PDA

View Full Version : torque convertor lock up not....

Taz
10-20-2005, 11:49 AM
...locking. i've noticed over the last couple weeks now that teh tach jumps and my ZJ surges. I'm guessing it's the torque convertor lock up malfunctioning, it only happens at freeway speeds in OD. what would cause this? bad TPS? bad brake switch? the trans was rebuilt and has a new/rebuilt convertor like 40,000 or so ago. it only does it once in a while, maybe a few times in a week...

bill~ns
10-20-2005, 11:56 AM
Bad TPS... can almost guarantee it.

Bill

dasVettemeister
10-20-2005, 02:39 PM
Bad TPS... can almost guarantee it.

Bill

I seriously doubt that. Especially considering (if memory serves me) that the TPS has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with TCC function. Also, a faulty TPS will NEVER cause throttle surges unless you are adding throttle movement beyond a so-called "dead spot". It is most likely the pressure switch or solenoid within the trans valve-body. Another possibility is that the throttle valve cable is out of adjustment, but I seriously doubt that. Check it anyways though because it's the least expensive fix. Good luck, and keep us posted.

MikeyM
10-22-2005, 01:08 AM
Same thing happened to me. It was the TPS. In OD the converter would unlock occasionally and the RPMs would increase a bit then it would be fine then it would happen again then it would be fine. The voltage to the ECU was fluctuating cuz the TPS was wearing out. I've replaced 2 in about 4 years. Heard it's fairly common. Cost was about 40 bucks at Napa. There's also the TPS test in the FM - check the voltage thru the TPS and compare to specs.

Mike.

Taz
10-22-2005, 02:31 AM
It is most likely the pressure switch or solenoid within the trans valve-body. Another possibility is that the throttle valve cable is out of adjustment, but I seriously doubt that. Check it anyways though because it's the least expensive fix. Good luck, and keep us posted.

i wouldnt think anything in teh valve body would go bad in 40,000 miles.....and i KNOW teh TV cable isn't out of adj, I've had it adj inward since the day I got it back from teh shop in Phx.

I have replaced the TPS once w/ a parts store one, but that was like 4-5 yrs ago....

rob92xj
11-26-2005, 09:07 PM
Could be a bad torque converter, most likely though a bad TPS, it is shifting fine then the govenor pressure solenoid and sensor are working fine, the TTC is actually controlled by the 3-4 shift solenoid and TCC solenoids so if it is shifting into 4th fine that eliminated the solenoids. Have a torque converter test performed on it with a scan tool. With the scan tool I use at the dealership I can turn the converter clutch on if the engine stalls the converter is capable of full lock up. I've also rebuilt transmissions in the past and the smallest piece of debris can clog up a valve body passage after a few thousand miles are put on them.
Have you had the engine controller checked for any fault codes?

beyondhope
01-05-2006, 12:42 PM
My torque converter isn't locking at highway speed very often at all. I've been told that it's probably the tranmision control module(TCM). Apparently that is what tells your torque converter to lock up. I've even seen a write up on how to wire your TCM so you can have it lock or unlock on command like a manual shifter. Keep us updated if you fix your problem and if I change my TCM and it fixes my lock up problem I'll let you know.