PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about some big freaking tires.

OverkillZJ
10-10-2005, 03:09 PM
With my current buggy build and the 14bolt rear / 60 front 35 inner/outer axles + atlasII... I've started considering various tires. Big tires.

I'm not going with MTR's just because of the sheer cost of the larger tires, and how much they can suck in the muck around here. While I like the rocks the most, it's just not what we have around here. So I'm looking for something decent in the mixed rock/slush as well as good traction for my yearly Moab / CO trip.

I began considering the 39.5” IROKS until I saw there is an Irok just shy of 42”. That’s got my vote so far. Bias ply.

Anyone have any input, suggestions, actual experience running these? Other than that, I’ve thought about TSL’s.

Also – suggestions on good pricing for them?

ATL ZJ
10-10-2005, 04:17 PM
With my current buggy build and the 14bolt rear / 60 front 35 inner/outer axles + atlasII... I've started considering various tires. Big tires.

I'm not going with MTR's just because of the sheer cost of the larger tires, and how much they can suck in the muck around here. While I like the rocks the most, it's just not what we have around here. So I'm looking for something decent in the mixed rock/slush as well as good traction for my yearly Moab / CO trip.

I began considering the 39.5” IROKS until I saw there is an Irok just shy of 42”. That’s got my vote so far. Bias ply.

Anyone have any input, suggestions, actual experience running these? Other than that, I’ve thought about TSL’s.

Also – suggestions on good pricing for them?
Considering that maybe five people on this board have run any tire that large, perhaps you'd get more insightful responses on another board. We all know that the opinions that count the most come from people who have actually tried/ done something.

That said, every Irok I've seen in action has done really well.

Pricing wise, I know a lot of people on Pirate buy tires through Sam's offroad: http://www.samsoffroad.com/samsoffroadsto/index.html

OverkillZJ
10-10-2005, 04:23 PM
Thanks Cam, I'll check out sams offroad, thats the kinda reply i like, haha.

how's the head, been hit with any flying hubs lately? :finga:

Jim311
10-10-2005, 06:37 PM
I think you'll be disappointed in the IROKs for mud and slush personally. I haven't been impressed with them in the mud over here. Have you considered a cut Bogger or TSL?

Trusty
10-11-2005, 05:20 PM
I run the 39.5's on my scrambler and they are by far the best that I have used over the past years. (rocks)

OverkillZJ
10-11-2005, 05:23 PM
The Iroks? (I think that's what you meant.)

I'm really just stuck between the trusty TSL or the Irok. I've yet to see the Irok in person too much.

Cam was right - sams offroad has some amazing prices on almost everything they sell.

Kraqa
10-11-2005, 05:46 PM
i'm runnign TSL's they are freekin awsome. SUPER tough side wall. great in the mud, a bit slick on the rocks. i'm convinced that could be changed if you grouve them. which my next set of tire will be grouved.

http://www.funinbc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19722

scroll down for the real pics.

TrojanMan
10-11-2005, 06:10 PM
my best friend has a set of TSL's.. my next tires probably will be too, they clean like nothing else

Ken L
10-11-2005, 06:14 PM
I really like my TSLs, although they're baby compared to what you want to run. Guys in my club run bigger tires, boggers, IROKs and TSLs; I really haven't seen where IROKs were that much better than TSLs really in observing these guys. Boggers slide too much in off camber situations.

One guy that runs a lot of trails all over the country every year has a set of IROKs and a set of these Pit Bull Rockers. He really likes the Rockers...he said that they stuck like glue at the Badlands when he was there trying them out. http://www.pitbulltires.com/rocker.php I don't know cost wise how they compare; I buy my stuff from a club member that has a shop. I'll ask for you how they compare price wise.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
10-11-2005, 09:11 PM
another vote for TSL's.

OverkillZJ
10-11-2005, 10:19 PM
Too many freaking decisions.

Deltron
10-11-2005, 11:09 PM
You should try the pitbull tires man, I know a guy that goes to college with me has them and he likes em, but I haven't seen them on the trail. Get em, try em, tell me how you like em! peace
-Dave

Kraqa
10-12-2005, 02:12 AM
any offroad tire that states there for rock crawlin, but then states that they have developed them to be quiet onroad does not make me feel comfortable buyign them for a trial onyl buggy. plus there is no spec on sidewalls, biasply, radial, and there freekin 16.5" wide. they seem to me liek a tire for a pavment princess chevvy.

your spending alot of money, i dont' think right now is the time to experiment with new tire manufactures. unless your made of money. in that case buy some nitto's and get mea set.

