PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Gremlin! Need help!

HyenaZJ
10-08-2005, 07:32 PM
Hi all, I hope someones got an idea on how to fix this!
The problem started with the keyless entry. Everytime I used it to unlock the doors it kept trying to unlock repeatedly for about a minute. The only way to stop it would be to lock the door with the keyfob. After a while if I still used the keyless entry, not only would it keep unlocking, but the mirrors would start going crazy. But now the mirrors are going crazy on their own and the radio starts flashing -sel when the mirrors go wacky. Sometimes I can readjust the mirrors while this is happening, but most times they go crazy again or lock me out allthogether. Last night it started doing its thing again but this time it reset the radio stations for about 60sec then they returned to my presets.
So far in an attempt to fix this, I've replaced the battery (which was dying) and replaced my neg battery lead which had a large crack in it. I've checked the fuse panel and everything looked ok. Anyone got any ideas?
Thanks,
Bryan

By the way, it's a 97 w/4.0 & about 98,000miles

OverkillZJ
10-08-2005, 08:15 PM
Oh how I love Chrystler electrical...

LouisianaZJ
10-08-2005, 08:36 PM
well you already did what i would have suggested

new battery. i guess you can check the positive cables and connections as well

did it improve at all once you put the new battery in?

OverkillZJ
10-08-2005, 09:02 PM
all i can figure is bad ground, that can cause some crazy problems. So can power fluctuations.

but really? It sounds like you just own a Chrysler. I used to have a Concord. The alarm would go off when you locked the damn thing. Sometimes you couldn't turn it off, etc. What crap electric.

HyenaZJ
10-08-2005, 09:11 PM
The only difference with the new battery was that the mirrors went wild without me turning on the jeep. I'll check my grounds again, hopefully I missed something. I was going to have the alt checked next. After that, I'm running out of ideas.

2jeepsforus
10-27-2005, 06:44 PM
Could someone of tried to patch into the circuitry for the Memory seats function? that is also connected to the controls for the mirrors and the radio. I'm guessing that you bought this used, and you can never tell what people do to save a buck. The ground idea is a really good one to check, try taking it down to bare metal to get the best possible connection..

Check all of the voltages to every thing you possible can access.

Thats messed up

OverkillZJ
10-27-2005, 06:47 PM
Then again, all that crap feeds into the same insane wiring harness. Could be frayed to hell anywhere behind the dash.

ATL ZJ
10-27-2005, 06:51 PM
Try splicing split wires back together at the the firewall... It's REAL fun, I promise. Don't ask how they got cut... :o

HyenaZJ
10-28-2005, 01:34 AM
I don't have the memory seats, and I've had the ZJ for about 4 years. So far I've done all the repairs that it's needed myself, ( right now the radiator is on the floor of the garage. Wheeling on a 110 degree day has a price!) and it doesn't look like anyone has messed with the wiring.
I checked under the dash and everything looks ok, as well as the leads into the wiring harness. No loose connections or broken wires.
Does anyone have the factory service manual? Would that give the color codes to the wires? That may help me track down where the fault is.

Thanks again for all the suggestions!