PDA

View Full Version : flexplate coming loose?

Hurricane 4x4
10-16-2005, 06:52 PM
I have heard that some have had a problem with the torque converter coming loose from the flex-plate on a 4.0 grand. Mine has a loud rattle that seems to come from the trans bell housing. It sounds like a catalytic converter that has gone bad, but only louder. Could this be my problem?

I noticed it for the first time this morning. When I start the motor and it revs up and then drops a bit it will rattle. I have not had much time to look at it, but it does not sound like it is coming from the catalytic converter (which is brand new, the old one rattled). It does not rattle all the time, only at this certain RPM (slightly above idle)

Also I noticed my rear main seal is leaking a bit... any tips on replacement? I hear it can be done without removing the transmission.

Thanks

TrojanMan
10-16-2005, 07:29 PM
If there's any rattle coming from what you're talking about, it would be a torque converter-to-flexplate bolt. You can easily check this by removing the torque converter access cover (only 3 bolts I think) and one or more of the bolts would be sitting at the bottom of the belhousing. They're pretty easy to put back on.

Also, yes the rear main seal can be done without removing the tranny, check the write up in the FAQ/write-up section.

Hurricane 4x4
10-16-2005, 07:33 PM
awesome, thanks for the reply

TrojanMan
10-16-2005, 07:51 PM
no problem. if you need anything else just ask.

*edit* just so you know, the flexplate-to-torque converter bolts are about 1/2" long and maybe 1/2" bolt head