mount and TB when i was bored at work, i got new poly bushings, ill check that out adn let you guys know if it cure it. thanks

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
12-07-2005, 01:52 AM
Ill check that out. I jsut made a double shear TB mount and TB when i was bored at work, i got new poly bushings, ill check that out adn let you guys know if it cure it. thanks

like kevins trackbar mount? got any pics?

KeepItCrunk
12-07-2005, 06:34 PM
yeah, like kevins, just... home made and heavier, because i make stuff 10x stronger then needed, because ive found thats the only way i can break it...

fredr1980
12-08-2005, 04:18 PM
I had the same problem got the tires blanced a few times and it didn't help. The first problem was that the tie-rod end on the trackbar had hollowed out the hole on the bracket, when I replaced the bracket it solved like 90% of the problem, but I still got death wobble if I hit a pothole over 55MPH. I go wheeling a-lot and as everyone knows, the control arm brackets on the front axle are made out of sheet metal and they get tweeked VERY easyly. Mine would bend up just by flexing. Eventually the passenger side upper and lower brackets ripped off along drivers side lower. Long story short I got the rubicon express set and they are SOLID. I've had them for 6 months now and get zero DW, I can hit a pothole going 75MPH no probems. Might be worth looking into.

Fred R.

KeepItCrunk
05-06-2006, 09:02 PM
I jsut lifted my zj to a full 4 inches with a f>r swap and RK 4'' coils in the front. I got a teraflex adj tack bar, 10 in travel rs9000x's, and now i went from curing my death wobble (which turned out to be a dumbass on a balanceing wheel... i have to everything myself to have it done right...), to absolute crazy insane death wobble. I am using stock control arms, but im using ones without the 2 holes punched in the bushing like factory arms. There from the front of a 97 tj i beleive. Anyways, i was doing about 40 and i hit my first bump on the ride home, the front went insane so naturally i hit the brakes, which intensified it by like 10 times. i ended up going off the road (luckily) into a feild. i got out n looked and everything seemed fine, so i hit about 40 again and it went crazy. I checked absolutely everything there is to check and its all tight. almost an hour of prying and tightening and whatnot. I took it out for another spin and it was like, barely better... but there was noticable improvement i guess... still would never exceed 35 without wobble tho. The only thing that is left is a steering stabilizer and new LCA's. The oens i have visually look fine, no tears, cracks, etc. There basically brand new but thats all i can think of. Im going to go an buy some lca's and a Old Man Emu SD40 SS tomorrow... ill let you know if that does anything.

RiverRat
05-07-2006, 01:59 AM
I started with a 3.5 inch lift with stock CA's and I got DW around 50-60 unless I hit a bump then I could be going slower. I put RE adjustable lowers on with double rubbers and that fixed the problem. The double rubbers refers to my bushings, I have stock style bushings, not the superflex rebuildable type. Speaking of, anyone know the max length those operate at?

Jared