PDA

View Full Version : Aussie Locker's NEW Aluminum Dana 44 Locker! UPDATE 12/24/2005

BigDaveZJ
11-16-2005, 07:48 PM
http://www.mallcrawlin.com/productreviews/aussielocker44a/announcement.jpg

This last Sunday, Aussie Locker (http://www.offroadlockers.com/) announced the availability of the long-awaited locker for the Aluminum 44. Grand Cherokee owners have been waiting for years for a product to come out that will take their factory Dana 44 to the next step, and it's here.

MallCrawlin will be one of the first places on the internet where you will be able to get a review on this great new product. Aussie Lockers (http://www.offroadlockers.com/) have proven themselves in other applications, so we at MallCrawlin are extremely excited to get one in Project Next Step.

This will be Project Next Step's first modification to take it beyond the basic levels of modification. Next Step is a 98 ZJ Limited with 5.2L V8, a 2" budget boost and JKS quicker disconnects courtesy of Kevin's Off-Road (http://www.kevinsoffroad.com) and 245/75R16 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's. Some items to look forward to in the build are of course the Aussie Locker, Kevin's LP-1 Rock Sliderz, again courtesty of Kevin's Off-Road (http://www.kevinsoffroad.com), and much more to come.

We're anxiously awaiting the arrival of this new product from Aussie Locker (http://www.offroadlockers.com/) and will be getting you the full scoop as soon as we can!

November 15th, 2009: Just a quick update, due to the very limited market for this locker it has been discontinued.

Kraqa
11-17-2005, 12:46 AM
Looks good. Can't wait to see it in action at GSW06.

Cue-Ball
11-17-2005, 02:20 AM
Yea bring it on.

Be sure to hit me up when you need ANY fluids for the project, I will gladly donate them (along with a couple of stickers :supz: )

AussieLocker
11-23-2005, 03:03 PM
The XD14450 Aussie Lockers for the D44A have arrived at the USA warehouse and the existing orders will ship today as promised.

Thank you for the orders and we look forward to your feedback.

BigDaveZJ
11-23-2005, 07:29 PM
Awesome!!

If everything goes well the install in Project Next Step will be taking place on December 4th and we will initial reports after that, and will try to get some trail time in ASAP!

Cue-Ball
11-23-2005, 08:30 PM
Your Amsoil has been ordered you should receive it in a few days :cheer:

BigDaveZJ
12-01-2005, 03:07 PM
The locker and the Amsoil both arrived in the mail yesterday and the install will be happening on Sunday!

Bustin' Loose
12-02-2005, 06:05 PM
I guess this means I'll finally have to start my own thread in the members rig section huh? I've got the pics of her stock. . . Guess we need to start the story.

Looking forward to the install on Sunday.

Thanks Aussie Locker!!!

Looking forward even more to the first test on trail! GSW will be a blast this year! And the Pre-run won't come soon enough. It'll be nice to put the locker through it's paces in Moab.

BigDaveZJ
12-04-2005, 06:47 PM
We dove into it today. Got to the good part, and lo and behold, the fawkin bolt that holds the cross pin was sheared. It didn't happen when we were taking it out, so it must've been that way for a while. So all we ended up accomplishing today was changing the rear diff fluid and the rear brake pads, LOL. We didn't put the Amsoil in yet, gonna wait till the locker's in to do that. We do have some pics of the start of it though, and those will be up sometime here soon. Also some good pics of the locker.

Bustin' Loose
12-04-2005, 06:53 PM
Yup...she's a ho bag. . .

OverkillZJ
12-04-2005, 06:57 PM
Pam, you're Jeep has an attitude problem!

I'll have the carrier from my old axle sent your way shortly so you can git' 'er done.

Bustin' Loose
12-05-2005, 02:46 AM
Pam, you're Jeep has an attitude problem!

ya think??? I told you I always end up calling her a ho bag when we work on her. . .

Thanks Matt...preciate it. Looks like we'll be cranking up the garage heater on Christmas Eve to try and "git' 'er done"

BigDaveZJ
12-06-2005, 03:35 PM
Here's how far we got on Attempt #1. Alot of this stuff is designed to help supplement the installation manual that comes with the locker itself.

Here are our implements of destruction. Amsoil Synethetic Gear Lube from Dirk aka Cue-Ball from www.4x4oil.com (http://www.4x4oil.com), Right Stuff RTV, and the Aussie Locker itself. Note the very simple, yet strong, design of the locker.
http://www.mallcrawlin.com/productreviews/aussielocker44a/install/120062005%20037.jpg

Here is the locker "mocked up" without the springs or pins that actually make it work.
http://www.mallcrawlin.com/productreviews/aussielocker44a/install/120062005%20038.jpg

We jacked up the ZJ and put jackstands under the frame, then allowed the axle to drop a bit, and put jackstands under the axle tubes as well. Being as Next Step only has a 2" Budget Boost right now, the differential is slightly hidden by the gas tank skid, so we lowered the axle as far as the suspension would allow to give us room to work.

Once you have the vehicle safely on the jackstands, remove the wheels and tires, as well as the brakes.
http://www.mallcrawlin.com/productreviews/aussielocker44a/install/120062005%20040.jpg

With a C-clip axle like the ZJ's Aluminum 44, you need to remove the brakes in order to push the axles in to remove the C-clip, which we'll get into later.

