PDA

View Full Version : Jeeps slow to warm up

2jeepsforus
11-17-2005, 03:41 PM
I have a 98 Grand with the 5.9. When I start it I hear a rushing of Coolant(sounds like water mostly), then it just goes away, almost immediately.
My question is this normal and the jeep seems to take forever to bring the engine temperature up. I think that my Thermostat is stuck open.

The A/C works like a champ. When the temp gauge is around 150 I have a good amount of heat coming out of the ducts all the way up too 210, but it just takes forever to heat up.

Thanks,
Dave

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
11-17-2005, 05:34 PM
how long does it take to get up to operating temp?

2jeepsforus
11-17-2005, 08:19 PM
I can drive roughly 2 miles at 60 mph's and I am only at 150 degrees

I drive about another 1.5-2 (4 total) and usually I'm at temp. I try to let every vehicle I drive sit a couple of minutes to let the oil pressure come up also, before I start going no more than 5 mins though

Thanks

2jeepsforus
11-17-2005, 08:20 PM
Sorry about posting in the wrong spot.... I figured I'd get flamed for putting it in here.

Hurricane 4x4
11-17-2005, 10:20 PM
the oil pressure should come up within a matter of seconds... look at your pressure guage

I hear the rushing of water noise when i cold start mine too, espically if I park nose high on a hill. My t-stat seems to be working normally... so I would guess its normal.. maybe just some air trapped in the heater core?

2jeepsforus
11-17-2005, 10:45 PM
My oil pressure gauge is fine... the gauge comes up in seconds

Technically you should let a vehicle warm up before hammering on it on the highway or even a back road...

I know my wife's WJ doesn't do it and I was concerned that I might have a problem.

What 180 degree thermostat do you guys recommend and why the lower degree? Just so it kicks on quicker?

Thanks.
Dave