PDA

View Full Version : Steering box...

danman421
10-26-2005, 01:45 AM
Ok, all this talk about a PSC steering box is too much for me... I only have 32s and nothing crazy since this is my DD but my steering is loose as hell! I just want a box that will tighten up my steering alot without having to weld and modify everything. Any suggestions???

97trxuszj
10-26-2005, 03:35 AM
waggy box drilled and tapped

LouisianaZJ
10-26-2005, 05:22 AM
its prolly nawt the stererinfg box ---probably loose tre's or tbar

danman421
10-26-2005, 06:05 AM
waggy box drilled and tapped Elaborate...

its prolly nawt the stererinfg box ---probably loose tre's or tbar Well its not the tres I know and I have kevins tb conversion so that kind of rules those out. Yes it is the box

Grandsrus
10-26-2005, 01:28 PM
'99-'00 Durango 4x4 box.
Direct bolt in and much stronger.

Kraqa
10-26-2005, 02:08 PM
1980+ steering box. i run one, its a direct bolt on. if you want you can add the 4th bolt for a stronger mount. and the stearing is WAY stronger for the larger tires.

danman421
10-26-2005, 05:00 PM
1980+ steering box. i run one, its a direct bolt on. if you want you can add the 4th bolt for a stronger mount. and the stearing is WAY stronger for the larger tires.

from a waggy? the main problem with mine is the play from age I am assuming (which one will reduce play the most is the one I want)... is this assumption wrong?

LouisianaZJ
10-26-2005, 05:06 PM
a new stock box would eliminate the play... play in the steering box is from the internals wearing out (or cracked unibody monts... check those out too)

I would go with the dodge box personally, and reinforce the mounting points

danman421
10-26-2005, 05:11 PM
a new stock box would eliminate the play... play in the steering box is from the internals wearing out (or cracked unibody monts... check those out too)

I would go with the dodge box personally, and reinforce the mounting points

New or used Dodge?

danman421
10-26-2005, 05:38 PM
How is it a bolt on... This is the picture im getting of the steering gear for an '00 Durango:

http://www.trademotion.com/schematics/images/T/TG98655.gif

LouisianaZJ
10-26-2005, 05:51 PM
99 4x4 v8 durango

A1 CARDONE Part # 277588
Power Steering; 4WD {[Steering Gear] Reman.}

danman421
10-26-2005, 06:55 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, this one:

http://www.rockauto.com/ref/Cardone/277588.jpg

So the ratio, bolt pattern, spline count for pitman arm and everything is the SAME!?

Kraqa
10-27-2005, 12:12 AM
the ratiois difrent. have you tried adjusting the stearing box? there is a small set screw on th top of the box. with a lock nut. i forget withway you turn it btu it will significantly tighten up the stearing. you can get it so tight that you will loose yoru return to center feeling. adjust a bit, go for a drive. if you dont' liek it. re adjust go for a drive. ect.....

danman421
10-27-2005, 06:37 AM
Yes I have adjusted that and it works but but not enough, its still too loose.

8WR_ZJ
02-02-2006, 12:52 PM
found this thread about adjusting the box. i put the waggy box in and it has always had a little play in the wheel. i was wondering which way i turn it so it can tighten up the steering? i turned it clockwise (standing at front of jeep) i helped but now the wheel is harder to turn like stock. I confused help to lonley lost newb out please. thanks

grnd93
02-02-2006, 01:19 PM
Yes I have adjusted that and it works but but not enough, its still too loose.10-26-2005 09:12 PM

If it's still too loose then your box is worn beyond adjustment. From what I've read the Waggy box and the Durango box are direct replacements. The only thing you have to do is drill for the extra hole.

i turned it clockwise (standing at front of jeep) i helped but now the wheel is harder to turn like stock. I confused help to lonley lost newb out please. thanks

If this made your steering wheel harder to turn then you need to back off the adjustment a little. You can do damage by over-adjusting it.

8WR_ZJ
02-02-2006, 03:05 PM
ok then i will put it back to where it was before it got real hard to turn. how can my box have play in it when it is brand new. i bought it rebuilt from oriellys? thanks for the info.

Cue-Ball
02-02-2006, 03:10 PM
One of these days I am sure I will have to deal with this issue also.

grnd93
02-02-2006, 03:25 PM
how can my box have play in it when it is brand new. i bought it rebuilt from oriellys? thanks for the info.

Either the play is not in your box, but other steering components, or you got a bad box from them. It's possible it was not rebuilt correctly, or was mis-adjusted when they rebuilt it. Recirculating-ball (yes, that's what they are called) steering boxes have a dead spot at center. As this box wears the dead spot gets larger, creating the "play". Adjusting the box will bring things back into specs, but the dead spot still may feel a bit strange, especially if you are used to rack-and-pinion sterring.

One of these days I am sure I will have to deal with this issue also.

We all will......With all the work you're doing with your axles, long-arms and 1-ton steering you might consider picking up a new box also.....

I know, "Buy my Amsoil."

Cue-Ball
02-02-2006, 04:08 PM
One of these day I will pick up a box, but it is all I can do to finish what I have already started. And if I am going to get a box I will just save a little and get a PSC one.

nate
02-02-2006, 09:03 PM
turning that bolt on the top is not the proper way to adjust the steering box. Look in the FSM for a good explanation on how to do it right.

CurtP
02-04-2006, 10:02 AM
There is a TSB about adjusting the bolt on top to fix "loose steering" on a Durango. I think someone posted it over on JU. That's the procedure I followed when I adjusted mine, and it helped quite a bit. I don't recall the specifics, but I think the most it could be adjusted was 3/4 - 1 full turn (it might have been less - I don't recall). I should have saved the bulletin, but I'm close to the limit on adjustment, so if it gets loose again, I'll need a new box. I just haven't decided if I'm going to go with the Durango or the PSC. After reading all the problems with cold weather and the PSC, I'm leaning towards the Durango box.

nate
02-04-2006, 11:40 AM
Cold weather and the PCS?? Never heard that problem and I've never had that problem either.

TJeeper
02-05-2006, 01:58 AM
After reading all the problems with cold weather and the PSC

Just to set the record straight, it turned out to be a bad seal in the pump. It took me a while to figure it out, but PSC was good and sent me a new pump. Installed it today, will know how it works out this week.

CurtP
02-05-2006, 02:00 AM
Cold weather and the PCS?? Never heard that problem and I've never had that problem either.
Huh? You posted in the thread right here on this board (and I have seen others post about it on other forums): http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5945

nate
02-05-2006, 01:49 PM
That thread is about steering pumps, not boxes. My truck had all stock steering parts. Putting a PSC box in it when the darn thing finds it's way to Idaho (first one got shipped to Alaska!)

The Jeep has a PSC box right now. I've been running if for about a year and no problems.

CurtP
02-06-2006, 09:08 PM
Thanks Nate for clearing up my misunderstanding. I thought there was a problem with both the pumps and the boxes.