PDA

View Full Version : Help Save Moab before the 30th of October!

OverkillZJ
10-17-2005, 10:52 PM
This is a land use issue that I think most Jeepers can identify with. Print out the .PDF and get the form mailed in before the deadline so that this world famous wheeling spot can continue to host Jeepers from around the world.

Quote:
The greenies are putting up on hell of a battle to stop the Easter Jeep Safari in Moab! The land use is up for review and the BLM is only taking written comments until the end of the month (Oct. 30th). How you can help:

Print out this form letter in (.pdf), (http://www.creeperjeepers.org/BLM%20form%20EA%202005.pdf)sign it, throw a stamp on it, and mail it out asap! It has to reach the BLM office by 10/30.

Why it is important: the greenies in Moab want to close off our nations meca of off-roading. They are running a major campaign which is why you taking the time (and one stamp) is so important as they have a lot of numbers!

You can read what the Red Rockers 4-Wheel Drive Club put in their newsletter;

A major topic at the last meeting of the Red Rock 4 Wheelers was the status of the 5 year permit and what is happening. Dave Adams our present Land Use Officer and Jeff Stevens, former vice president of the club gave us an up date and it is at best alarming.

The Environmental Assessment (EA) was released to the public on October 1, with a comment period that ends on October 30, 2005. The plan has three possible options, one of which will be chosen and will be not only the guidance for the Red Rock 4 Wheelers, but all permittees for the next 5 years.

Option "A" will issue the permit pretty much as presently configured, with some very minor adjustments. This also gives us Arch Canyon and Hotel rock as additions to the permit. The club also asked for and will be granted exclusive use of some trails on scheduled Safari days. This is the option that we would like to see chosen since it allows the Red Rock 4 Wheelers as well as all other permitted groups and commercial outfitters to continue to run the standard Safari trails.

Option "B" is more severe and is not acceptable as it is presently written. The recommendations under option B are to close all or portions, to permitted use the following: Arch Canyon, Hey Joe Canyon, Hotel Rock, Kane Creek, Tusher Canyon ( part of Seven mile Rim), Pritchett Canyon and Bartlett wash (part of 3D).

Option "C" is No Action or no permit - no Jeep Safari and all permitted activity would cease on the marked trails, This includes all commercial outfitters, and all clubs and organizations that presently come to Moab. This includes Suzuki, Hummer, Cherokees, Broncos and all of the other clubs that apply for permits. This option is not acceptable to the Red Rock 4 Wheelers, but it is the one that our environmental friends are going to try to push through.

We have good reason to believe that SUWA, The Sierra Club, Red Rock Wilderness, and others are planning a major mail campaign to influence the BLM in their decision.

The BLM is not taking e-mail responses. They have specified mailed letters and comments, to be in their hand by October 30, 2005. There is not much time to protect our trails!! Enclosed in the newsletter is a form letter for you to use as a guide. Please fill it out or draft your own comments and send them to the BLM NOW.

The BLM in their defense, makes the case for the issuance of the permit under option A, however they can be influenced by large numbers of comments being submitted. That is why it is imperative for us to react. Feel free to make copies of the form and spread it around to your friends that enjoy 4 wheeling in the Moab area.

If you would like a copy of the EA, you can phone the Moab BLM office at (435)- 259-2100 between 8 and 4:30 Monday thru Friday. When you request a copy, be sure and ask to be placed on the mailing list for the record of decision on the EA.

You will be looking for Draft Environmental Assessment UT-060-2005-080. It is about 65 pages and is very eye-opening about the process.

During the scoping phase of the EA, the BLM received 176 comments from interested parties, most of which were opposed to the Safari. The BLM addresses these in the EA and pretty much puts most of them to rest, but that won’t stop the environmental groups to send tons of letters to the BLM.

The preferred method is a personal letter. Form letters are OK because they add to the count. Petitions, while seeming to be effective in some government arenas, are only treated as one response, no matter how many names are on the petition.

Remember, this not only affects the Red Rock 4 Wheelers, but all permitted and commercial uses. The BLM is quick to point out that they would prefer to have organized events, since they tend to be more responsible to the permit requirements and stay on the marked trails. This will not affect individual travel on any of the trails. You will still be allowed to come to Moab and enjoy the scenery and the fabulous trails, but you will not be allowed to have any type of organized activity if we don’t respond NOW!!

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

Kraqa
10-17-2005, 11:42 PM
i'm on it

Cody
10-24-2005, 07:50 PM
get this done ladies...tick tock

OverkillZJ
10-24-2005, 10:12 PM
get this done ladies...tick tock

Word. I sent mine in last week, and made my whole family do it, LOL.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
10-24-2005, 11:48 PM
done sucka, when i make it to GSW09 i want to be able to wheel! ;)