Once the brakes are removed, move on to the diff cover. I always like to put a drain pan under the diff as soon as I start undoing the diff cover bolts just in case it starts dumping fluid a little sooner than expected.
http://www.mallcrawlin.com/productreviews/aussielocker44a/install/120062005%20043.jpg

The diff cover may or may not come off just by taking the bolts out. It may take a little convincing with some light tapping of a hammer. Once you have broken the seal on the diff cover, fluid will begin pouring out.
http://www.mallcrawlin.com/productreviews/aussielocker44a/install/120062005%20055.jpg

Here is the inside of the Aluminum Dana 44. With the Aussie Locker being a "lunchbox" locker, it is a very simple install in that you only need to remove the spider gears to install it, rather than the whole carrier.
http://www.mallcrawlin.com/productreviews/aussielocker44a/install/120062005%20058.jpg

Before we remove the spider gears though, there's a couple things we still need to do. It's always a good idea to clean out the diff as best you can of the old fluid and any metal particles that may be in the diff. I like to use non-chlorinated brake cleaner for this. Be sure to be in a well ventilated area when using brake cleaner.
http://www.mallcrawlin.com/productreviews/aussielocker44a/install/120062005%20061.jpg

Another thing to make sure of is that the surfaces of the diff cover and the diff itself where they mate together are as clean as you can possibly get them.
http://www.mallcrawlin.com/productreviews/aussielocker44a/install/120062005%20064.jpg

To make working inside the diff a little easier, we also removed the rear driveshaft to allow us to turn the carrier inside the diff.
http://www.mallcrawlin.com/productreviews/aussielocker44a/install/120062005%20066.jpg

From there, you can either use the pinion yoke or the the carrier to turn things around to get to the bolt that holds the cross-pin in place in the carrier. This is a special kind of bolt, basically a reverse torx, but with care a regular 6-sided socket can be used. Remove this bolt.
http://www.mallcrawlin.com/productreviews/aussielocker44a/install/120062005%20067.jpg

And then hope to hell that the bolt does not look like this when removed:
http://www.mallcrawlin.com/productreviews/aussielocker44a/install/120062005%20073.jpg

This bolt is supposed to several inches long, and frankly, it's not. It sheared inside the carrier and pin somehow, long before we tried to take it out. We had several options at this point, only one of which got Pam's ZJ back into driveable condition so she could go to work the next day. So we put it all back together and pushed off the install a couple weeks so we can get another carrier and bolt. We could have removed the carrier and drilled out that bolt when we did all of this, but then we had no bolt to put it all back together with, so we left it. Current plans have the install slated for Christmas Eve!

12/24/05 Update

Took another shot at it today. Got the blasted bolt ALMOST out, but couldn't get it the last couple threads. Tried drilling it, tried easy outs, kept trying the picks we used to get it that far . . . . . and nothing. So yeah, I'm ready to light Trixy on fire right now and just get the insurance money!! I wish . . .

So we have a couple options left right now. Hack up the carrier with to get the pin out and replace the carrier, or take it to a shop and see if they can do any better. Not sure what we're going to do at this point but we'll let you know!!

BigDaveZJ
12-10-2005, 02:57 PM
Alright, little update for everyone. Got a new bolt on the way and from my research this should actually be a very easy fix getting the old bolt out. Apparently there's only another couple threads actually holding that bolt in, so we're going to try rotating it out with a pin rather than drilling it out. I've talked to a couple mechanics who have done this with great success, so I'm looking forward to getting that taken care of and avoiding pulling the carrier!

Should have another update in 2 weeks when we get ready to dive in to this again. Can ya tell I'm anxious to get it in there?? :D

JpRngr
12-12-2005, 04:28 AM
Dave, for your sake, I hope it does come out easily. If it doesn't, you have 220 now, don't you? My plasma can get that right out of there! LOL!!

DCHZJ
12-13-2005, 11:28 AM
Hope your luck is better than mine.
When i did my 8.8, I had to destroy my carrier to get the bolt out.
Tried the pick, tried to drill it out. A mix of a bad angle and then a broken bit and I replaced the Carrier.

ctx46
12-13-2005, 05:02 PM
snap on makes reverce cut long bits that work great for removing these damn pins...
but let me know if you want a new oe carrier, Im a mechanic for a jeep dealer in MN. I can hook ya up with one...
later
joe

Fry
12-17-2005, 05:38 PM
I had that problem, and I ended up using my stick welder to melt out the end of the pin. After I got the pin out, I took it to work and built it back up with a mig welder and turned it down to size on a lathe. Then I got a socket head screw at the hardware store, it was something like 1/4-20.

Jim311
12-17-2005, 06:22 PM
You can pull the carrier out still even with the crosspin in, right? If so, I'd pull it out and put it in a vice and then just pound the cross pin out. I bet you can break the bolt.. it's pretty thin and not hardened or anything I don't think.

BigDaveZJ
12-17-2005, 06:41 PM
You can pull the carrier out still even with the crosspin in, right? If so, I'd pull it out and put it in a vice and then just pound the cross pin out. I bet you can break the bolt.. it's pretty thin and not hardened or anything I don't think.

That would work just fine on a non C-clip axle . . . but you gotta get that pin out to get the cross shaft out to get the c-clips out to get the shafts out to get the carrier out.

Jim311
12-17-2005, 07:51 PM
That would work just fine on a non C-clip axle . . . but you gotta get that pin out to get the cross shaft out to get the c-clips out to get the shafts out to get the carrier out.

