PDA

View Full Version : Suspensio system choice

exopar
09-30-2005, 11:37 AM
Have check for suspension system options on my ZJ 1998 but need to know your opinion on the following systems.

Use of the ZJ is 50% off road and 50% highway.

Need to clear 31 with good flex capability.

3.5 ez flex Rubicon express
3.0 double flex Skyjaquer

Any other suspension that you whould recomend me?

Regards
Ray

BigDaveZJ
09-30-2005, 12:14 PM
Go with the RE over the SkyCrapper. Lot better system, better springs, better arms, etc.

OverkillZJ
09-30-2005, 12:49 PM
Agreed

Kraqa
09-30-2005, 02:37 PM
Agreed

x2 .

RockTech4X4
10-02-2005, 12:01 PM
Go for the RE kit. You will be much happier with it.

-Rock

RiPPiNiTuP7
10-03-2005, 06:53 PM
get a jks rear track bar too instead of the re relocation bracket.

OverkillZJ
10-03-2005, 07:54 PM
get a jks rear track bar too instead of the re relocation bracket.

I'd have to say "agreed" again

Texas ZJ1
10-04-2005, 08:08 AM
I have the 4.5 RE kit with Bracket....yes, it is now welded, not just bolted.

Hunter

RockTech4X4
10-04-2005, 09:49 AM
Yeah the only thing with welding the bracket is that if for some reason you want to change the rear to a different setup....you got some work to do just to get the bracket off.

The JKS rear trackbar is a good setup but if you can't swing that than run the bracket and check it often for tightness. I would not weld it. JMHO.

-Rock

Jcbzj
10-10-2005, 06:21 PM
the RE tb bracket is a worhless POS...i gave mine to the junkyard with my old axles. I would definately spend the extra money for an adjustable rear TB

haymaker
02-17-2008, 04:07 PM
why is the bracket a POS?

OverkillZJ
02-17-2008, 04:16 PM
They tear off, and damn, this thread is 3 years old..

adam99wj
02-21-2008, 04:15 PM
this has been happening alot lately , ppl bringing prehistoric threads back from the dead

tywilson88
02-21-2008, 04:37 PM
rusty's has some pretty good products if you want something small, and it is cheaper than RE

Skyline
02-21-2008, 06:11 PM
They tear off, and damn, this thread is 3 years old..
You know, instead of making fun of new members for bringing old threads back from the dead, we should be applauding that. I mean, isn't it better to have a new member who actually uses the search function, tries to find his answers, reads lots of old threads....and comes up with an additional question? Isn't the alternative worse? (Having a new member bring up the same shit all over again by asking the same question in a brand new useless thread.) I think we DO want our new members to do their homework, and search, before posting, and someone who brings up a 3 year old thread is certainly doing so.

grandmaster
02-21-2008, 08:56 PM
Good point. But new members can only start there own threads in the newbie tech section anyway. But Yes I hate the relocation bracket. My stock bracket tore off just last week and I had to weld it back on PITA by the way. Just go with the JKS I will be once I find a couple hundred on the ground. As for lifts I would go with the RE. you doing short arms?

grandmaster
02-21-2008, 08:57 PM
Another option is to do spring swap, Maybe not quality, but rides nice and its cheap.

haymaker
02-22-2008, 01:16 AM
yeah sorry to bring back an old thread, i know it can be annoying, but sometimes you know your just searching and it slips your mind that a thread is so old. i was just wondering because i just bought the RE1660 extra heavy duty adjustable track bar and they said it required the bracket to work. i don't understand how if this is such a POS why the kevins track bar kit has a bracket too and nobody says that one is a peice. you guys got me all worried about that bracket now!

