PDA

View Full Version : removing a stuck balljoint/bolt

Michael
10-08-2005, 04:20 PM
got a new trackbar to replace the stock one (with another stock one i know but it was $50), but can't get the damn bolt out of the bracket. tried my new pickel fork and bfh that i picked up with no visible sucess other than making it so i can't just put the nut back on and take it to a shop and have them deal with it. i tried heating up the mount bracket with my propane torch but that didn't work. do i need to get it red hot, or just heat if for 5 min? i don't have any "puller" type tools, so any advice on getting the damn bolt out? i think its tapered. i got the cotter pin and nut off this morning after a soak in pb blaster. spent 2 hours pounding on a pickel fork to try to free it. any ideas? i already bought a bigger hammer and that didn't help. should i try the torch more or what? trying not to catch the zj on fire because there is a lot of crap right around this area to catch fire that i don't want to.

any pointers would be greatly appreciated. if i can't get it out, i'll have to take the whole bracket off and take it to a shop or get a ride to get a puller on monday. till then i'm stuck up here 20 miles from town without a way to get more beer.

LouisianaZJ
10-08-2005, 04:24 PM
pry it off and hit it harder with a hammer

if all else fails, remove the bracket/tbar entirely
put it in a vice then get a BFH

Michael
10-08-2005, 04:27 PM
pry what off? its hard to get any big tools in there because the draglink and everything else is in the way.

Michael
10-08-2005, 06:00 PM
took the whole thing off, and on the second hit it comes free. VICTORY. thanks for the help LouisianaZJ.

on another note, anyone know how i can put a vice on my trailer hitch or something? i live in a small apartment/cabin and don't have room for a "shop". thanks

JeepinHank
10-10-2005, 09:12 AM
2x2 box tubing, drill hole for hitch pin, bolt / weld angle/plate to the 2x2 box tubing, and bolt the vice to that.

http://www.kodiakoffroad.com/images/chuggy/trailvise.jpg

Works good for cramped shops too.

Michael
10-12-2005, 04:20 PM
thanks hank.