Doh! It's gonna be a real bitch to drill that out, too. There's like NO clearance to fit a drill in there. Hope that pin trick works.

BigDaveZJ
12-24-2005, 07:13 PM
See the 12/24/05 update in the first post.

Cue-Ball
12-24-2005, 07:26 PM
Dave,

Sorry to hear that. Sounds like me and my leaking tranny problem, it never seems to end does it??

Sudz
12-24-2005, 09:35 PM
12/24/05 Update

Took another shot at it today. Got the blasted bolt ALMOST out, but couldn't get it the last couple threads. Tried drilling it, tried easy outs, kept trying the picks we used to get it that far . . . . . and nothing. So yeah, I'm ready to light Trixy on fire right now and just get the insurance money!! I wish . . .

bummer

i'm sittin here trying to think of ways to get that damn thing out

OverkillZJ
12-24-2005, 10:57 PM
Guess I'll be sending you my cerrier, eh?

Jim311
12-25-2005, 01:16 AM
Yo Dave.. you ever heard of an "impact driver" they used to get out screws with rounded out heads? Basically it looks like a big punch but when you nail it with the hammer it turns the impact into a twisting motion as the tip of the impact driver is pushed into the metal of the bolt. I think it might work... assuming you haven't tried it already. There shouldn't be a whole lot of force needed to turn that thing.

JohnBoulderCO
12-25-2005, 01:29 AM
I have used one and yes not much force needed.

Bustin' Loose
12-25-2005, 04:48 AM
Damn ho bag. . .

fr3db3ar
12-26-2005, 10:37 PM
did you try finding a way to turn it back in past the pin ?

1996cc
12-27-2005, 06:23 PM
Not criticizing, just curious.

Why do you post the updates in old posts. Isn't the whole idea of a thread to have the newest information at the end? Kind of a pain to scroll back and forth and between pages. Would just like to know. Thanks,

BigDaveZJ
12-27-2005, 08:22 PM
Not criticizing, just curious.

Why do you post the updates in old posts. Isn't the whole idea of a thread to have the newest information at the end? Kind of a pain to scroll back and forth and between pages. Would just like to know. Thanks,

Because once this is all completed, I will go through and delete all of the other pots not pertaining directly to the locker itself. I want all of the information in one place so that someone does not have to read through pages upon pages of stuff to get the info that they want.

JohnBoulderCO
12-27-2005, 11:04 PM
Good point Dave. You can delete this one too when you are done. Man that little bolt is a POS.

1996cc
12-28-2005, 04:13 PM
See, I new there was a perfectly good reason. I just had to ask.

Read this quick before I disappear from the tread. :)

SCAMPER ZJ
01-01-2006, 06:33 PM
Good reading so far, and nice pics - I'm on the edge of my seat! :D Rascally bolt. I'll check back next week and see how things are going. I can't wait to see how it does on the trail!

JpRngr
01-03-2006, 03:48 AM
Good reading so far, and nice pics - I'm on the edge of my seat! :D Rascally bolt. I'll check back next week and see how things are going. I can't wait to see how it does on the trail!

Don't hold your breath for next week. They're in the Bahamas getting married!:smt117 I doubt you'll see anything for a couple weeks.

Corey

Jim311
01-03-2006, 08:45 AM
I finally went wheeling with my Aussie Locker. I'm astonished at how capable my rig is now. I ended up getting into some rather interesting situations. It turns out that not only can you go further, but you can get stuck a hell of a lot worse as well. :D

OverkillZJ
01-03-2006, 12:33 PM
Don't hold your breath for next week. They're in the Bahamas getting married!:smt117 I doubt you'll see anything for a couple weeks.

Corey

And they need my AL44 carrier which is sitting in my junk pile.

nate
01-08-2006, 04:50 PM
That shit pisses me off when you go to work on something, thinking it's a an easy job and it turns to a nightmare!

DCHZJ
01-10-2006, 10:33 AM
So i did mine this weekend. Got the pin out just to find out that the pin was almost broken at the last 2 threads (Came out on an angle) When i put the pin on the bench it broke in 2 (i will upload a pic later) So now here i am waiting till Jeep has the 2 i ordered in stock on Friday (special order)
So i was lucky for sure. Other then that the locker went in great.

One thing i did not do was the coat hanger trick (it is in the instructions) and the last C-Clip was a pain to get into place (not sure how the hell you get it out) anyways i cannot wait to try it out (maybe this weekend if Jeep comes through with the part).

My carrier has never been apart (i know the original owner) so the fact the pin was almost broken shows you how much C-Cliped axles are. My 8.8 had the same problem, but i had to replace that carrier. so the 2007 project is a new axle. (2006 is a new transfercase and a house)

I will take a shot tonight iof the unit complete in the carrier as i cannot do anything else with it.

N2Deep
01-10-2006, 02:59 PM
I installed mine last weekend and was a lot easier than anticipated:) Always nice when it works out better than expected. I didn't use the coat hanger trick either but was still fairly easy to slide the C-clip in. I am still getting used to the clicking when turning and wondering if I did something wrong and the rear axle is going to explode:) Waiting for it to break-in and quite down.
Heading to Death Valley this weekend so I can test it out.
Swapped in a new steering box from a Dodge Dakota 5.2 4X4 and was a direct bolt in but didn't entirely fix my steering problem. I think I just need to upgrade to a Currie and add a steering brace from Kevin's.

