PDA

View Full Version : What tools do I need to do first regear? Advice?

Michael
10-04-2005, 03:18 PM
i'm going to fix my piece of crap diff (d35) sometime this weekend or next, and have to replace the carrier because its totally messed up and not working right with the spider gears; there is play. i read this http://www.differentials.com/install.html and have a good idea of what i need to do. i've only watched someone do this twice before, and neither time did the guy use any measurement tools other than a micrometer to measure the spacer things that go on the sides of the carrier. what tools do i need to get this done correctly? on my list i have so far in/lb and ft/lb torque wrenches, a dial indicator, and a micrometer on my list of new tools i might need. i was planning to have a friend use there shop press to do the bearings. any advice on setting this up correctly? do i need to use new spacer things to set the depth correctly, or can i use the ones in there now? i'm just replacing the stock open carrier with another pos open carrier. i already had the ring and pinion, spider gears, and all bearings (incl axle bearings and seals) replaced (bad mistake i know). anything else i should check out while in there? i know i shouldn't put any more money into a d35, but it its making a kind of whirling noise when any throttle is applied which makes sense at least in my mind that it would be the carrier or maybe a bent axle too. the gear pattern looks like all the pictures i've seen of what "good" should be, so i don't think that is messed up. anyone in CO wanna help me one weekend in exchange for a case of fat tire or something? just wish i could double my bank account balance so that i could build an 8.8 instead, but that will have to wait till i save up more money.

thanks!

OverkillZJ
10-04-2005, 04:12 PM
"Carrier" would cause no such noise - bad gear set or incorrectly set gears would. Are you talking about setting the same gears again? You can't really change the set once they're worn in. They tend to go boom.

As far as tools go, sounds like your list is good + a bearing seperator.

Michael
10-04-2005, 07:27 PM
well...hmm...any idea's what it might be then? yes, i was planning to reuse the ring gear. it used to just whine under throttle (any amount) between like 50+ mph, but now it does it at all speeds. maybe i'm just deaf, and its been doing it at all speeds all along. it is getting pretty loud though. sounds fine when i let off the gas. looks like i'll be picking up a new job to pay for an 8.8 or dare i say 9"? any way to get abs to work on either of these? what about a 44 out of a xj? i don't really know what to do at this point if i can't reuse the gears because i'm already wasted over a grand to accomplish nothing. at this point i just want to get it running so that i don't have to worry if it will get me to school or not. can i build an 8.8 for $400 if i have to pay someone to weld the brackets? somehow i don't think it will be possible. should i be worrying about the rear end locking up or exploding with the symptoms it has now? thanks for help fellow mall crawlers.

JpRngr
10-05-2005, 01:06 AM
Pull it apart and check the carrier bearings. The driver's side especially. My bet is a bad bearing. If those look OK, pull the pinion and check the pinion bearings. If any are pitted, best bet is to replace them all.

Corey

OverkillZJ
10-05-2005, 01:07 AM
Ya, what he said, since I was apparently too dumb at the moment to poitn out the obvious :coffee:

Sudz
10-05-2005, 11:37 AM
http://www.ring-pinion.com/content/technicalhelp/default.asp?pid=109

http://www.ring-pinion.com/content/technicalhelp/default.asp?pid=110

Kraqa
10-05-2005, 03:18 PM
hmm, i woudl suspect pinion bearings NOT carrier. if it only makes noise when power is applied. i beleive it is the inner bearing....IIRC. Someone correect me if i'm wrong.

Jeepinc1
10-05-2005, 05:40 PM
Im definately not an expert but a friend of mine has the same kind of sound, whirring on acceleration (and braking actually), and he is pretty sure its because of his rear driveshaft angles. He still has a slip yoke without a CV and a bad pinion angle. Have you done anything recently to your driveline angle or is there a reason you isolated the rear axle as the problem?

Kraqa
10-05-2005, 07:05 PM
well if it makes a swirrling sound of howling on both accel or decel. it could be a u-joint in the drive shaft or any one of the bearings in your rear end or even t-case. If the sound is commign from the rear of the vehicle rather then the middle. then i woudl suspect it to be either the rear u-joint of the rear end. If the noise is comming from accel or decel, but NOT both then it woudl be a pinion bearing.

Michael
10-09-2005, 06:05 AM
well. its the same symptoms that i had before i had all the bears and gears replaced which was last winter. took it back the next day and told the guy that it still has the same problem. the sound increases depending how hard you push the throttle, but doesn't get any louder past a certain point. has been getting slightly louder over time. this has been happening for like years now, started very subtle, now is getting loud. even before i put the lift on. how do i check the ujoints and drive shaft? hopefully tomorrow i can get my exhaust done and new tires so i can go offroad one more time before it snows too much. noticed flurries tonight on way to bar. woh. should i just take it to a drivetrain shop for a look since i don't know wtf i'm really doing? i hate to spend more money and not have the problem solved when i could put it towards an 8.8 or 9". thanks for your helpful replies guys!