PDA

View Full Version : detroit true track experience please

luvthejeep
11-05-2005, 12:20 AM
hey, im looking for info from people running detroit true tracks up front or rear- info on street and trail is appreceated. im going to take the plunge and finnally build these axles i got and i want some first hand on these cool little units. i would love to get torsens but these are supposedly really close to them and a hell of a lot cheaper

rccolacc
11-05-2005, 01:39 AM
I had one in the rear of an XJ I drove in high school. On the street, it feels no different than an open diff. I was able to get the tires to limit slip a few times while doing u-turns on wet pavement. Off-road, it's no locker, but it's better than a stock limited slip or an open diff. It's probably best suited for a daily driver that runs in mud, not rock crawling or anything. If you have a wheel in the air, it will want to spin a little before the one with traction catches. Tapping the brakes helps the limited slip engage when one wheel has no traction.
Now that I have a ZJ, I'm thinking of getting one for the rear of it. I think there is an application for the Al44.
-RC

Cue-Ball
11-05-2005, 01:43 PM
I have a buddy who runs one in his fron D30, with a full Detroit in the rear 35 and it works great, can't even tell it's there on the street.

DJJordache
11-05-2005, 11:59 PM
would this still work and be ok with a 242 in full time with a truetrac in the front and detroit locker or lockright in hte rear or would it kill the tcase in full time on concrete?

Cue-Ball
11-06-2005, 12:39 AM
The guy I know has the full time 249 case as do I (atleast for now) and it works fine for him.

Michael
11-06-2005, 02:41 AM
what you install a true trac can you reuse the gears and bearings or do you need to replace everything?

Cue-Ball
11-06-2005, 02:45 AM
The trutrac replaces the open carrier and the gears and all are reused.

DJJordache
11-06-2005, 09:44 AM
but you still have to resetup the gears backlash and pinion depth and all right?

luvthejeep
11-07-2005, 12:31 AM
i hear good things but im not hearing "they rock for off road" this rig gets dd duty alot, at least untill my girl ships her car down, im really tempted to go tt f&r but i dont want to go blow a grand and be spining a tire off road, ive been running the stock gears in these axles for a year now and enugh is enugh- 5.2l + 37" + 3.07 gears + od = about 8 mpg and i cant get out of the way for shit- im going to 5.13 gears. (do not flame the gear selection, its done no changing my mind and i dont want to hear anyones crap about it) and im pretty sold on the tt up front but for the rear id like a locker, ive never ridden in a truck with a detroit so i cant say if i could live with it or not- its a tough decision, if i had it my way (with enugh $) id do a ox up front and a arb in the rear but the cash is an issue-, i might just keep wating till i can afford waht i want- any other input? where should i buy my stuff?

luvthejeep
11-07-2005, 12:32 AM
btw if you didnt already know i live in the USVI so snow and that is not here, a crap load of rain though durring the summer but other then that mainly dry

Mtn WJ
11-07-2005, 02:36 PM
I have wheeled with a guy that has a CJ on 35's and a true track in the front of a D30 that has hubs. When he rides the brake a bit it will lock up enough to break the hubs. Which seems pretty decent considering. I do not think I would run one in the rear but in the front I would. I was going to put one in the front my WJ before I had to do an axle swap in the rear. No that I have a detroit in the rear instead of the ARB I plan to go with and ARB in the front to re-use the compressor and all the stuff I have already installed.

Another vote for the True Trac in the front is if you are running CV shafts you may not want a full time locker in the front. You may be breaking CV's more than you like. I am going to risk running an ARB with CV's because in my opinion the CV's will be the weakest link and the cheapest easiest thing to fix. Takes about 30 minutes. With an ARB I will still have one wheel working under power as well to be able to drive my rig to a spot to repair it. This is my logic so it may not apply to yours but you asked for opinions.

I say if the true Trac is a good deal than go for it in the front and put a lunch box locker or similar in the rear.

Texas ZJ1
11-07-2005, 10:58 PM
I'm running the truetrac up front and the detroit locker in the super 35 in the rear with the 249 for over a year without any complaints.

Hunter

egon
11-07-2005, 11:38 PM
I'm running trutracs front and rear in my XJ. I have no complains with how they perform on the trail. On road, with the 242 they work great too, especially in snow. In 2hi they are invisable, unless you mash the gas going around a corner. For a daily driver that gets wheeled hard, I don't think it can be beat.

The ZJ will get a set as soon I get a new rear axle for it.

--Matt

BiggerZJ
12-03-2005, 10:56 PM
i have installed truetracs in both front and rear applications. i wouldnt recomend it for the front, they tend to unlock to often and then violently relock(breaking hubs/shafts) however for the rears my customers havent had any problems, they do leave the ebrake a locked a few clicks to keep constant pressure on both shafts. my rec. truetrac great for the rear dont use in the front.

nate
12-03-2005, 11:31 PM
I was going to put one in the D70 on my truck, but they are $$$. I guess Eaton/Auburn limited slips are better quality and cheaper... this is from a reputable gear shop.