DCHZJ
01-13-2006, 07:05 PM
Well now i am pissed. Jeep ordered the wrong part and then told me that that part (the cross pin holding screw) is not sold without the carrier. So basicly either my local Jeep dealer is a joke or i am screwed.
Anyone know the partnumber or where yopu can get this? Same part Dave broke on his.
Looks like it is Dana part number 43765 PIN-SHAFT LOCK

BigDaveZJ
01-13-2006, 07:22 PM
I was able to get the just the pin no problem from my local dealer. They had to order it and it took a couple days, but they got it. It could very well be the wrong part though as we have not had a chance to get it in yet. But I know the parts guy pretty well and am assuming it's the right part.

Cue-Ball
01-13-2006, 07:40 PM
Here is the part number for the pin

5015 223AA 1 PIN, Differential Shaft

DCHZJ
01-13-2006, 07:54 PM
Here is the part number for the pin

Dirk,
You are the man.
I have to get a part list.
As i was on the phone with a Jeep dealer i see the post and give him the part number. Yep they now know what it is and do not have the part, but the Dodge dealer next door does. Going to get it in the morning.

Cue-Ball
01-13-2006, 08:38 PM
No problem glad I could help.

Just let me know when you are ready to purchase the parts list CD, I also have the FSM on CD for the 97 ZJ.

ctx46
01-19-2006, 02:25 PM
I got my locker in my 98 limited last night and let me tell ya, It makes a hell of a differance!!! I can actually get traction on dry pavement with my V8 (I have swapped a 242 t-case in it)
it will take a bit to get acustomed to the ratcheting noise, but its totally worth it..

later
joe

MikeyM
01-31-2006, 01:32 AM
Joe, how's that ratcheting sound so far? Is it pretty noticable or declined any? How about street maners around corners under accel??

Thanks, Mike.

ctx46
01-31-2006, 02:14 PM
its still very noticable with the windows down, and every one that I have parked by has said, "U better get that CV shaft replaced befor it leave's U on the side of the road". and everytime I have said that its the locker in the rear axle of my jeep, and I have U joints in the front, and one guy even went as far as to crawl under my jeep to look @ what kind of axles I had... lol
its not to teribly bad, but a couple of times it has sounded pretty nasty back there, so i may pull off the cover and just look @ the locker to make sure its all good...

but over all noise wise, and drive ablilty wise its worth it, I have goten it off road kinda, and lets just say that my buddies zj got stuck following me through the same ditch embankment.... :)
later
joe

tzumalt
02-01-2006, 01:34 AM
I am considering this locker for my 98 zj 5.9, but I have a question. I read the info on the aussie web site. They describe the way the locker works but will it work in reverse. That is, if you are backing out of a "situation", will the lockers still work?

Plus, I would like to hear any other experiences with the noise.

DCHZJ
02-01-2006, 09:25 AM
Works in reverse just fine.
As for clicking noise, still have it in mine. Problably will for ever, if you look at the design of it you will see why it clicks, if it stop then i will worry.
Other than that for me no problem off road (nice to have traction) and no problem on road. When you step on the gas on road (got a V8) you can feel the differance for sure.
I yanked my cover off after 1 week just to make sure everything was ok...it was.
The Clicking is not that loud now after 2 weeks, damn my dieing PS pump is noiser. I do notice on real tight turns (like in a tight parking lot) it does grab a little and you will chirp the tires. A little research showed this is just the joy of owning this type of locker.
Would i do it again...damn straight. Will i be switching it out in the future for some other axle...damn straight it is a Dana 44A after all and is C-Clipped (i am bias on c-clipped axles....i hate them). This will hold me over till i have enough for a better axle and untill i need a better axle.

N2Deep
02-01-2006, 01:24 PM
It does quite down a bit after a few weeks, but you can still hear it clicking. I have a 5.2L and can punch it and it tweaks the whole vehicle now-can even leave posi marks on the driveway:supz: Does great off-road and makes your ZJ wayyy more capable- or capable of getting stuck worse:D
The only thing I don't like about it is: It wants to push you in a strait line since both wheels are turning at the same speed and makes it a bit more difficult to control on the road. On the Highway @80 it does just fine. But it could be my crapping steering- Need to replace the setup for a Currie and get rid of my crappy CV axles. That may fix my problem up front.

SuRf 092
02-04-2006, 05:38 PM
I am going to order one monday, but where is the best place to order it from? I am going to order 4.56 Yukon gears from PORC, but they don't carry Aussie Lockers.

BigDaveZJ
02-04-2006, 08:24 PM
You can order the 44A locker directly from from Aussie at www.offroadlockers.com

forexfour
02-13-2006, 05:50 PM
So I have been following this thread since it start, talk about the marathon write up / install, I may die before this is complete.

I have had my Aussie locker 4 weeks now and have not had time to read the directions let alone open it.

Anyone ever plan on a write up on the install? My GF wants to install this in a couple weeks.

Chris

OverkillZJ
02-13-2006, 06:00 PM
I think there should be a write up in a couple weeks... I had some issues with pulling my old carrier that Pam and Dave need since theirs is shot. I got the axle in the garage finally, but as I'm sitting here with the motherload of all sinus infections, I probably won't be able to pull / send it for a couple days.

