PDA

View Full Version : Lockers, Spool, LS???

MassZJ
10-23-2005, 09:16 AM
Ok, so I am going to regear to 5.13's and am thinking about running an ARB in the front and a full spool in the back. Any reason why I should do a limited slip/Detroit in the rear? Starting to look into the Eaton E-Lockers as well for the front. I would like ARB's front and rear, but I dont need a 24kt ZJ quite yet. What would you recommend? 60/14b setup and why? This rig will see some street time and is still my winter DD.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
10-23-2005, 10:02 AM
a detroit will take about anything you throw at it. I would stay away from a spool if you have to drive on the road at all especially in the snow.

OverkillZJ
10-23-2005, 10:27 AM
A Detroit for a 14 bolt can be had NEW for under $450, while the spool is about 150. This is because of the split design carrier, which the Detroit fits in, unlike the typical Detroit's which replace the carrier entirely.

Nothing wrong with a spool in the rear, but they are a pain on the street, and depending on what kind of trails you run can be somewhat unpredictable.

60 front 14 rear: yes. 44 front is a waste of time since it keeps the weakest factors of the 30 (760 style / size ujoints and ears). 60 front can be built bombproof for about 1500-2000 depending on how you choose to build it. 14 bolt because it's half the price to build as strong as a 60 rear. 60 rears are usually 30 spline. you will NOT find a 60 rear that has 35 spline shafts unless it is c-clipped. You can run Dana 70 shafts in a 60 rear but you need to get the spindle bored out. Take it apart before buying it and start measuring, because some 60's don't have enough material to make this possible (many of the ford 60 rears.)

14 bolt has a big ass pumpkin and 30 spline shafts, but the spline angle is different than a Dana. They're comparable to 35 spline 70 shafts. Disc brake conversion on them is easy. The yokes only have strap style, but you can get a ubolt style 1410 yoke for it and run a conversion u-joint.

I'd go check out pirate.com and read the 14 bolt bible, as well as the 60 bible. From front to back!

Jim311
10-23-2005, 12:34 PM
How do you figure a spool is unpredictable on the trail?

I vote for a Detroit.

Kraqa
10-23-2005, 01:12 PM
i runa welded rear (full spool) and its not THAT bad on the street. althoguh mines not a DD but i do drive to and from the trail. and it can handle anything i'l put on it.

and it was free.

Cue-Ball
10-23-2005, 08:42 PM
Yea the 14b can be built really cheap. A friend of mine has one that he is only into about $1000 and it is bad ass. He is actually thinking of importing portals from overseas for his YJ so I have already called dibs on his 14b, although I am not sure that I am going to go more than the HP30/8.8 in the ZJ, I plan on building something with a frame next time, maybe something light enough I can use the ZJ to tow it. Ofcourse this is many years away.

MassZJ
10-23-2005, 10:57 PM
ok, just to clarify, i already have a hp60 front and ff14b rear under the zj... i am looking to regear and lock them now.

with that being said... i really want to spool the rear for the cheap factor as well as the always locked no hassle/air leaking locker. My problem is that this is my dd durning the winter when it snows. I have heard both good and bad about the detroits, so I think I'll be staying away from those. I had an ARB in the 8.8 and loved it. Soooo I guess I'll have to go shell out 1600 for front and rear ARB's.

OverkillZJ
10-23-2005, 11:10 PM
Congratulations - you just answered your own question! LOL

if this is you winter DD, I'd definitely go ARB. I've driven in snow with my Detroit's just fine, but if you get on it, it WILL push you through a turn, and it can be nothing short of dangerous in a maneuver to avoid another vehicle. Same with a spool.

MassZJ
10-24-2005, 07:32 AM
Thats what I figured, but before I drop that kind of cash, I figured I would just double check and see if there was anything else out there that would be better for me. thanks

Congratulations - you just answered your own question! LOL

if this is you winter DD, I'd definitely go ARB. I've driven in snow with my Detroit's just fine, but if you get on it, it WILL push you through a turn, and it can be nothing short of dangerous in a maneuver to avoid another vehicle. Same with a spool.