JeepinHank
10-12-2005, 09:00 AM
If you're made of money - Get some 20" beadlocks and some Krawlers!!

Ken L
10-12-2005, 09:49 AM
Pitbull has made tires for years for the truck pulling crowd. They have a good reputation there for traction.

The guy that I know that runs them has something as far away from a pavement queen as possible. I doubt that his Landcruiser has seen more than 25 pavement miles in the last 5 years.

OverkillZJ
10-12-2005, 02:52 PM
Made of money? HA! I wish! If I was I wouldn't be at work right now.

I am interested in the now-discontinued Michelin XML's.... They're military surplus and can be had for about $100 each shipped for 44ish sized tires. Only downside I see is that they're for a 20" rim - that makes the rims more expensive, but the tires are a THIRD of buying TSL's / Iroks.

Anyone have any info on these? My main concern is dry rot / lack of knowledge of how long they've been sitting around.

rubicondave33
10-12-2005, 03:01 PM
You could get some really nice blingy-bling 20s

BLACKZJ
10-12-2005, 03:26 PM
You mention the military tires, look on ebay. I've seen alot of them there, maybe you can find some there for cheap. If I remember corectly, theres one guy up in Canada who had them listed all the time. that was a while ago when I was lookin for donuts for the Ford.

deadman
10-12-2005, 05:29 PM
I am interested in the now-discontinued Michelin XML's.... They're military surplus and can be had for about $100 each shipped for 44ish sized tires. Only downside I see is that they're for a 20" rim - that makes the rims more expensive, but the tires are a THIRD of buying TSL's / Iroks.

Anyone have any info on these? My main concern is dry rot / lack of knowledge of how long they've been sitting around.

All I know is that they are damn heavy and stiff. Like my Michelin XLs. You can probably run them without air, and never loose a beat.

I've to run them, cause I need 20" rims... and don't have the money for the big Iroks yet. But after a year or so, I will get the Iroks. (still hoping for a big SX in 20")

The Swamper is the superior tire, but the michelins are cheap.

Jim311
10-12-2005, 07:37 PM
If you're looking at XMLs do a search over at Pirate 4x4. I saw more than a few failures of used XMLs... sidewall blowouts and whatnot. I saw a rig on Guardrail that didn't impress me at all with the XMLs. I think the rubber is rather hard, and the sidewalls are SUPER stiff. They don't do real well when aired down, either.

OverkillZJ
10-12-2005, 09:51 PM
Ya, that's pretty much the concensus on the XML's. New they're a super tough tire, but the ones on ebay and surplus have often been sitting around and eventualy get cracked, dried up, and dry rot / what not. I don't think my rig will be nearly heavy enough to run these tires, let alone justify the 20" bling bligh rims.

That brings me back to IROK vs TSL. Either set is going to run me $1500, THIS SUCKS. I can't find them for less than $300 a tire...

SuicideTireZJ
10-13-2005, 03:45 AM
My vote is for 39" Krawlers.

If not, XML's and spinnazzzzzzzzzz yo!

AprilzWarrior
10-24-2005, 09:39 PM
Ive setup 49"s Iroks on 20" and it looks like a 40 on 15s
obviously not my rig.

PIMPIN

AW

BMRisko
10-25-2005, 12:00 AM
How about a Bogger / TSL combo?

OverkillZJ
10-25-2005, 12:35 AM
How about a Bogger / TSL combo?

Meh, never liked the whole combo thing, seems like people can't decide what world they want to be wheeling in! I think it's down to Irok or TSL, just need to decide which and what size. I could make anything up to 49" work really but that's so ridiculously large, I'll probably stay with 42's.

assist vs full hydro is the next big decision after this I guess.

I just decided to go to summer school full time the next two summers to push up the graduation date (changing to the integrated BSBA / MS program so I need all the credits I can get...) so that might outrank GSW... Which means no rush to finish. That means more time to play with big ideas I guess LOL.

gearhead313
10-25-2005, 09:45 AM
I've run iroks in the past, i've raved... its almost old news. Go iroks and don't dick around. They are nice on the street and DO go in mud and slush well. There are probably 7 guys now that have switched from boggers, tsl's, sx's.. and they all are hands down for the iroks over all of those.