Jim311
02-15-2006, 11:40 PM
I broke my damn cross pin retainer bolt today when I was installing my new Yukon shafts. I got it out pretty easily, but I had no choice but to thread the two pieces of the bolt back into the cross pin. It's a ghetto fix, but it works for now. The new shafts are supposed to be pretty damn strong. We'll see.

Deltron
02-16-2006, 01:08 AM
did you break your stock ones jim, and how much those yukon shafts set you back.
-dave

fr3db3ar
02-16-2006, 12:46 PM
I broke my damn cross pin retainer bolt today when I was installing my new Yukon shafts. I got it out pretty easily, but I had no choice but to thread the two pieces of the bolt back into the cross pin. It's a ghetto fix, but it works for now. The new shafts are supposed to be pretty damn strong. We'll see.

Since you got it out easy enough....you probably realize it was already broken in there. Same thing happened to my buddy's 35 when we went to install. Luckily one of our other friends had a scrap axle lying around that we could scroung the bolt from.

I can't figure out how they end up breaking though.....there's no real force on them *shrug*

nate
02-16-2006, 01:58 PM
You get that locker put in there Dave?

BigDaveZJ
02-16-2006, 08:05 PM
You get that locker put in there Dave?

Negative. Worked 11 hour days the last two days building out a new store, and have the wedding reception this Saturday. Busy is an understatement right now! But things should quiet down next week, so as soon as Matt ships us the open carrier we need, we should be able to get it in.

Jim311
02-17-2006, 12:05 AM
did you break your stock ones jim, and how much those yukon shafts set you back.
-dave

My driver side one was etched pretty badly. It was causing some strange noise when coasting, so I decided to replace it with some heavy duty Yukons. With wheel bearings it cost me 200 bucks. I "haggled" a little bit with the guy at Randy's ring and pinion. Normally just the shafts without bearings are something like 225.

fr3db3ar
02-27-2006, 09:38 PM
Ok....I couldn't take it any longer :screwy: I had to order my own:D

I'm not as hardcore as you guys......but I damn well have to have this in place to try to keep up with Woody @ the badlands :D

I'm only on 245's...we'll see how she goes.

SuRf 092
03-09-2006, 08:47 PM
Regarding the Aussie Locker 3/8" tire rule, would it make a difference if one axle has two new tires that are within 3/8" of each other and the other axle had 2 old tires that are within 3/8" of each other? This will just be temporary until both axles will have all new tires.

napajeep
03-09-2006, 09:23 PM
Since the locker is only on the rear end, just the 2 rear tires need to be within 3/8" of each other. If you have a NP249, you may have a problem front to rear.

BigDaveZJ
05-23-2006, 01:24 AM
IT'S IN!!! IT'S FREAKING IN!!!!!!

First off, huge thanks to Matt (OverkillZJ) for hooking us up with another carrier and Corey (JpRngr) for having the skills and tools to get it swapped over for us. Of course the night didn't go without incident. No major incidents with the locker though, just a freak windstorm that knocked off a huge ass part of a big ass tree in Corey's front yard!!! Somehow the tree managed to fall RIGHT IN BETWEEN Corey's Rubi and Cristi's ZJ. Very minimal damage to either rig. I know Scott has some pics, as do I, and we'll get pics of the tree up soon as well as finish the install right up.

First impressions of driving in a vehicle behind Pam's ZJ are good. A couple little bangs at the beginning, but once we put some miles on her just a mild ratcheting around corners that Pam didn't even hear from inside the ZJ with the radio on. So it looks like all is well!!!!

fr3db3ar
05-23-2006, 07:28 AM
Yep.....I've got 1000 miles on mine now and you can still hear it ratcheting.....but I don't usually run the radio. It didn't seem to work perfectly at the Badlands for some reason....oh well...it gets me around until I swap in the 8.8 anyway.

BigDaveZJ
05-23-2006, 02:07 PM
Here's a COUPLE pics. Mainly teaser pics since my right pointer and middle finger are taped together and typing is a PITA right now.

Corey and Cristi's Tree:
http://www.mallcrawlin.com/productreviews/aussielocker44a/install/aussielocker033.jpg

Cutting the old carrier out:
http://www.mallcrawlin.com/productreviews/aussielocker44a/install/aussielocker008.jpg

All done!
http://www.mallcrawlin.com/productreviews/aussielocker44a/install/aussielocker065.jpg

shayzj
05-23-2006, 07:19 PM
Goddam Dave I hate your avatar. I am sure that is the intended effect though.

Shay

fr3db3ar
05-23-2006, 08:57 PM
Damn Dave...you cut it open and left it bloody :poke:

OverkillZJ
05-23-2006, 10:14 PM
Glad to see that parts of my ZJ still live on (The carrier) :D

JpRngr
05-24-2006, 12:21 AM
Glad to see that parts of my ZJ still live on (The carrier) :D

Funny, Dave said you'd be happy about that when we were putting it together!:smt040

Bustin' Loose
05-29-2006, 01:14 AM
Okay, after a week of having the locker in, here's my opinion of street driving.

I can barely tell it's there. I only hear the ratcheting when the radio is off and the window's are open. And it really isn't that loud. I only really notice it when I have no radio, open windows and I'm taking a fairly sharp turn or if I am backing up.

I have no problems taking corners. I don't get kicking or hopping. It rides very well.

So, the true test will be in less than two weeks when she hit's moab!! And I'll definately post back up afterward to let you know what I think.

