PDA

View Full Version : bring me the duct tape and JB Weld, shit done broke!!

BigDaveZJ
10-08-2005, 12:22 AM
Matt's busy working on fixing these technical difficulties, and frankly I have no clue WTF is really going on to try and explain but them. But since Matt is busy busting his ass to get things working again, you get stuck with me trying to explain what's going on. Shit's broke. Matt's fixing it. And that's my level of comprehension on this situation. We apologize for the board being down and it will more than likely be spotty for the next few days until a final solution is found. We will back up soon. And if Matt or I are on any instant messenger programs, we're more than likely communicating with each other on how to fix this, so we do appreciate it if you don't IM us to tell us the boards jacked up, cuz we already know!!!

OverkillZJ
10-08-2005, 12:02 PM
I pretty much spent the night hunting down processes on the server that I didn't put there :smt105

A hacker made use of a vulnerability in MailEnable Pro (IMAP buffer underun) that allowed him to run code and add himself as an administrator. My box was one of many that was compromised over the last few days, there's a thread on the forums at mailenable.com if you're curious.

He had free reign before the server started a DOS attack on other machines, and was pulled from the network.

If ServerBeach hadn't (royally) screwed up and overwritten the backup images I had on the secondary box on that machine, the site would've been down for an hour at tops. Unfortunately, one of their datacenter idiots mixed up the drives and imaged over my backup drive instead of a blank drink. Needless to say, this server will be moved either in house or to a more reliable datacenter, maybe one nearby so I can get physical access to the machine.

Since there was no longer a backup image (only raw data with no configured OS), I had the primary drive mounted as secondary where I could do some basic cleanup on it, then had it mounted as primary and booted again, at which time I could remote it and begin cleaning up the mess last night. The server is stable and no longer has that particuler vulnerability, but my cleanup processes left it less than fully functional. It'll "do" for now, as I'll be investing in a bigger and badder server once I get a T1 or Fiber run here to the office, so it'd be a waste for me to invest the time rebuilding this pox from the ground up...

Ok, now that the geek things out of the way, I need to go cut up my ZJ redneck style.

BigDaveZJ
10-08-2005, 12:34 PM
And now for the english translation.

Shit broke. Matt wants to kill people. It's fixed for now, upgrades to come. Buy Matt a beer the next time you see him.

:flipoff2: