PDA

View Full Version : boneyard zj rearends (spare dana 35)

Michael
10-24-2005, 04:43 PM
so i'm heading to denver area next weekend to get myself another d35 for a spare. anyone know if i can find one, and what year's will work for a drop in to replace mine? mine has 3.73 gears and an open carrier. is there a 35 that comes stock with a tracklock (?) that i should look for that i can just replace the clutch packs or whatever? does the a44 have different brakes than the 35? what should i be looking for so that i don't have to do any modifications or change anything. need to be able to swap it in over the weekend so i can get to school.

on an even more retarded note...what should i keep out of mine for spares besides the shafts, and c-clips? should i just find a way to bring the whole damn thing for a spare on the trail? i'm heading to south america in early december for a month, so i don't want to have to worry about this mo fu anymore.

should i get a new ujoint while i'm swapping it out? what do i need to do about the brakes for the swap? anyone got a few minutes to type me out a quick step by step of what i need to do first or do i just start unbolting shit to get it out and put the new old one in?

when i'm at the junk yard looking for one in the first place, should i check out the gears and axles or anything or should i just pick one and pray?

oh yeah, and where should i go look for one? i live near crested butte (colorado), so i have to drive far anyway.

sorry for the stupid noob questions.

thanks for the help!

OverkillZJ
10-24-2005, 05:17 PM
a 35 or an a44 would work if you got the matching gearing. I THINK that either could come with an LSD but I don't know of any way to tell without cracking the diff or running the VIN - maybe they had a tag though?

SuicideTireZJ
10-24-2005, 05:48 PM
tell you what. You find me an 8.8 and pull it, and I'll trade you for my complete 35c

Ken L
10-24-2005, 06:11 PM
I'm pretty sure that the towing package comes with the trash lock.

Hurricane 4x4
10-24-2005, 06:14 PM
don't think so... mine has the tow package, but the rear diff is open

Swamp boy
10-24-2005, 09:08 PM
The gearing will be on the tag.. Keep the spares and the C clips the rest is junk..

Its pretty much tear one out and put the other in...

it might be better to look for a 44A.. Make sure its a pre 98 They changed the linkage on the WJ..

Good luck

Michael
10-25-2005, 02:51 PM
thanks guys for the quick replys. i think i'm set now. after i disconnect the drive shaft, coils, shocks, and arms...wtf do i do about the brakes? i'll have to take a look at mine when i get home, maybe this is a dumb question.

suicidetire...where do you live?

what is the difference between the d35 and 44a? can i use the rotors and pads for the rear disks on a 35 on a 44a? this sucks if the brakes are different because i just replaced the seals on my calipers.

i guess it boils down to is a 44a better than a 35 with a set of spair shafts?

97trxuszj
10-25-2005, 03:30 PM
I ran a pretty hard trail on my AL44 and it held up fine, one guy blew his open d35 first run, i wouls say get a AL44 and spare shafts and call it good leave it open or it will blow up, also your brake lines there is one line comming back to the rear axle that should have a hard line to a fex line under the body by the left rear upper control arm mount, disco there and get the one with the other axle, your brake will work the same if you swap int he AL44 if you disco there, I just swapped out my buddies d35 of my old AL44, hope that helps

Swamp boy
10-25-2005, 05:28 PM
Yes the brakes from the 44 will fit on the 35 and vice versa..

When you disconnect the brake line put a cap on the end that comes from the rig.. So that you dont loose all your brake fluid... And it will be easier to bleed the brakes..

Its really very easy.

Take of Drive shaft and unbolt the shocks.. Then take bolts out of the lower control arms and Jack the rig up til the coil springs fall out.. Then lower it and take the upper control arms off... Then brake line and you are done.. (Oh yeah... And ABS...)

Good luck..

Carl

OverkillZJ
10-25-2005, 08:25 PM
I'm pretty sure that the towing package comes with the trash lock.

Negative.

JpRngr
10-25-2005, 08:34 PM
http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=47589

matts96zj
10-31-2005, 01:13 AM
fyi, when I swapped my '98 5.9 al44 into my '96 4.0, the drive shaft needed shortened & the yoke on the 44 took a larger u-joint... I just got the adapter joint.

Michael
10-31-2005, 02:38 AM
so you had to have your driveshaft shortened? i'll just get another 35 if i have to deal with that.

Michael
10-31-2005, 02:51 AM
also, if i find one without disc brakes, can i put my disc brake components on it and have everything work right or no? if not, what years should i be looking for?

Tommy
10-31-2005, 05:48 PM
I got one you can have for a 12 pack of guiness here in socal?

Michael
10-31-2005, 08:38 PM
if you got driveway space for a few hours to swap them, i'd come get it in december on my way down to la paz. i might even bring you two cases. was it quiet before you took it out, or is it all bent up? for the money i paid a shop last year to regear mine (read: destroy my diff), i could have bought a curry or dynatrak 35 spline 9". hopefully small claims court will even my wallet out enough to get someone to build me a 8.8.

maybe another 35 will last for a while. i have yet (knock on wood) to break a shaft in mine, but god is it loud.

JpRngr
11-01-2005, 02:44 AM
So, did you talk to the guy in the link I posted? It's still posted, so I assume it's still available. Says he has a ZJ D35 for cheap. Morrison is a suburb(kinda) of Denver.

Corey

Michael
11-01-2005, 08:30 PM
yeah. it doesn't have disc brakes or i'd already have it installed. any other leads?

JpRngr
11-02-2005, 02:03 AM
So swap yours onto it. Not that big of a deal. Very easy to do. If you can swap axles, you should be able to swap the brakes between the two. Just pull the shafts, and swap everything including backing plates.

Corey