PDA

View Full Version : tranny pan leak

jeepnzj1
11-17-2005, 01:12 PM
my tranny pan has problem with leaking ive had to do the gasket twice since GSW i did it right before moab and it was good till i got there and started driving it has been dented a little once but i did gasket after that and it was fine for a year. now i just cant get it to seal do you guys have any ideas this time i used the black rtv it was good for 2 days and this morn looked and POS is dripping again WTF. thanks maybe i should just use gasket no rtv.?????

Cue-Ball
11-17-2005, 01:19 PM
I know EXACTLY what you mean, I ahve been dealing with leaks for months now and am going down to the my buddies shop again on 12/1 to tear into it again. Looks like a few of my pan bolts may be stripped this time, we thought we got them all repaired last time.

We used a parer/rubber filter and some dirko rtv (German stuff), thought it would hold but next day leaky leaky.

I know this does not answer your question but I feel your pain.

TrojanMan
11-17-2005, 03:03 PM
If you have it dented wonder if the lip of the pan has a slight curve in it, causing it to leak. I'd take it off and put a straight edge on it to check for flatness. If there's any curve to it, i'd use that as an excuse to get a deep tranny pan.

Cue-Ball
11-17-2005, 03:14 PM
Yea we tried a new pan on mine also a deep one and same thing. I will let you know the final solution on mine after the 1st.

jeepnzj1
11-17-2005, 03:18 PM
i did put a straight edge no highs or lows im going to try rubber gasket from napa and some other goopy stuff some one was telling me about. thanks at least im not alone.lol

Cue-Ball
11-17-2005, 03:21 PM
Trust me you are not alone. I actually have had them tear into mine about 5 times so far, and we are still battling with the freakin' leak.

By the way love the yellow color, were you the one at GSW last year I saw pix of?

jeepnzj1
11-17-2005, 04:54 PM
you even replaced the pan and still had the prob was the leak always from the same spot. yeah i went to gsw05 and cant wait for gsw 06 im hooked im in so cal any one know when gssw is next year id like to go to that event also. please keep me posted on your outcome my jeep just sits i dont drive it often so ill prob not fix it for awhile or till i get bored and want to go wheelin just been so busy lately no time. thanks

Cue-Ball
11-17-2005, 05:32 PM
Okay here is the short version of the story...

I installed one of the deep mopar pans, stripped a few of the bolt holes and while drilling and tapping them for heli-coils I drilled too deep on two of them towards the rear and went into the tail housing (I did not realize it at the time though), it was leaking pretty good after that. I took it down to AW's shop where we removed the deep pan and reinstalled the stock pan, still leaking, then we noticed the holes I drilled. I then took it to a local tranny shop for them to repair, they tore it apart thinking it was the seal between the tail housing and the trans, after they got it together (2 days later) it was still leaking, THEN they put in some die and determined that it was leaking from the holes I drilled, well they wanted like $1900 for a new overdrive unit, f'that. So I work out a deal to trade some 35" MTR's for a new tail housing, the replace the tail housing and it still leaks, they change some gaskets, seals, o-rings, etc. and still leaking, they order a new pan (a deep one) and it they stripped some of the bolts and it still leaked. We dropped the pan again, drilled out all of the bolt holes and installed time-serts in all but two of them, put it all together and it still leaks. The two we could not install time-serts in is where it is leaking and I also think one of the front bolt holes that may be stripped or loose.

I think that takes us up to today.

The thing that pisses me off about the entire f'en thing is after I looked at the "drilled" tail housing, the holes I drilled did not even come close to going all the way through so there is NO F'EN WAY that was causing the problem!!!!! I could see my buddy missing that but the local tranny shop mistaking that, f them.

jeepnzj1
11-17-2005, 05:46 PM
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cue-Ball
11-17-2005, 05:48 PM
Yea like I said this has been going for probably 6 months now.

JeepinHank
11-17-2005, 06:11 PM
Mine has always leaked a bit. I've used hi-temp RTV, mopar gasket maker, and recently installed a reusable mopar rubber tranny pan gasket. It still leaks. Nothing major, never have to add tranny fluid, and I check it pretty regularly. Just enough fluid to make the pan shiny, and I'll get the occasional drip. I've just come to the conclusion that my ZJ is like any other Jeep.... It's not leaking, It's just marking it's territory.

Edit: One other thing I've noticed is that the leaks are most pronounced when the ZJ has been sitting for several days / weeks. Don't know if that's due to all of the fluid settling in the pan, or just because the drips get blown off going down the highway.

Cue-Ball
11-17-2005, 06:18 PM
Well in that case I mark ALOT of territory.

BMRisko
11-17-2005, 06:31 PM
My old ZJ had a leaky pan and when I replaced the entire tranny with a Mopar re-man, the new pan and Mopar rubber seal leaked as well. My '96 does the same thing, even after a gasket change. Yes, I am only torquing the bolts to around 144 in-lbs.

I just live with it for now.

jeepnzj1
11-17-2005, 08:38 PM
i hate to look at my jeep sitting there with a puddle under it, that sucks theres got to be a way

luvthejeep
11-18-2005, 08:54 AM
i puled the pan on the cj and cleaned everything up top and botom, new gasket, and compund on it, slaped it up there and it leaked like a siv. i eneded up having to pull it again a few days later cause it spun a bering, i pulled it off slaped on a shitload of rtv, and tigned the hell out of it, i left the old stuck on gasket there too, just rtv'ed right over it. as i was tignening everything i broke one of the bolts. i said fuckit, hasent leaked a drop, from the pan anyways, the oil pressure sender, now thats a diffrent story...

jeepnzj1
11-18-2005, 01:35 PM
i talked to my tranny friend and he said that after he does them like someone said dont just let it sit he says if he cant drive them when hes done he just lets it run and that helps quite a bit, i figured he was doing that just to heat things up and make them swell before cust came to pick up so it wouldnt be leaking, but im desperate so i tryed. i re did the gasket again went for drive came home after about 15 miles or so parked it and didnt even look i figured i just wasted more time and money, came out this morn and the fucker was dry no leak at least not yet so i dont know if driving it and getting things hot after you do the job helped or what but it worked for me so far.

Cue-Ball
11-18-2005, 02:31 PM
Let us know once you drive it a bit more. Each time we have done mine it has been driven and/or let run to get everything warmed up and well you know the rest.

grnd93
11-18-2005, 02:53 PM
Check the pan and mounting surface for straightness....Use just the gasket, no RTV.....torque the bolts to factory specs. This should keep you leak free.

Cue-Ball
11-18-2005, 02:57 PM
Yea one would fucking think wouldn't they.

But the laws of physics don't usually hold water (or in this case ATF) when it comes to my Heep.

Murphy is my Co-pilot!!!