I think you have to remember that here on hte east coast, its a little different than the west. ...even though im sure matt will rock it out west multiple times. I have my iroks all setup, but now with selling my rig, i'll probably change my plans. I know i had them setup for under a grand...shh.

If I don't get iroks, i'll probably try the pitbull rockers, just to be different. Im sure they'll like it on my 8.25" h1 locks!!

ATL ZJ
10-25-2005, 11:01 AM
Gearhead, what rig you swapping to?

OverkillZJ
10-25-2005, 03:06 PM
even though im sure matt will rock it out west multiple times.

A few times? Current plan is to move there :finga:

3 years and counting if all goes to plan.

anyway, on topic, I think I'm sold on the Iroks. TSL is the old school tried and true, but from what I've seen of the Irok and how almost every owner of them has raved about them, I don't think I can go wrong.

Too bad I probably won't be able to afford beadlocks this year, BLAH.

gearhead313
10-26-2005, 12:13 PM
Gearhead, what rig you swapping to?

trying to get into an old willys 2a or something similar.

Cody
10-26-2005, 02:45 PM
A lot of the guys i've talked to out here aren't super high on the iroks. The 42" flavor doesn't have very deep lugs and the spacing on them is pretty bad (i.e. shallow lugs spaced too far apart--like they stretched them to get them onto a 42). if you want a 42, I'd go with a tsl. i'd look into maxxis tires--the creapy crawlers and the Trepadors will both be available in around a 40" size and there has only been 1 sidewall failure on a maxxis tire in trail use or competition (according to their rep out here anyways). The one failure was the result of a 30mph impact with a tree--sideways.

At any rate, any tire does well in moab. i'm pretty happy with my creapy crawlers and will most likely put a larger set (38x13's hopefully) on whatever i build next.

Cody

Kraqa
10-26-2005, 02:50 PM
you shoudl build a DANA 60 front.

phillyzj
11-07-2005, 10:56 PM
47" LTB?

robselina
11-08-2005, 04:23 PM
I'm having a similar dillema considering tires for my bigger rig and after much discussion I ended up with the same two options TSL or IROK. I've got some 36x13.50 IROKs on the scout. I've never run the TSL but I've seen them in action plenty since they were the tire of choice pre MTRs out here.

It's a tough call but I've decided to go IROK. I like the TSLs, they do very well here but the IROKs seem to be 90% as good in the muck but 20% better on the rocks. Considering we're mostly rock, I'm going that way. The other thing worth noting is that the TSLs get really slick when they're a little wet compared to the IROK which seems to hold up better if it's gotten a little wet/muddy. In other words, for a mixed trail where you hit a few puddles on your way to a rock face, you'll do better with an IROK IMO.

BTW, not familiar with the bigger sizes but there are two mold types for the IROK. make sure you get the 'boxier' ones...

Just my $0.02

ATL ZJ
11-08-2005, 04:47 PM
How are the Iroks faring on the road?

robselina
11-08-2005, 05:21 PM
How are the Iroks faring on the road?

I don't ever take it far (just 10 miles to the trail and back). So far they're holding up well, but I wouldn't put them on anything that sees pavement often. They're definitely a very soft rubber...

OverkillZJ
11-08-2005, 05:25 PM
I think tires are the last thing I'm buying for the buggy... I'll build a test set out of cardboard for fitting, LMAO

ATL ZJ
11-08-2005, 05:33 PM
I don't ever take it far (just 10 miles to the trail and back). So far they're holding up well, but I wouldn't put them on anything that sees pavement often. They're definitely a very soft rubber...

Well, I'm planning to. Hopefully theyll last me a year and a half til I get a towrig. I don't drive much, mainly back and forth once every couple months between school and home. And to the trail of course.

robselina
11-08-2005, 05:50 PM
Well, I'm planning to. Hopefully theyll last me a year and a half til I get a towrig. I don't drive much, mainly back and forth once every couple months between school and home. And to the trail of course.

how many miles a month or year are we talking about? I wouldn't think IROKs would last more than 10k-15k miles depending on how you treat them...

