PDA

View Full Version : leaking tcase fluid

greenhunter
10-02-2005, 08:09 PM
after my first attempt at a tcase swap, i discovered that i lose most, if not all of the fluid (slowly when the jeep is off, quickly when it's running) from somewhere near where the engine and tranny meet. i guess i put too much strain on it when i tried to get the tcase back on, maybe i broke a seal or just flat out broke something.

is this something i can tackle myself, or should i take it to the shop and have it fixed there?

BigDaveZJ
10-02-2005, 10:14 PM
What fluid are you losing???

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
10-02-2005, 10:21 PM
did you take the tcase apart to swap input shafts or anything?

BigDaveZJ
10-02-2005, 10:31 PM
did you take the tcase apart to swap input shafts or anything?

I'm trying to figure out how the t-case fluid transported itseld in front of the tranny.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
10-03-2005, 03:30 PM
I'm trying to figure out how the t-case fluid transported itseld in front of the tranny.

good question, i didn't read that right the first go around. On a related note, I went to Chapel Hill this weekend to see the game, I come back and there is at least a quart of ATF on the ground under my jeep. It hasn't been driven in 2 weeks and looks like the tranny/tc seal bit the dust. I think the influx of 90* highs and 50* lows took its toll on that little seal. great...another thing to fix. :smt011

ATL ZJ
10-03-2005, 04:01 PM
good question, i didn't read that right the first go around. On a related note, I went to Chapel Hill this weekend to see the game, I come back and there is at least a quart of ATF on the ground under my jeep. It hasn't been driven in 2 weeks and looks like the tranny/tc seal bit the dust. I think the influx of 90* highs and 50* lows took its toll on that little seal. great...another thing to fix. :smt011

Mine did that too. It would always start bleeding after sitting for more than 2-3 days. I just made sure to keep it topped off for a couple years and finally got around to swapping that output seal this spring. It does fine now.

JeepinHank
10-03-2005, 04:33 PM
When mine was sitting up over the 7-8 month build, I was always cleaning up the puddle under the t-case / tranny. Oddly enough, after I got rolling again, the constant drip stopped.

If it ain't broke.....:rolleyes:

greenhunter
10-04-2005, 07:23 PM
sorry, i wrote that when i was tired, so it came out as some form of stupid.

it's leaking atf from the tranny. from the looks of it, where the tranny and engine meet. i made sure to support the tranny when i was doing the tcase swap, but i let it down some when i was putting the tcase back in. i'm thinking i let it down too far and messed up a seal.

i can get it towed to the shop that i work at and let a tech tackle it, but i don't want to waste any money if it's something i can do myself.

btw, cam, do you know the spline count for the input shaft from your busted 242? if it's the same as my 249, maybe that could save me the headache of taking it apart.