PDA

View Full Version : welding beginner questions

Michael
10-04-2005, 07:48 PM
i want to learn to weld, and there not really a community college around me, so i will have to teach myself or find someone locally to teach me. how much does a welder cost, and what type is good for a beginner? is there any type of welder that is portable? how about gas welding? sorry i don't know much about the subject, just did a little reading and figure i need a "stick welder" is all i got out of the article. i don't have a garage, and i don't have 220v power so i'd like to get some kind of portable setup that i can have on board after i learn how to weld really good. any advice and tips?

ATL ZJ
10-04-2005, 09:47 PM
I use a dryer circuit to run a Hobart 180 off 220. It's about right for what I do. I pretty much just started making beads on unimportant stuff and built up to welding on stuff that counts after a lot of practice. I got my welder off ebay, and my gas setup local, but you can get a 115v welder and use fluxcore for something less expensive and more portable.

rubicondave33
10-05-2005, 04:34 AM
Sometimes local vo-tech schools offer evening classes for adults. You may be able to find a welding course there.

Michael
10-09-2005, 06:07 AM
there isn't one of those places anywhere near here. i was thinking about getting a mapp/oxygen gas torch and some scrap metal to mess with. any ideas? could i build sliders with this or a skid?

OverkillZJ
10-09-2005, 08:05 AM
Gas welding is very hard to do right.. I've built basic things with gas welding, like a dolley, but I'd never try to so something on my Jeep with it.

I only use my oxy/acty setup for cutting through metal.

ARC or MIG / Flux Core are your real options for welding on the Jeep (well, only beginner options) - I like Mig since a monkey could do it as long as all the settings are correct for the type of welding you're doing.

rubicondave33
10-09-2005, 09:12 AM
Gas welding is very hard to do right.. I've built basic things with gas welding, like a dolley, but I'd never try to so something on my Jeep with it.

I only use my oxy/acty setup for cutting through metal.

ARC or MIG / Flux Core are your real options for welding on the Jeep (well, only beginner options) - I like Mig since a monkey could do it as long as all the settings are correct for the type of welding you're doing.

:X2

2jeepsforus
10-14-2005, 09:09 PM
For a Mig though you need to have the two surfaces as clean as you can possibly get them.

The "stick" welder is better for welding outside without a garage. Because the flux is on the rod. And any all purpose rod will do well.

While a mig's flux is through the gas when the wire is fed, if you do it outside in the wind you will have a shitty weld...

I personally like the mig, but I have a garage also, just my 2 cents..
Dave

OverkillZJ
10-14-2005, 09:25 PM
Welding outside with Mig SUCKS.

slightest breeze will give you a really really bad weld. But it's still my preference.

Michael
10-15-2005, 05:14 PM
so what do i get if a mig won't work for me? what should i be looking for?

OverkillZJ
10-15-2005, 11:02 PM
Why won't a mig work? If your'e outside you can load it up with flux core and weld without gas, it's similar, but a different shielding method. Otherwise, most of us just build some kind of shields to block the wind if we're welding or even pump up the gas output to help deal with it a little, but that's rather ghetto.

2jeepsforus
10-20-2005, 10:18 PM
Michael,

The mig is the better choice for someone beginning to weld, you simply pull the trigger and wire is feed throw the gun. BUT i would not recommend it if you weld outside where wind can blow the gas, or if the metal surface is all rusty and corroded. As I and Overkill have said.

The stick welder is better for rusty metals and you can use a stick welder in any kind of atmosphere (inside, outside).

The same concept is applied to both types of welders, its just they have their pluses and negatives.

This is really going to come down to preference....... Do your research on it and decide what appeals to you more.

spykosshow
03-30-2007, 06:02 PM
So, does anyone have any updated tips for a beginning welder using .035 core fluxcore welder? I tried to take some pictures of the welds I've laid on some scrap, but they're really crappy looking pictures.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
03-30-2007, 06:50 PM
Practice is the most important key to learning to weld.

It's all a balance of keeping a consistent bead profile, not undercutting, not blowing through, same speed, same height, etc. The hardest thing for me to learn is welding in awkward positions. If you don't get comfortable all your welds will look like shit. Practice, practice, practice.

spykosshow
03-30-2007, 08:20 PM
Thats what I've been doing. I had a few pieces of steel left around the house after some projects I've done, and I've welded, then cut it off and welded it in another spot. Can anyone point me in the right direction to something online that describes these terms like undercutting, blowing through, etc.?

redzj
03-31-2007, 12:28 PM
I think miller's website has a tutorial or they did at one time. For a beginer and welding a little bit of everything even in the wind I think Innershield is the best bet. It is easy to weld out of position too. Oxy-gas welding is old school and isn't really used for much anymore. It is a good start on learning how to tig though and alot cheaper.

spykosshow
04-07-2007, 05:44 PM
I got some good practice in today. I had to reinforce the bed on the back of a couple golf carts today at work. I used 3/16 x 1.25" steel, and my welds were looking really good by the time I was done. I was able to get them to look like pennies laying in a row on overlapping each other.

TheCompound
04-09-2007, 02:51 PM
I'm a beginner too, but I did order some good reference book form Lincoln Welder website. They also have VHS/DVD, but I haven't ordered any of those!
-TheCompound

PassRunnerZJ
04-09-2007, 11:56 PM
Check out your local library. I picked up a couple of videos to watch and they were very helpful even though they were stick welding vs. flux core and TIG, but the concept is basically the same. Now that I think of it my Lincoln came with a video too and it was more spacific(SP) helpful.

And again it is all about practice, find some scrap from a local shop or ranch store that repairs farm equipment cut it up and start making yard art. Weld different thicknesses together at different angles and then take them apart to check your penetration. Then you can practice some more putting them back together.

I can't believe how rusty I got after not welding this last fall and winter when I was building a reinforcement for my mom's stair rail this spring.