PDA

View Full Version : which box is stronger

jjunk
11-04-2005, 05:50 PM
If you were to get one or the other which is better to turn 35 locked and in the rocks.

Waggy steering box ( I asume were talking grand wageneer) what year

or

J20 ( I asume its a toyota landcruiser) what year

ATL ZJ
11-04-2005, 05:55 PM
If you were to get one or the other which is better to turn 35 locked and in the rocks.

Waggy steering box ( I asume were talking grand wageneer) what year

or

J20 ( I asume its a toyota landcruiser) what year
J20 boxes are from J20 Jeeps. The J20 box is preferable, but damn near impossible to find. Both are 4 bolt boxes, but the larger 3.5" bore on the J20 makes turning comparitively easier. If they were the same price, the J20 is the easy choice. If the Waggy box is significantly cheaper, or more readily available, then it would be preferable. A Waggy box is a huge improvement over the stock box.

dasVettemeister
11-04-2005, 08:16 PM
land cruiser that the F<>CK

Speak much English?:confused:

rob92xj
11-04-2005, 09:11 PM
98-99 Durango box works as well as a J20 box and is easier to find.

jjunk
11-05-2005, 12:09 AM
I have heard that if you go get the box for a waggy from the parts store all they will beable to get you is basically stock cherokee one. Is this statement true.

Also my bad on the j20 coment. sorry

rob92xj
11-05-2005, 01:43 AM
Not sure of that one. But you cannot go wrong with the Durango box.

ATL ZJ
11-05-2005, 12:42 PM
Isn't the durango box 3 bolt?

I think it's the other way around on the parts stores not being able to get J20 boxes. Instead they will give you the waggy box. Cherokee boxes are 3 bolt, so I couldn't see a parts store trying to pass one off as the correct replacement for a 4 bolt Waggy one.

jjunk
11-05-2005, 06:31 PM
I understand that ok. But my delima is what box will turn the 35 with the lockers on.

rob92xj
11-05-2005, 07:29 PM
Durango box will turn your 35's with a front locker. Mounts up the same as a XJ,ZJ and a TJ I have installed them before. I would also invest in a steering box brace/frame reinforcment system of some kind as the pressure on the unibody can cause cracks to develope in the steering box area of the frame.

ATL ZJ
11-05-2005, 11:21 PM
Durango box will turn your 35's with a front locker.

My stock box turned 35s fine with a front locker. So I'll need something else to be impressed. I haven't run it, but I just am not anywhere near sold on a 3 bolt box... Seems like it's another hp30 type "upgrade". :cool:

rob92xj
11-06-2005, 03:27 AM
My stock box has a hard time turning my 31's on my XJ when it's hot.

jjunk
11-06-2005, 02:57 PM
Atlzj As the way I see it you haven't experienced the no steer when running in hard rocks in colorado or moab. WHen you turn the lockers on the steering quits working in a turning situation for some reason. I have seen this in about 5 different jeeps.

ATL ZJ
11-06-2005, 05:23 PM
Atlzj As the way I see it you haven't experienced the no steer when running in hard rocks in colorado or moab. WHen you turn the lockers on the steering quits working in a turning situation for some reason. I have seen this in about 5 different jeeps.

You're right, I've never been on a trail before, you caught me. :gay:

Of course I've seen it firsthand, and even experienced it. If you are trying to turn a 37 straight into a hundred pound rock and move it, you should probably be looking at a 4 bolt box and/or hydro assist anyways. Which brings me back to the original question? Why is a 3 bolt box so great? Enough people on here can raise hands to prove that the ears on a 3 bolt box can be broken pretty easily.

Kraqa
11-06-2005, 11:54 PM
i broke me 3 bolt. doign abotu 10mph on a treail hit the right tire on a ledge, just scrubbed it and snap! tore it off the frame. the 4 bolt has a huge improvment. the 3 bolt setup allows for alot of flex and it torques the bolts, HARD!. The 4 botl sreads itout way more evenly. The 3 botl wouldn't be so bad if the botl were set up in a triangle. but since it is set up like a squar with one side missing that one botl take ALOT of force.

i liek my waggy box.

zjeepin
11-07-2005, 09:23 AM
one more vote for the waggy box, cheap and easy to find, i run 37's and it turns them just fine. of course there are some situations where your tire is up against something or bound up in a rut but rather than ripping the box off the frame back up and try a different line.

jjunk
11-19-2005, 10:31 AM
Talked to the guys at psc and they told me that if my box now turns thr tires fine on the street then what I am experienceing is trying to turn them with the lockers on is the out side tire is trying to turn wider and that is why They won't turn with them on. They said the only way to over come this problem is buying Hydro assist and forceing the tires to move.