PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Locker Install

grnd93
11-08-2005, 11:35 PM
Ok, the guy who i bought my ZJ from gave the the Detroit Locker that he used to have installed in the rear. This things been sitting on my shelf for a few months, and I'd like to install it. Anyone got experience swapping diffs? I know it can be a very tedious process getting everything set up correctly. I'd rather not pay someone else to do it if I can just do it myself. Just looking for advice/experiences.

LouisianaZJ
11-09-2005, 01:46 AM
full detroit or detroit ez-locker?

grnd93
11-09-2005, 11:46 AM
Full Detroit i believe...Honestly i haven't even takenit out of the box yet.

OverkillZJ
11-09-2005, 11:48 AM
[rocket science] Then go take it out ot the box and read the directions. [/rocket science]

grnd93
11-09-2005, 02:52 PM
i wish it was that easy. Keep in mind, this is a used locker, probably doesn't have directions. I have a factory service manual, and am quite skilled at wrenching. I was asking if anyone has done this themselves and if there is anything i should watch out for.

OverkillZJ
11-09-2005, 02:55 PM
Ah, got it. It's not much different than replacing the carrier or setting gears. I'll be doing it to my front end (again) since the locker blew up and needs sent in the the warranty. You'll need the ability to pull the bearings off the carrier, measure out the shims, and install it on the Detroit locker since it replaces the carrier.

Is this for a 44 or what?

grnd93
11-09-2005, 03:16 PM
It's for the stock rear.......35 right, or is it a 30? Whatever was factory in 93. So to set it up right I'm guessing a micrometer and dial indicator is needed, correct? The main reason I want to install it is to get it off my shelf, parts arent worth much unless you are using them. The added capability offroad will definitely be a plus, even tho I'm very happy with the ability of my ZJ so far. Thanks for your help.

OverkillZJ
11-09-2005, 03:22 PM
A full detroit locker in a rear 35... I didn't even know Detroit made them for that application...

I think you'd need to be on crack to run a full locker in a 35 let alone with stock shafts, but here's some reading anyway:

http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/reviews/super35d/

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/reviews/yukonsuper35/

grnd93
11-09-2005, 03:53 PM
So with a full locker i run the risk of breaking a shaft? That would not be good. The guy i bought the Jeep from had the thing installed previously, but took it out for some reason, I think he wasn't happy with the on-road manners. I don't think he wheeled it much.

i just read the super 35 article on 4X4wire.com looks like if I want to keep the 35 that would be the way to go, might be more cost effective just to go with a 44 or 8.8 tho

what's the width needed for an 8.8? I've got one in the garage that no one seems to want. It came out of a thunderbird, but I could always grind off the control arm mounts on the case and weld the necessary hardware on. I'd have to throw 5 lug axles in it too, but that's easy. If I can't sell the thing I might look into converting it for Jeep use.

Jim311
11-09-2005, 11:30 PM
Meh, whatever... you can break a 35 easy without a locker. You're increasing your chances of breaking a shaft with ANY locker, but it's not like replacing a shaft is all that difficult. If you can install a full Detroit then swapping a shaft on a trail isn't going to be a big deal. Friends of mine run lockers and 33s without TOO many problems. They break shafts now and then, but it's not a super frequent occurance. Broke one on Guardrail.. took us an hour or so to fix.

LouisianaZJ
11-09-2005, 11:54 PM
[personal opinion]
sell d35 detroit on JU for $200
$200 closer to 8.8 swap, save up another $200 and put the LSD 8.8 in, and save up for a front lockright or something
[/personal opinion]

what size tires you runnin?

if you do decide to put in the locker make sure it is the right gear ratio carrier
ie 3.73+

LouisianaZJ
11-09-2005, 11:56 PM
you want an 8.8 out of an explorer 58" WMS, 31 spline, and 5x4.5" like jeep
Jeep is like 60" close enough

dont know about the t-bird might be 28? 27? spline or something

grnd93
11-10-2005, 12:10 PM
Right now I just have 31's on it, future plans include more lift, but probably no more than 33's

I'll have to take a good look at the locker and see exactly what it is, as well as my 8.8, I know it's a LS 3.73:1 ratio, but not sure on the slpine count. as far as the length goes, do I measure from axle flange to axle flange?

Maybe i'll just install the Detroit and find a spare shaft or 2 to carry when I'm wheeling, should be easy to find, and definitely an easy trail fix, just gotta remember to bring gear lube.

Thanks for all the advice!

Cue-Ball
11-10-2005, 12:31 PM
just gotta remember to bring gear lube.

Don't go anywhere without your LUBE :D

grnd93
11-10-2005, 12:44 PM
Good advice indeed.

Mtn WJ
11-14-2005, 08:37 PM
I recieved the instructions for the detroit with my new axle. Shoot me a fax number and I will fax it to you.

grnd93
11-15-2005, 12:16 PM
PM on the way........I'm going to try to take some pics tonight to help identify this thing.

LouisanaZJ.......Love the avatar, great view!

grnd93
11-16-2005, 12:29 PM
Alright, I fianlly took the locker out of the box. It's definitely a full detroit. I snapped some pics, can post them if anyone wants. I also counted the splines. I counted 30, I'll recheck today. After reading on the Detroit super 35 install on 4X4Wire.com I'm suspection that the previous owner did this, since the stock 35 had 27 spline shafts. I need to change my diff fluid anyway, so I'll pull a shaft, measure the diameter and count the splines. If every thing matches the super 35 specs I'll put the locker back in, find a good diff cover and skid and call it good till I break something.

I also measured the 8.8 that I have. It's 60-3/4 from WMS-WMS. The axles and rotors are 4 lug, so new ones would have to be found, but it seems like it is the right width for a grand. I'm sure the axles are 27 spline also.

BiggerZJ
12-03-2005, 10:42 PM
two things, if you are going to put that locker in the 35 it is an external shim setup. so you dont need to worry about pulling the old bearing off your original carrier to see what the factory shims were, you can see the shims on the outside of your bearing/races just mark driver and pass. side if you are lucky you might just be able to reuse the original shims. if not and you need some shims email me at sloadholdt@gmail.com and ill send you some. i may have missed it but are you installing new gears too or just the locker?
second hope you know how the detroit is in the rear, if its a daily driver you are going to hate it, you would be suprised how many people prefer limited slip or even full spool/welded over the detriot in the rear. and just from that reason i have a detroit for the super 35 kit at my shop for sale CHEAP cause the customer hated it, he went with the true trac and loves it!

LouisianaZJ
12-03-2005, 10:57 PM
never had a problem with the detroit in the baxk of my XJ on the street......

as long as you dont floor it around every turn it will be absolutley fine w/ no excessive tire wear like a spool,,,,

BiggerZJ
12-04-2005, 02:02 PM
the detrioit by nature is just a noisy locker, and jerky at times. dont get me wrong i love it, however ive had a bunch of customers want them switched for a spool or posi unit. i do have to say that most of the ones i have changed out have been in manual trans vehicles, the detroit has better road manners with an auto tranny which you probably have in your zj.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
12-04-2005, 03:00 PM
the detroit is pretty quiet until it unloads. the good thing about a locker, you can blame every rattle, click, clang, bang noise on it.

*BOOM ziiiiing*
"dude your serp belt just got eaten up and your over heating like crazy!"
"ohh nah don't worry about it, its just the locker making noise"