PDA

View Full Version : HELP, I NEED HELP with my wheel bearings

TRXSZJ33
11-03-2005, 05:46 PM
ok so its not that big of deal. my wheel bearings have gone south so im gonna swap in xj turdy shafts. my problem is that my current 30 shafts have abs on them and the xj shafts dont. i was wandering if i could just slide the xj shafts in without the abs locking up or something. im not sure how it works. im not worried if the abs light is on as long as it doesnt cause any mechanical probs.

JeepinHank
11-03-2005, 05:57 PM
As far as I know - Yes, you should be fine, but I've gotta ask - why? Unless they're later model XJ shafts, they've got smaller/weaker joints. Well, I guess they might be a little stronger than the CV shafts if that's what you've got.

I assume you're doing this while you're replacing the wheel bearings?

TRXSZJ33
11-03-2005, 06:06 PM
yeah im gonna use it just so i dont have to keep my jeep off the road and im gonna be swapping in another front as soon as it gets set up

2jeepsforus
11-03-2005, 07:36 PM
Hank,
I too have the CV jointed shafts, if the XJ's shafts are smaller and weaker, what ones should I be looking for? I have access to some TJ ones and so on, what year range should I be looking into.

End of Hi-jack... :D

Thanks
Dave

JeepinHank
11-04-2005, 11:48 AM
Later model ZJ shafts will have the 297 / 760x u-joints. I'm pretty sure those are the same size as a stock D44 U-joint. IMO those are good enough for a 33-35" tire depending on your driving style. I believe the TJ shafts are the same as ZJ shafts. Not really sure when the transition took place on XJs. I'd assume somewhere between `96 to `98...

BigDaveZJ
11-04-2005, 11:59 AM
TJ shafts work just fine, it's just the newer TJ hubs will not.

KeepItCrunk
12-05-2005, 12:39 AM
AS far as i know, 1994 was the last year that the weaker 260X u-joints were used in YJ's. My friends 95 had 297X's. But, with a XJ, i think 97 was the first year of the 297X, But some select 96's had 297X's, it was a gamble, like a mid year change you know, i think it came with a certain package. But i know that TJ were always the stronger 297X's. So, 95 YJ 97+ TJ and XJ are all 297X's. As for ZJ shafts, your guess is as god as mine.

DJJordache
12-06-2005, 08:04 PM
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that xj,zj,tj 95+ had 297X and xj,zj,tj 94- had 260X
I think the bearing cap on 260x is like 1" and 297 is like 1 1/8" i think.....

BiggerZJ
12-06-2005, 09:36 PM
to answer your question, you will not have any problems with your brakes, you can even unplung the abs lines from under your hood but that will cause the light to come on, one thing you might want to try, i know you said you dont care about the light but when i first swaped out my axles i unhooked the abs sensor from my hubs and just rolled them up and zip tied the wire and sensor up in the wheel well to the brake hardline. with it like this my light didnt come on, but when i unhooked the abs lines to remove them completely my dash light turned on, so if you dont mind the wires hooked up, hell you could even pull them through the rubber gromet and leave them rolled up under the hood and your light shouldnt come on.

norton
12-07-2005, 10:19 PM
if the abs light comes on, your abs system is going to be completely shut off. they do this so that when the system detects a problem, it wont accidently fuck up and lock your brakes or something else horrible/stupid/bad..etc

so basically if everything isnt exactly how it is supposed to be to be working correctly, it wont work at all.

at least thats what they said on wyotech "how it works" section on the power block :mrgreen:

edit: also, anything anyone says about what joints come on a ZJ for a specific year isnt gonna be completely true. its a gamble. i think dc just likes to fuck with people, or maybe they are just sloppy and cant manage to get everything in a year uniform?