And the full install write up is coming. Right now we're spending all our time on Dave's LA install.

Skyline
06-13-2006, 11:51 AM
I heard there were problems using these with the 249 case? Is that only on the front axle? Or have all you guys switched TCs to 242s or 231s?

I have a V8 with a 249, and while I plan to swap to a 242, it would seem that a rear Aussie would be a better thing to do first if it will work with the 249.

BigDaveZJ
06-13-2006, 12:07 PM
Skyline,
We haven't had any binding issues with Pam's 249 on the street since we installed the Aussie. The torque split is different on the 96-98 249's than the 93-95 so it's possible one would experience more binding with the earlier 249's.

Skyline
06-13-2006, 02:47 PM
Skyline,
We haven't had any binding issues with Pam's 249 on the street since we installed the Aussie. The torque split is different on the 96-98 249's than the 93-95 so it's possible one would experience more binding with the earlier 249's.

Well, mine is an '96, so it sounds OK. Thanks, Dave.

Lbrty9
06-13-2006, 05:51 PM
Okay, after a week of having the locker in, here's my opinion of street driving.

I can barely tell it's there. I only hear the ratcheting when the radio is off and the window's are open. And it really isn't that loud. I only really notice it when I have no radio, open windows and I'm taking a fairly sharp turn or if I am backing up.

I have no problems taking corners. I don't get kicking or hopping. It rides very well.

So, the true test will be in less than two weeks when she hit's moab!! And I'll definately post back up afterward to let you know what I think.

And the full install write up is coming. Right now we're spending all our time on Dave's LA install.

Well, how'd it do and where's the write-up???

BigDaveZJ
06-13-2006, 06:19 PM
Well, how'd it do and where's the write-up???

We just got back last night!!!!

Lbrty9
06-13-2006, 10:07 PM
Must have been an awesome trip!

MikeyM
08-02-2006, 06:31 PM
Hello all. So has anyone tried getting on the gas around turns without spining the tires to see if it locks up?? It seems like a good value for performance upgrade but my main concern would be streetability; especially coming around the freeway onramps and hitting the gas pretty hard around the corners.

Any feedback yet on how it performs offroad in contrast to, say, a Trac-lok?

Thanks, Mike.

usafeod86
08-02-2006, 07:02 PM
I have a WJ and have had it in for about 4 months now and I dont notice it at all when the pavement is dry except for the clicking when the windows are down. Im not a serious wheeler and since my grand has only 2.5 suspension lift and some 31's i dont get too far before im stuck. In my opinion I love it. Its much better than the stock vari-lock(?) that I had before. Im happy with the product but it got a lil pricy having to by new shafts and an open carrier. BUt there arent that many options for the D44A.

MikeyM
08-02-2006, 07:17 PM
Thanks for the info... so you haven't experienced any unpleasantries getting on the gas out of turns?

Thanks, Mike.

usafeod86
08-02-2006, 08:05 PM
nope nothing that i can complain about. If the road is dry it gives me no problems. However if there is dirt or rain on the road the tires will slip a lil and then the locker will engage straightening the jeep out fairly quick.

napajeep
08-02-2006, 09:34 PM
Don't mean to hi-jack here, but, did I see your Jeep on a flatbed a couple of weeks ago Mike? If not, your Jeep has a twin in Napa.

BigDaveZJ
08-02-2006, 09:34 PM
Mikey,
In driving Pam's ZJ every once in a while I have noticed no adverse effects on streetability. I truly can't tell it's back there except for the clicking. With the swaybars disco'd, if you throttle it pretty good it will give you some body lean, but I'm used to that with my ZJ running a spool where it happens all of the time. I've driven her ZJ pretty hard on the street, and it's got a 249 case, so it's not going to lose traction on dry pavement anyways. I am certainly looking forward to this winter though to see how it does in snow.

MikeyM
08-03-2006, 12:27 AM
Thanks for the feedback, guys - that helps alot.

Yeah, that was me. I took my daughter to her vollyball camp way up Hagen Rd, shut it off, and that was when the starter decided to give it's life. After waiting for the TT for 3 hours (they had a CHP audit that day - go figure) and an hour or so at home I had a new starter in it and we were good to go.

This locker sounds awesome. I think I'll make the move on one.

Mike.

zjmikey
08-04-2006, 07:04 PM
Just wanted to comment that I have been running the locker now for almost 6 months.. no problems at all... it does ratchet quite loudly when turning in parking lots, but I have gotten used to it.

when I did the swap I also put in Yukon Alloy shafts and put new bearings and seals in the diff while I was at it..

I have beaten the poop out of it for the past few summer months all over southern california, including big bear, anza borrego, truckhaven hills and Johnson valley.

No issues at all, I serviced the diff today and did NOT notice any metal shaving, and I also pulled the axles just to check the splines, they all looked great..

I am running heavy 35" comp compound Maxxis Creepy Crawlers with Staun beadlocks and the combo has held up great so far...

Definitely makes a HUGe difference off-road, almost isnt fun anymore with an ARB up front and this in the rear combined with the 4-1 just crawl over everything.

wonder371
09-23-2006, 12:31 AM
I'm still holding out on my purchase because I fear how they will act in snow. I drive up to the snow almost every weekend during winter. Any guesses on how you think the Aussie will react to slippery/icy roads?

