PDA

View Full Version : Majorly noisy ass driveline

Jim311
10-28-2005, 11:08 PM
I've had this issue ever since I grenaded my front shaft. I replaced it with a Tom Woods, and have had wicked driveline noise since then. It's a growl whenever I accelerate or come to a stop. I pulled the carrier and the bearings look great.. the pinion bearing looks good as well. So what gives? I'm im cruising at a steady pace it's difficult to hear, but if I accelerate or come to a dead stop you can hear it. It almost sounds like the gears. With the driveshaft disconnected there's a minute amount of play.. you can pull the pinion in and out just a little bit. I'm thinking perhaps the gears need to be reset?

The way I originally broke the front shaft was trying to get up a rocky ledge covered in mud. My wheelbase was fucking me, so I kept trying to keep up the momentum. In other words... I stomped that shit to the floor to try and bounce the rear tires up and over the ledge. Well... it worked, but then I hit the second ledge and came down still on it... bang! Any advice? I'm close to taking it to a mechanic because its practically unbearable now.. extremely annoying. I even called Tom Woods and he more or less told me to go fuck myself. The noise is completely non-existant when I pull the front driveshaft.

shayzj
10-29-2005, 12:54 AM
The pinion should have NO play whatsoever especially in and out.

Shay

Sudz
10-29-2005, 09:36 AM
With the driveshaft disconnected there's a minute amount of play.. you can pull the pinion in and out just a little bit.

pinion bearings need to be under a pre-load of 6-8 in/lbs (used) or 12-15 in/lbs (new) to function properly.

the noise you are hearing is called bearing chatter - at higher speeds the bearing is "bouncing around" because there is no load on it to keep it tight against the race.

you are going to destroy the front axle housing if u keep driving on it

-Sudz

OverkillZJ
10-29-2005, 11:09 AM
Ya, sounds like you killed your pinion bearings, I'm agreeing with the above. Shouldn't have anything to do with the new shaft.

steves88vb
10-29-2005, 11:37 AM
im on the same boat with ya in the d30 pinion bearings crapping out and getting those whinning noise like u explained dealershipp said $1100 to replace all bearing sand carrier i think anyone know any other cheaper ways to fix this ( thinknin about going and getting a hp30 and throwing away the whole damn axle)

OverkillZJ
10-29-2005, 11:38 AM
They want $1100 to replace the pinion bearing?

Shit, I'll do it for half that with a smile :finga:

OverkillZJ
10-29-2005, 12:23 PM
Ususally the crush sleve collapses for a reason though; often by someone incorrectly changing the pinion yoke. I dunno, give it a shot and see what happens.

steves88vb
10-29-2005, 02:59 PM
well thanks for the info sudz, u trying to come to Va and do it now on my zj?

Jim311
10-29-2005, 09:11 PM
Ususally the crush sleve collapses for a reason though; often by someone incorrectly changing the pinion yoke. I dunno, give it a shot and see what happens.

When I grenaded the stock shaft, it could have been too short. I'm thinking that when I came up and then down hard it might have fucked up the crush sleeve, which is why I've got the play that I do. Because like I said... I looked at the bearings and while they do have SOME wear, they aren't excessively worn out. Perhaps I'll try a new crush sleeve.. it's going to be a real bitch to get that preload right

:(

OverkillZJ
10-29-2005, 09:14 PM
Perhaps I'll try a new crush sleeve.. it's going to be a real bitch to get that preload right

:(

Actually, if you don't know what it was before the "incident" - it's going to be IMPOSSIBLE to get it right :finga:

Proper procedure is to measure the preload before any work, change the sleve, then torque it down until you get the same result you had before.

But who here does everything perfectly proper?

AprilzWarrior
10-29-2005, 09:33 PM
The 1st set of gears in my D30 did not have a Crush sleeve when I removed them. When the 2nd set went in, No crush sleeve either.

Ive killed several sets of D30 gears, and now running Superior Gears with Great Luck, and still no Crush Sleeve.

Take it for what its worth.
AW

chadjans
10-30-2005, 12:27 AM
Most reuse existing crush sleaves because new ones are almost imposible to crush. Impact off, impact on.

Chad

OverkillZJ
10-30-2005, 12:36 AM
Most reuse existing crush sleaves because new ones are almost imposible to crush. Impact off, impact on.

Chad

Ya, that'd be me, shhhhhhhh

Jim311
10-30-2005, 10:27 AM
Actually, if you don't know what it was before the "incident" - it's going to be IMPOSSIBLE to get it right :finga:

Proper procedure is to measure the preload before any work, change the sleve, then torque it down until you get the same result you had before.

But who here does everything perfectly proper?

I guess I'll just have to buy a whole new axle then :smt108

OverkillZJ
10-30-2005, 10:53 AM
I guess I'll just have to buy a whole new axle then :smt108

Naaaa, just because the FSM says to do it one way doesn't mean that's the only way that'd get the desired result. :smt025

Jim311
10-30-2005, 04:00 PM
Naaaa, just because the FSM says to do it one way doesn't mean that's the only way that'd get the desired result. :smt025

I might even regear and swap in my 8.8 while I'm at it. I've got all the parts.. might as well go ahead and do it I guess.. sigh.

AprilzWarrior
10-30-2005, 06:22 PM
I might even regear and swap in my 8.8 while I'm at it. I've got all the parts.. might as well go ahead and do it I guess.. sigh.

Nut up and do it... just take your time and post set up pics... I just regeared my 8.8 and its not hard, just time consuming.

AW

Jim311
10-30-2005, 09:41 PM
Nut up and do it... just take your time and post set up pics... I just regeared my 8.8 and its not hard, just time consuming.

AW

I've got to set up gears in both the 8.8 and my 30. I might actually pay somebody to do it. I know a guy who will charge like 300 for both ends.