PDA

View Full Version : 4.0L stalling out at stops

LouisianaZJ
11-02-2005, 11:55 AM
96 ZJ 4.0L
specs:
Oil changed 3,000 miles ago
trans fluid about 1/4" from max mark, but shows some slight foaming bubbles on stick
apparent new leak on aux cooler line up front (not gushing fluid though)
serp belt good
good cap and rotors, new battery
fuel filter has about 10,000 mi on it

Problem:
Jeep will shift fine thru the gears, but when you sit at a stop for more than 10seconds it will stumble then stall out
it will also do it shifting between 1 and 2 on the trans shifter at a stop

Not sure what the problem is, but im guessing its either a clogged fuel filter or the t/c locking up or something??

suggestions, never had a problem like this before......

TrojanMan
11-02-2005, 01:49 PM
IAC?

OverkillZJ
11-02-2005, 02:00 PM
I'd think if it was IAC it'd be more of a "stop" than a "stall" - but it's one of the first things I'd check too.

LouisianaZJ
11-02-2005, 02:38 PM
it would stumble once or twice then shut down.

OverkillZJ
11-02-2005, 02:41 PM
Mine was more of a dead stop, but I guess that depends on a lot of other factors. Mine would be running fine then just be off, haha.

PassRunnerZJ
11-07-2005, 03:27 AM
It almost sounds like when my WJ seized up the oil pump/cam sensor signal sendor shaft for the fuel injector firing, but I don't think a '96 has coil packs so unless your distributor shaft started seizing threw the timing off that isn't it. Perhaps crank sesnor indicator? My '95 did that for a while until if finally gave up at the dealership and the were able to pull the codes. Can you get the codes, at least it is a starting point, even if it isn't the final answer.

LouisianaZJ
11-07-2005, 10:35 AM
no codes were in the computer when i did the key trick

changed the tps ans cleaned TB. worked for a day or two now is acting up again

LouisianaZJ
11-07-2005, 04:09 PM
replaced IAC and fuel filter

let it relearn idle after new IAC and FF were installed. idle at 700rpm

playing with the shifter between D R and N. when i put it in D it stalled. had to let it sit a minute before it would start up again. it drives fine at speed, its just at idle there is a problem

again, trans fluid looks fine in color and fluid level and no codes thrown?????

am i looking at some sort of transmission problem? drop pan and replaced filter

would a CPS do this? b/c it would crank but not turn over right after the stall

TrojanMan
11-07-2005, 04:14 PM
Every time i've had stalling problems it's been a bad battery. Just something else to check out. Maybe your battery or alternator is bad.

87XJ
11-07-2005, 07:26 PM
Well to check the t/c, put it in gear, hold the brakes down and give it gas. If the rpm stays low t/c is ok, but if it races to a higher rpm sound like an internal trans or t/c problem.

TrojanMan
02-08-2006, 08:02 PM
crankshaft position sensor (for anybody searching.. I bet your problem is solved by now).