ATL ZJ
11-08-2005, 07:14 PM
I don't drive near 10k in a year. They may or may not make it, we will see... I expect wear to be right next to terrible, but for the trail performance, I think it'll be worth it.

robselina
11-09-2005, 12:37 PM
I don't drive near 10k in a year. They may or may not make it, we will see... I expect wear to be right next to terrible, but for the trail performance, I think it'll be worth it.

Cool, you should be fine then. Will you still have the ZJ as is or is it getting canabalized for the build? Any other vehicles that could double as a tow rig if necessary? What I'm getting at is given the price of tires, it's worth your while to invest in a used trailer to haul it if you'll have another means of transport...

Even if you won't have something that could do tow duty, consider looking out for something that could. I see all sorts of inovative tow rig solutions out here - I've got a budy who wants to sell his Chevy wrecker (it's big enough for two rigs) for $3000, another buddy bought a early 80s Ford semi-truck for $4000. These are both examples of affordable towing solutions that were both reliable and in great shape. I've also seen decomissioned fire engines, dump trucks, etc at auction for under $2k that could easily be turned into acceptable flat bed haulers with a little bit of torch and welder time. Take a peek at the next govt. surplus auction in your area and you might find something interesting....

ATL ZJ
11-09-2005, 02:32 PM
The ZJ is not getting canabalized just yet. For the most part, the body is still functional (doors still open most of the time) and it still shines pretty nice where it isn't too dented up. I'm going with another inch of lift or so and whatever trimming is necessary for the 37s not to rub that badly. I haven't rolled it yet, knock on wood, so I really don't have a good reason to chop anything just yet.

I thought seriously about not putting any money into the Jeep this summer and instead of the major upgrades/mods I do from summer cash, putting it into a towrig. I have one year of school left after this one, so my only vehicle now is the ZJ. It would be nice to have a flatbed something or other that I could just load the ZJ up onto, rather than having to drop cash on a trailer as well.. I guess it depends where I'm at financially and how streetable the ZJ still is by that point. Right now I'm definitely lowering my standards for street use to see better results on the trail. We'll see what happens. ;-)

nate
11-09-2005, 11:18 PM
These are 42 IROKs. He was runnign 39.5 TSLs before and said the IROKs worked alot better.
http://98jeepzj.com/photos/images/259-2.jpg

nate
11-09-2005, 11:20 PM
Here is the 39.5s..

http://98jeepzj.com/photos/images/137-2.jpg

OverkillZJ
11-10-2005, 12:03 AM
Here is the 39.5s..

I think you meant "fohhhdeeez minus a halfzeeeee"

ILikeMud
11-10-2005, 12:28 AM
My buddy is running the Pitbull Rockers in 37s on his CJ7.
He's had no problems with them, they perform great.

I can give my actual two cents after I drive his rig this weekend.

nate
11-11-2005, 12:42 AM
Haha. BTW, that is me in the first pic with the farmer's tan :smt003

I think you meant "fohhhdeeez minus a halfzeeeee"

BiggerZJ
12-03-2005, 09:47 PM
my rec. would be forget the iroks and tsls(i say that from experience i think they both suck in anything but mud) despite what you said about the mtrs they are my favorite tire and also my next tire. ive heard the pit bulls are the shit and they are priced close to the iroks

jeepnzj1
12-08-2005, 12:49 PM
ive had swamper boggers reg swampers and i ended up with mtr's i think it depends on dd or trailer queen you certanly dont want to drive to far on any bias ply tire it sucks it turns your zj into a slug at least the boggers do and i think the reg swampers just make it feel loose on the road and they dont stop so good in the rain either. but off road there the shit.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
12-12-2005, 05:07 PM
can't beat the SSR's!

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140375

gearhead313
12-12-2005, 06:38 PM
can't beat the SSR's!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

deadman
12-12-2005, 07:14 PM
Shit how did ya find that... :smt043 :smt043

Cue-Ball
12-12-2005, 07:33 PM
can't beat the SSR's!

Too funny

OverkillZJ
12-12-2005, 07:46 PM
Son of a bitch...

The worst part is that OverkillZJ is banned on JU, so I can't even go back and delete all of my gay ass newbie posts.

Goddamnit!

Jim311
12-12-2005, 09:42 PM
http://www.jeepcrew.com/gallery/albums/album43/DSC02293.jpg