PDA

View Full Version : how much up travel?

luvthejeep
11-19-2005, 01:42 AM
waht do you guys have for uptravel on your shocks, for a standard you can measure the exposed shock rod, imnes approxamately 4 inches up front, im thinking about taking out the spring spacers, and that will leave me with like 2" of up travel. is that ok? im trying to get a baseline here

OverkillZJ
11-19-2005, 02:30 AM
2" is too little, you'll be bottoming out allover the place!

nate
11-19-2005, 07:26 AM
I have 6", 6" down.

norton
11-19-2005, 07:55 AM
how much lift do you have and what size tars?

i have 2" lift and the exposed shock 'rod' is at least 4-5"(i would have to go outside and measure to be sure). ive not really had a chance to flex my shiat reall good, but im pretty sure that only 2" of uptravel isnt going to be enough.

slomatt
12-05-2005, 06:25 PM
As Overkill mentioned, 2" of uptravel will have you bottoming out your shocks pretty easily. If they don't have internal bump stops this could cause some damage.

As far as how much is required, I'd think you only need enough up travel in your suspension to be able to completely stuff your tires into the wheel wells. That amount of course depends on your tire size, trimming, lift height, etc.

For example, I'm running 33" TruXus with approximately 3" of lift with RE shocks built for a 3-4" lift. On both the front and rear I run into the body slightly before I run out of shock (the rear bumper makes a good auditory "stuffed" sound).

http://www.blankwhitepage.com/gallery/albums/deervalley_20050723/IMG_5270.jpg

- Matt