PDA

View Full Version : Interco trxus MT or bfg MT

norton
10-12-2005, 04:34 PM
been looking at both. i found a good deal at tirepackage.com for either.

both packages have mounting/balancing and shipping included along with some 15x8 steelies with 3.75 bs

4 33x10.50 bfgs for $790

4 33x12.50 intercos for $720

ive got a few concerns. #1 being mileage. i know bfgs can get 30-40k. but i cant find shiat on the intercos mileage. i do know someone who is running them in a 37 and has been very pleased with the off-road performance. but he hasnt had them long soooo once again the mileage isnt there.

the bfg is really a 32.8 and the inercos are true 33's. im only gonna be at 2" plus plenty of cutting/pounding. i dont think that .2 is gonna be an issue but lemme know what you guys think. what i do think might become an issue is the 12.50 rubbing on the CAs. maybe someone will chime in on that but i know theres no way to know whats gonna rub till i slap em on.

i like this smiley:smt067

OverkillZJ
10-12-2005, 05:52 PM
I'd go BFG MT hands down. Trxus performs well, but don't expect it to last long at all.

rob92xj
10-12-2005, 06:23 PM
I have BF Goodrich Mud Terrains in a 331x10.5x15 on my XJ and have over 60000 miles on them and still plenty of tread left on them.:drinkers:

Jim311
10-12-2005, 07:33 PM
I have the Intercos..I just checked the freight bill on when my tires were delivered... 2/2/04. I drive roughly 15k miles per year... they've got maybe 60-75% tread. The best wearing one is probably 85-90% tread. They'd have worn much better if I'd rotated them more frequently and didn't constantly have alignment problems. I think you could get 35 or 40k outta them if you were diligent with alignment and rotation... if not more. Unfortunately I am not diligent with either of those things, so I will suffer the consequences. Check the durometer of the tire and see how it compares to the BFGs.. I'd be willing to bet it's slightly softer, but it's not a super sticky tire by any means.

norton
10-13-2005, 02:09 AM
im sure everyone has said this and it doesnt turn out to be completely true .. BUT

i do plan on rotating these faithfully with every oil change (which IS something i already do faithfully every 3-3.5k miles)

hopefully someone else with the intercos will chime in with another milage report. i almost knew id get alot of responses for the bfg seeing as how its been used and loved by many.

another thing is that im sure id get slightly better gas milage with a 10.50 vs a 12.50 so that is another factor in bfgs favor.

shiiiiit i just got done cramming for my math mid-term (i think i put in a solid 5 hours) i think its time for some:weedman: 'night boys

SuicideTireZJ
10-13-2005, 03:36 AM
I had the interco's in a 31." Believe it or not, they were better off-road than my 32" BFG's were... seriously.

As far as milage goes, well, I'm a dumbass kid and would smoke the tires and only rotated them once over the year I had them. I drove probably 12K miles and have about 70% tread on 'em.

You could easily go 40K on a set of 33's if you're not stupid like I was.

Good luck on math. I smoked a little too much after studying for my Solids test last night and I'm pretty sure I rocked the test today.

Your results may vary.

Michael
10-14-2005, 03:37 PM
i have the trxus mt's. put them on about 30k ago and didn't rotate them since. the fronts wore out because my alignment was messed up, but the rears still have about half tread on them. new fronts now, and will start rotating them. the 30k miles breaks down as follows. about 20k highway, 2k around town, 8k on dirt/sand/mud/rocks including 2 trips down and up the baja peninsula offroad. they get great traction in the snow, and on the ice without studs. thats the reason i and about half the people in snow country run these. not a single flat or problem yet. make sure you rotate them. they are very quiet, and handle well on road/highway too.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
10-15-2005, 02:01 PM
for what its worth I got just as many miles out of my BFG M/T's as I did out of my BFG A/T's. I'll probably be buying another set of the BFG's just because I know they work well.

RollinBallsDeep
11-09-2005, 07:43 PM
I've got the trxus MT's on my tow truck and I have got 12k on them and they are done. I hate them and would not recommend to anyone I know. I've always had goot luck with the BFG's.

MendoZJ
11-09-2005, 08:03 PM
I run both BFG's and Trxus on my ZJ. Both are awesome you cant really go wrong. Id say the trxus are better in the mud because of their side lugs and soft compound. The BFGs are a harder rubber and will last longer on the street.

BFG's
http://www.puderproductions.net/Pictures/Cayucos%2012-5-04/ZJRockTrail3JPG.jpg

Trxus
http://www.puderproductions.net/Pictures/Cayucos%203-5-05/ZJRockFlex.jpg

Jim311
11-09-2005, 11:34 PM
I've got the trxus MT's on my tow truck and I have got 12k on them and they are done. I hate them and would not recommend to anyone I know. I've always had goot luck with the BFG's.

On a fucking TOW TRUCK? What the fuck do you expect? I've got 20k+ on my set and even the worst tire I've got is only at 50-60%. Your rig is either heavy, or you suck at rotating. Or maybe you run a full spool.

