PDA

View Full Version : front end noise, goes away in 4wd

Hurricane 4x4
11-11-2005, 03:12 PM
Last winter i noticed a noise coming from the front end of my jeep on cold mornings, it sounds like a couple of birds are nesting in there and chirping when i go above about 15 mph. The noise does increase a little with speed, but it does not seem to be that closely related, it will do the same at 20mph as it will at 45mph. Anyway it never was that bad and when spring/summer came around it quit. Now that its beginning to get cold again the same problem is coming back. The noise will go away if i shift into 4wd full time and get on the throttle, but if i am in 4wd and coasting it will still chirp. So I think i've isolated the problem the front part of the drivetrain. All of it is original with 170K on it... hubs, driveshaft, axles.. I have U-Joint type axles and the driveshaft with the double cardan joint at the tcase and single cardan joint at the axle. No vibes and quiet, smooth operation when it is warm (above about 40 degrees )

Any ideas on what to look at first? I would guess the driveshaft, but i would think I would notice at least some sort of vibration if my joints were fried.

I've had the thing up on jackstands and grabbed the wheel to feel for play in the hub bearings... none present

Hurricane 4x4
11-14-2005, 05:56 PM
pulled the front driveshaft... the double cardan joint looks worn out. it makes a bit of noise when i flex it around and feels kinda rough.. i'll still have to wait until a really cold day to find out, but I think it could use a rebuild anyway

rob92xj
11-26-2005, 09:36 AM
get your front driveshaft rebuilt that is where your noise most likely is coming from.

Hurricane 4x4
11-29-2005, 12:36 AM
yeah its my problem for sure...