PDA

View Full Version : left turn shaking

BlackDiamondBound
11-17-2005, 08:59 PM
i have had dw in my jeep for a long time, i got the dw gone but now when i turn left, and only left, i get the shakes likes its going to break into dw again, but it doesnt. any ideas? the 3 bolts holding on the steering box are tight. ball joints are good, all bushings are good.

thanks

StinkoMan20X6_
11-17-2005, 09:08 PM
Have you tried the tierod ends?

BlackDiamondBound
11-17-2005, 09:41 PM
yea they seem fine.

BlackDiamondBound
11-17-2005, 11:17 PM
hmm could it be the SS? would it start shaking on left turns because the ss is extended?

OverkillZJ
11-17-2005, 11:27 PM
I ran without a SS for 3 years. the SS will only mask underlying problems. When someone says that a new SS fixed their problem, it only means it's absorbing whatever problem they still have.

gthaefner
11-18-2005, 01:01 AM
think where all the weight goes when you turn left. Lift the right front tire off the ground and see if there is any vertical movement. If you cannot feel any play in the right hub bearing, switch them from side to side to see if the shaking now happens in right turns. Ive had bad wheel bearings and cant feel any movement when i test with my hand
GRANT

BlackDiamondBound
11-19-2005, 09:34 PM
if it was a bad wheel bearing wouldnt i hear it? you know the helicopter sound it makes when it goes bad

BlackDiamondBound
11-26-2005, 10:24 PM
yes? no?

Swamp boy
11-26-2005, 11:29 PM
YOU can check the wheel bearings and ball joints..

I just posted this a few days ago... But here goes again..

You jack it up and support the weight of the vehicle on a jack stand.. Then Grab the wheel at 3 and 9 and wiggle it.. If you get some motion in there. Your unit bearing is bad... Then grab 12 and 6 and if you get motion that way... You will need a ball joint ( Or 2..)

That very well could be your problem...

Give it a shot...

Also.. A bad unit bearing can sometimes be seen by standing in front of the vehicle and looking at the tires.. If it leans to one side or the other unit bearing is probobly the culprit..

BlackDiamondBound
11-27-2005, 12:14 AM
every bad wheel bearing i have had makes a noise, you can hear it as you drive down the road. so can a wheel bearing be bad if it does not make any noise?

Cue-Ball
11-27-2005, 12:21 AM
Check to see if it s loose as Swampy explained, if it is then it is bad EVEN though you can't hear it.

Swamp boy
11-27-2005, 01:54 AM
Yes it can.. Its a unit bearing...The bearing itself may not be bad but the housing that holds it could be coming apart.. (Its a two part unit that is not supposed to come apart..) When it does start getting old it will seperate and cause problems ..It does normally make some noise but it will not always..

I have replaced 2 in my rig that where not makeing any noise but where very loose and caused the tires to lean out visibly... And when I took them off they where sloppy as Lousy ZJ's ass....:D:D

BlackDiamondBound
11-27-2005, 05:56 PM
ok thanks for the knowledge! i will do what you said soon when i find some free time

Jcbzj
11-27-2005, 10:14 PM
If its only when its left it is almost definately the track bar. Mine did that for a while and it ended up being a crack in the unibody under the track bar mount, which was allowing the bracket to flex. I'd check both ends of the track bar and then pull the bracket and check the unibody. If you had bad deathwobble before there is a good chance the same thing could've happened

BlackDiamondBound
12-03-2005, 03:11 PM
uni body looks good, tb is new. i still have not checked the wheel bearings yet...no time..but i'm going wheeling next weekend so i should get to it some time soon