PDA

View Full Version : problems with 2Low in 231

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
10-11-2005, 12:41 AM
Well I've got a line on a 231 with 4:1 and 2low which is good enough for the kind of wheeling I do. However I have heard of issues with the TC not staying in 2Low under a load and can pop out of gear, damage internals, etc. Is there a way to test things out before I swap it in? It has been rebuilt with the new tera gear and chain. Thanks.

p.s. the search turned up nada mucho.

ATL ZJ
10-11-2005, 01:37 AM
Spend 10 or 15 minutes shifting it by hand through all ranges multiple times using a 9/16" wrench on the shifter tab. Make sure it shifts moderately smoothly and stays in the range you select when the input turns. Pay close attention to both outputs as you spin the input by hand. Notice which ones spin and you should be able to see any reduction from the lower gears in 4lo (and 2lo in your case). I haven't heard of any such thing as 2lo causing major carnage. I would say just put it in and don't worry about it until it happens, if that unlikely circumstance even comes about in the first place.

OverkillZJ
10-11-2005, 01:39 AM
I've never once had it pop out of 2-low. You've seen me drive, I'm not exactly easy on it.

BigDaveZJ
10-11-2005, 11:05 AM
I've never once had it pop out of 2-low. You've seen me drive, I'm not exactly easy on it.

And he usually forgets to put it in 4Lo when he needs it. I can't even count how many times I've had to yell "FOUR!!!" at him when we're wheeling. It's like I'm a real shitty golfer or something.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
10-11-2005, 02:00 PM
thanks, i'll be looking into it.