PDA

View Full Version : Beefier Steering

ILikeMud
10-12-2005, 12:35 PM
Since I'm swapping out to full lenght axles come spring and running bigger tires, it's time to look into beefing up my steering.
I'm looking into the Chevy 1ton steering swap but I'm not find too much info, the how to it gone or I'm I just blind.

What other options are there? I'm going to be running d60s and 35s. I want to do this once and do it right.
Should I look into a hydro assist for tires in this size?

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
10-12-2005, 12:52 PM
think you have a little learning to go before you step up from stock to D60's and 35's. but search on here and NAGCA/Pirate/hell even JU for steering options. Cheapest and strongest will be to make your own out of DOM.

ILikeMud
10-12-2005, 01:00 PM
I know I've got learnign to do but least I want to do the learning and I'm not expecting people to give me answers, I've got no problem looking for them myself.
As for moving up to the d60s and 35s. Might be a bit of a jump from my 30s and 2" BB but I feel I'm ready, I really want to get some clearence with this thing, have it built strong and have something I can add to.

I'll start searching around for steering options on all the boards I'm on.
Cheapest/strongest is to build it out of DOM eh? Hmmm....I could look into it since I'm in school to be a machinist.

97trxuszj
10-12-2005, 01:38 PM
Here you go PSC steering box and 1 ton setup, next time post in the newb section

http://www.nagca.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16005

ATL ZJ
10-12-2005, 01:39 PM
You might as well look at a little larger meats if you're going to the expense and trouble of swapping in 60s. You're looking at doing driveshafts since 60 yokes are huge comparitively, not to mention fabbing some serious links, and beefing the unibody some to handle the weight of axles that heavy. You might as well run highsteer arms, and use either heims, or some big tie rod ends. I'm assuming you're looking at something driver drop, like a 79 ford, rather than running a chevy front and swapping in a d300 or something.

If you're serious about doing this, I would go to the parts store and compare the size of the so-called "chevy 1 ton TREs" to the tie rod ends that fit the knuckles stock on that 60. Better yet, I would call a vendor of d60 highsteer arms (BTF is one), and ask what tie rod ends their arms use. You'll want to run crossover anyways probably. The tie tod end that has the hole for the steering stabilizer, used for the connection to make the inverted T in the "chevy 1 ton" setup tends to be the weak point. Or you can just run heims. There are plenty of options.

ATL ZJ
10-12-2005, 01:49 PM
As for hydro assist, yes. I would highly recommend a Waggy box, tapped, and either a 1.5" or 1.75" ram. Technically, you should be able to do it for under $200 very easily. Here is a link to a good writeup:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=20532

If you're looking for the easy (but expensive) way out:

www.pscpowersteer.com

ILikeMud
10-12-2005, 06:08 PM
Thanks for the info guys.

ILikeMud
12-03-2005, 01:12 AM
Bring this back up.

I've been doing some research on steering in general and also high steer set ups. Now I'm wondering if a Heim joint instead of a TRE would be stronger? I'm thinking it would be as you would have a huge heim joint in there, also most aftermarket high steer arms run heim joints.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
12-03-2005, 01:39 AM
I used to run heims on some stuff and they always got packed with dirt/water/shit and I ended up replacing 2 heims in 6 months. Id stick with TREs but its up to you.

ILikeMud
12-03-2005, 01:44 AM
I'm not too worried about replacing them, gonna look for rebuildable if I can find them.
I just want something that can take the beating.

nate
12-03-2005, 03:23 PM
The setup I run with Chevy 1/2 ton TREs like a lot of people have done works pretty good.