PDA

View Full Version : constantly leaking pinion seals

LouisianaZJ
10-30-2005, 12:44 AM
ok miight be newb tech, but i dont give a fawk :smt039

my rear iron 44 used to leak good from the pinion seal, bearings were trashed and pinion bearings shot to hell. when the hp 30 was regeared got new bearings installed and pinion seal and a differnt yoke that looked 99% new on the seal surface.

front hp30. never leaked on original gears. got 4.56 installed everything from hub to hub replaced. pinion loose after first trip out. gear guy replaced seal and reset torque. now the new d30 seal is leaking like crazy with 3,000mi on them. started leaking bad after two x 500mi highway trips. the d44 had been weeping a little gear oil, but not its leaking bad too.

what the fawk is wrong here. the gear guy came highly recommended all the seals were like spicers or timkins, whatever spicer puts in their kits.

driveshafts are balanced and all new ujoints. all the axle vent lines are new and not clogged or twisted up. gear oil not overfilled, full synthetic

might be some play in the yokes, have not checked yet, doin that tommorow

OverkillZJ
10-30-2005, 02:15 AM
Is this the original yoke? Have you seen the yoke while it was out? I had only 20,000 on one of my yokes (spicer ubolt style) and a groove wore into it causing it to leak no matter new seal or not, since it was actually grooved at the mating surface. It didn't stop until I re geared to a different ratio, causing the groove to be offset from the seal mating surface.

I dunno, just something to think about. Other than that, most pinion leaks are entirely a cosmetic problem since they're just seepage, I think people worry about them too much.

Swamp boy
10-30-2005, 09:03 AM
Didn t you get those done at Steves???? If so go back he will fix it for you..

OR at least figure out why they are leaking...

ON another note..My HP30 doesnt leak at all.. Illl swap you...;-)

LouisianaZJ
10-31-2005, 02:50 AM
both yokes were replaced with differnt "used" ones that were not showing wear

yes, they were done by steve.