RollinBallsDeep
11-10-2005, 09:39 PM
On a fucking TOW TRUCK? What the fuck do you expect? I've got 20k+ on my set and even the worst tire I've got is only at 50-60%. Your rig is either heavy, or you suck at rotating. Or maybe you run a full spool.

It may be heavy but they should of lasted longer than that. They get rotated every 4k so its not rotating and its got no spool. I've got friends with boggers on their trucks that are alot more heavy than my truck and have gotten more miles. I just dont like them but thats my opinion.

KeepItCrunk
01-12-2006, 11:23 PM
Id go BFG mt without a doubt. I got 31 in sts radials, and they wobble like shit, i cant even imagine something bigger and mroe aggressive by swamper... not talkin smack about em but i mean damn, they wobble. Ive had friends, and ive had expiriance with bfg, they ride like a stock 235-75-15. No wobble, at all, balanced out so easy. like, i had 33 12.50's and like, 1 wheel had 1.5, 2 wheels had 1 and 1 wheel had .5. I can safely say outta everyone i wheel with i was the only one who confidently leg go of the wheel at any highway speed and tracked perfectly straight. (i made a new record with my friends too, 24 miles without touching the wheel with my hands, yyeeaaahhh) anyways, i had that pair for like 7k or somehting, i forget, but i measured it against a my new tire, and they only had 1/16th of an inch wear on them, and that aint bad at allll. they were just as loud as my sts radials, maybe even quieter in ym opinion. Too bad u weren;t closer, i only want 650 for all 5 of my bfgs. 4 have 1/16'' wear and one is untouched. and then for an extra 250 i got 4 classic 2's, 2 months on a car in the summer, kid didnt like, im gettin rid of em for him. 5 on 4.5 patter, 15/8 with 3 5/16 bs.
long story short, BFG ALL THE WAYYYYY

Jim311
01-13-2006, 01:06 AM
Every set of BFG MTs I've seen got sand between the bead and leaked like hell after wheeling. Something about that "bead protector" section of the sidewall traps it in there when it's aired down. Majorly shitty. My friend had to break the beads on two of his to rinse out the dirt from the bead. Same with another friend of mine who has them on his TJ.

wonder371
01-13-2006, 07:33 PM
It may be heavy but they should of lasted longer than that. They get rotated every 4k so its not rotating and its got no spool. I've got friends with boggers on their trucks that are alot more heavy than my truck and have gotten more miles. I just dont like them but thats my opinion.

wait... im confused... why did you reccomend them [trxus] to me...? I am deciding between the same two sets of tires for my wj, so thanks for starting the thread. (I drive a lot of miles, mostly highways, but looking for a tire that will perform good in the snow as well).

goldensd
01-13-2006, 08:22 PM
I just put on the Trxus, so I can't personally vouch for the mileage, but in talking to a few people while deciding on mine, most that have trouble with real short mileage are heavier trucks than ours. I can't wait to get them off road to verify that performance, but what I do know so far is that these are super quiet on the road, I have no more noise than I had with my M/T BAJA Radial MTX's, and these seemed pretty sticky in the snow a few weekends ago.

These are pretty soft and I would agree they won't last longer the BFG's, but if your ok with the risk of possibly only getting 40k out of them (for me thats 7-8 years), and want something that performs awesome, looks awesome, and isn't on every other truck you see, then go Trxus!!!

Jim311
01-14-2006, 02:21 AM
The siping supposedly makes them good in the snow, too. I know they aren't bad on the slick wet roads here.

nate
01-14-2006, 01:12 PM
They are awesome on snow and ice. They seem to wear pretty good, though I haven't personally run them.

I have BFG M/Ts on my tow rig. Have about 8000 miles on them and they are in like new shape. Truck weighs about 7000lbs empty, but most of that mileage I was sitting at around ~9400lbs. (When I moved from AK)...

Michael
01-21-2006, 04:31 PM
I drive about 20 miles each day over snow covered roads 6-7 months of the year, and the trxus performs well. i think the tighter inside thread pattern and siping helps a lot. i've put about 5000 miles offroad through six of these so far without any rips, tears, punctures - even when trying to fuck one up, i couldn't do it. they do well on the highway too, but they aren't the best in the rain.

nate
01-21-2006, 04:50 PM
I was damn inpressed with the Truxus on ice. Anchorage has icy roads basically the whole winter.

My buddy was running a set of the them, 31 or 32s on a Dodge Dakota with a built 318 in it. Unless he really drove stupid, the truck was like it was glued to the icy roads. The tires lasted him about a year... but that's because of the heavy foot and a built engine. Stomp on the gas and the back tires would just smoke :D

If your deciding between the two, I say get the BFGs and sipe them, or just get the Truxus. They are a softer rubber than the BFGs, but on something light like a ZJ, I don't think it will be horrible. Now putting them on a tow truck and expecting them to last... well that's just retarded.