Thanks In Advance.

zjmikey
09-23-2006, 02:58 AM
I'm still holding out on my purchase because I fear how they will act in snow. I drive up to the snow almost every weekend during winter. Any guesses on how you think the Aussie will react to slippery/icy roads?

Thanks In Advance.

it wont matter that much when you are in 4wd..

if you run in the snow in 4wheel full time, I doubt if you will need to worry

gonecheenin
09-23-2006, 11:02 AM
A automatic locker should act no different then a posi in the snow since the snow doesn't offer enough friction to break a posi loose either

and like was said if your in fulltime your front wheels are pulling you straight anyway

fr3db3ar
09-25-2006, 09:44 AM
Personally I'm looking forward to snow/aussie/2wd :smt033 :smt033

Taz
09-25-2006, 04:50 PM
you know, if i can't find some damn replacement spiders/side gears, I'm going to have to get that locker too. It seems like no one has parts for it, and I can't justify spending > $50 on a used set of spiders....

Or....swap in an 8.8 since the ABS is non functional on my ZJ anyways. I need to find someone to do some welding for me though. that's teh hard part.

Jim311
09-25-2006, 10:09 PM
Taz I'd send you my spiders but I'm keeping them around in case my locker ever explodes or something crazy happens on the trail. It's a hell of a lot easier to swap in a set of spiders than to install a lunchbox locker on the trail.

Taz
09-26-2006, 01:54 PM
Taz I'd send you my spiders but I'm keeping them around in case my locker ever explodes or something crazy happens on the trail. It's a hell of a lot easier to swap in a set of spiders than to install a lunchbox locker on the trail.

I bet. I talked to a friend of a friend who's a certified welder lastnight. We are welding the spiders to teh carrier wed night. how long will the thing last

HuskerZJ
06-10-2007, 06:15 AM
Is there a difference between the trac-lok and open carriers on the 44A? Also do you have any updates on this?

BigDaveZJ
06-10-2007, 10:27 AM
Husker, there absolutely is a difference between the open and lsd carriers for the 44a. You need the open carrier for the Aussie Locker to work properly.

As for an update, we haven't gotten Pam's ZJ on the trail in a while, but it's been doing pretty good on the road. No real adverse reactions to snow with the locker, which was nice.

daverobb@rewedmonton
06-26-2007, 02:25 PM
My Aussie has been in for about 3 months and 6 to 7 thousand KMs. It is noisey. There is a noticable clicking and sometimes a snapping noise when turning sharply and in parking lots and when backing up. If going a little quickly it will scrub and sometimes spin the inside wheel. Care must be taken when cornering if it has started to rain or drizzle and the Jeep is in two wheel drive. Traction is fantastic. It really has more traction in mud and water in 2WD than it had in 4WD, with the open rear. It will push our travel trailer up a muddy or gravel grade in reverse, where before it would spin out. I've even gotten kind of used to the noise and telling those who inquire, that it has a locker.
The Jeep is a '98 ZJ Laredo with a 5.9, 46RE, 242 D44a and D30 combo and my DD.

AQHACowboy
09-04-2007, 08:47 PM
Any more updates on this, I have a buddy wanting to do this and run 33" tires on his d44a. Any and all info welcome.

Jim311
09-12-2007, 11:07 PM
I have one of the original prototype Aussies. I can't recall exactly when I first got it, but it's been at least 40k miles or more with zero problems. I won't claim to be the hardest wheeler on the board, and I only run 33s, but I've had zero problems out of my turd polished 44a. It's got 4.56s and upgraded shafts from Randys also. I have no complaints whatsoever other than that it makes some noise in the parking lot but that's to be expected. It works every time.

AgitatedPancake
10-30-2008, 10:01 PM
Just a bump for aussies sweet ass lockers. This has been in my DD WJ since Feb '06, still looks like new =D

http://www.agitatedpancake.com/random/jeep/diff/dscn3249.JPG

KevinF
10-31-2008, 12:26 AM
Looks brand new! You must change your fluid regularly. I should probably do that too, lol.

Kevin

AgitatedPancake
10-31-2008, 02:12 AM
Looks brand new! You must change your fluid regularly. I should probably do that too, lol.

Kevin

seems like I have to after just about every trip...that damn cover peels back too easily :smt075;)

tharlanjr
10-31-2008, 05:27 AM
Whats the maintanaince issue with these?

I just got an aussie in my d44a and plan to be changing all the fluids, but no idea which to use since this is my first locker...

BTW, I love the traction with this thing, awesome in the dirt!!

AgitatedPancake
10-31-2008, 10:41 AM
pretty much just change the fluids like normal, I think 75-140w gear oil is recommended, just follow the instructions :)

Cue-Ball
10-31-2008, 12:40 PM
Yea I am still working on Dan at RSS to make a D44a HD diff cover, but he is a bit hesitant about doing that at this time.

That would cure the cover peeling issues they you could run some of the Amsoil Severe Gear gear lube and NOT have to change it after ever trip.

Dirk

AgitatedPancake
10-31-2008, 01:56 PM
that I could =D. I think bluetorch already has one in production, CLNinja got that one up and running. I'm thinking of making a skid that sticks out past the rear of the diff enough to protect the bolts also, we will see =D

Cue-Ball
10-31-2008, 02:00 PM
BTF does not have them on the shelf it is a pre-order item (according to the website) but remember I also carry the BTF line so I will check on the covers.

Dirk

Cue-Ball
10-31-2008, 02:03 PM
Okay looks like they should be out shortly so stay tuned.

This would be GREAT I have tons of people asking all the time about covers for this axle. Why it has taken so long for someone to step up and make one I will never understand.

Dirk

AgitatedPancake
10-31-2008, 02:23 PM
Yeah, its about damn time =D

AussieLocker
11-02-2008, 03:54 PM
Whats the maintanaince issue with these?

I just got an aussie in my d44a and plan to be changing all the fluids, but no idea which to use since this is my first locker...

BTW, I love the traction with this thing, awesome in the dirt!!

Use any diff lubricate you like. We like 85/140 dyno conventional lubricant, but any lub works well.

Colorado 5.9
11-03-2008, 03:47 PM
I have a ? for AussieLocker. I noticed that the 14450 is listed on your web site again. Do you really still have some?

I still see some people looking for them on the boards & would like to direct them to your site if you do have some in stock still.

93ZeeJ
11-04-2008, 02:16 AM
that I could =D. I think bluetorch already has one in production, CLNinja got that one up and running. I'm thinking of making a skid that sticks out past the rear of the diff enough to protect the bolts also, we will see =D

yeap :) ( i am CLNinja on the other forums.. would be awesome if i could change my name on here to the same ) Blue Torch Fab should be sending me the very first cover they make here really soon.. its paid for and all, just waiting for them to be finished.

my Mountain Valley Customs skid/truss sticks out a little bit so theres no way for the bolts to get hit.. it would slide right off the skid onto the BTF Cover

and i agree Dirk... it has taken way too long for someone to make covers for the d44a

AussieLocker
11-04-2008, 11:10 AM
I have a ? for AussieLocker. I noticed that the 14450 is listed on your web site again. Do you really still have some?

I still see some people looking for them on the boards & would like to direct them to your site if you do have some in stock still.

Yes, as of today 11-4-08 we have three XD14450 lockers in stock.

Thank you

JimmyG93
11-04-2008, 12:47 PM
That's awesome you guys carry them again. I hope you continue to... I'm looking forward to that btf cover, can't wait!

98ZJ5.9
11-16-2008, 04:17 PM
Yes, as of today 11-4-08 we have three XD14450 lockers in stock.

Thank you

MY FIRST POST on this board!:)

Greetings all. I just ordered the Aussie for "Silver" my 98 5.9L Limited. HOWEVER comma I have a big question which I did not glean off the board. (I found this forum doing an internet search). I THINK all 98 5.9 limited ZJs came with a limited slip inside the D44HD (Aluminum) differential. It is an original axle (although it was rebuilt twice because the carrier bearings were wearing abnormally and then finally the dealer replaced the entire axle, under waranty, back in 2000, no problems since)If thats the case, I need to acquire an open carrier.

Question 1. Does anybody know for sure if it came with limited slip or an open differential? (no there is no tag on it)

Question 2. If I need to obtain an open carrier, other than laying out big bucks to my dealer, what models of vehicle should I try to find to get one out of? (small town, a couple of "auto recyclers" here but not much in there yards)

Colorado 5.9
11-16-2008, 05:33 PM
It most certainly came with a L.S.

Yes you'll need an open carrier. Any D44a open carrier out of a ZJ will work. I'm not sure about WJ's. I got mine from TedZ on the board for a 12 pack.

I think you can get them new from Randy's Ring & Pinion. Of If your familiar with Kolak, I think he can get them too.

Oh, & welcome to the board & eat shit!:flipoff2:

Ds4x4
11-16-2008, 09:02 PM
yes kolak on Jeepforum can get you the open carrier under a $100 i believe.. also anyone that deals with spicer should be able to get them..

*edit.. EAT SHIT

93ZeeJ
11-17-2008, 01:25 AM
congrats on your purchase.. my D44a is out of a 5.9L ZJ and has the Limited Slip. you def have LS and need a new carrier...

X2 on kolak... it would be easiest to email him at Kolak@aol.com

Eat Shit and drink Bleach

98ZJ5.9
11-20-2008, 01:01 AM
Thanks for your FAST input guys!

The open carrier should ship out tomorrow.

The Bluetorch cover is paid for and their e-mail said they would ship ASAP???

The aussies have a tracking # so they are on their way.

Interesting, after I ordered them off the Aussie site, I went back to the store and noticed you could no longer select and add to cart the locker for the aluminum axle. Guess I got very luck and got the last of those 3 they said were in stock.

93ZeeJ
11-20-2008, 02:25 PM
Thanks for your FAST input guys!

The open carrier should ship out tomorrow.

The Bluetorch cover is paid for and their e-mail said they would ship ASAP???

The aussies have a tracking # so they are on their way.

Interesting, after I ordered them off the Aussie site, I went back to the store and noticed you could no longer select and add to cart the locker for the aluminum axle. Guess I got very luck and got the last of those 3 they said were in stock.

Blue Torch is waiting for me to tell them it fits... but im waiting for them to send the fill plug.. lol

i looked everywhere locally but couldnt find the right one.. or else it would already be on

JimmyG93
11-21-2008, 01:37 AM
I just installed my Aussie on Monday and I really like it! I'm running 80/95 gear oil in it... if i run something thicker will it quiet it at all?

JBN311
11-21-2008, 12:23 PM
Give it a while, it should settle down a bit.

JimmyG93
11-22-2008, 04:33 AM
That's what I was thinking... cool.