IndyZJ
02-22-2008, 01:26 AM
yeah sorry to bring back an old thread, i know it can be annoying, but sometimes you know your just searching and it slips your mind that a thread is so old. i was just wondering because i just bought the RE1660 extra heavy duty adjustable track bar and they said it required the bracket to work. i don't understand how if this is such a POS why the kevins track bar kit has a bracket too and nobody says that one is a peice. you guys got me all worried about that bracket now!

you're fine - people were refering to the cheap-ass brackets that bolt to the axle mount to relocate the factory trackbar (usually on the rear). on that note I've got one (relocator bracket) on the front that hasn't loosened or budged in over 10,000 miles, but I'm just waiting for the time to put the adjustable one on that's sitting in the garage.

Skyline
02-22-2008, 01:34 AM

The bracket that Kevins sells is for the front track bar. It is VERY beefy, and replaces the stock (and somewhat weaker) bracket. He sells this with his own adjustable track bar. This will reduce the chance of the bracket failing, and in combination with his adjustable track bar with stiffer than stock bushings, will help stabilize your front end.

When you lift a Jeep, if you don't do something about the track bars, your axles will no longer be centered. In the rear, one way is to add a drop bracket, the other way is to make the bar longer. The problem with the bracket is that it adds leverage to a point that's prone to failure anyway. Plenty of members here have learned this the hard way. An adjustable rear bar is a much better solution.

haymaker
02-22-2008, 07:46 PM
The bracket that Kevins sells is for the front track bar. It is VERY beefy, and replaces the stock (and somewhat weaker) bracket. He sells this with his own adjustable track bar. This will reduce the chance of the bracket failing, and in combination with his adjustable track bar with stiffer than stock bushings, will help stabilize your front end.

When you lift a Jeep, if you don't do something about the track bars, your axles will no longer be centered. In the rear, one way is to add a drop bracket, the other way is to make the bar longer. The problem with the bracket is that it adds leverage to a point that's prone to failure anyway. Plenty of members here have learned this the hard way. An adjustable rear bar is a much better solution.

ohhh ok now I kind of just feel like a dumbass lol! I didn't realize this whole time you guys were talking about the rear track bar!! yeah I have a JKS adjustable rear track bar on the way to me right now. On the front I already have a skyjacker adjustable track bar but I was thinking the RE bar with the bracket I got would be an even better upgrade than what I have even though I don't really have any problems right now. I am just trying to make my joints last a little longer and perhaps tighten up my loose steering a little bit in the mean time.

OverkillZJ
02-22-2008, 09:05 PM
You know, instead of making fun of new members for bringing old threads back from the dead, we should be applauding that. I mean, isn't it better to have a new member who actually uses the search function, tries to find his answers, reads lots of old threads....and comes up with an additional question? Isn't the alternative worse? (Having a new member bring up the same shit all over again by asking the same question in a brand new useless thread.) I think we DO want our new members to do their homework, and search, before posting, and someone who brings up a 3 year old thread is certainly doing so.

I "made fun of" no one. It was a COMMENT, not an insult, not a bitch slap, give me a break.

haymaker
02-23-2008, 02:57 PM
whoa man, i don't think he was trying to attack you when he said you were making fun of me, i think he just said "make fun" for lack of a better phrase. anyways, maybe i do deserve to get made fun of because i pulled such a bonehead move here anyways! thanks for the help guys!

Skidmark
02-23-2008, 04:31 PM
My Rustys bracket has held up fine.

OverkillZJ
02-23-2008, 04:45 PM
whoa man, i don't think he was trying to attack you when he said you were making fun of me, i think he just said "make fun" for lack of a better phrase. anyways, maybe i do deserve to get made fun of because i pulled such a bonehead move here anyways! thanks for the help guys!

You weren't being made fun of, so his rant towards me pissed me off (obviously.) :smt044

Skyline
02-24-2008, 12:09 AM
You weren't being made fun of, so his rant towards me pissed me off (obviously.) :smt044

Sorry to piss you off, it was not my intent.

Lots of members here seem to get upset when people bring up old threads, and it seems many of the same members get equally upset when members, (especially new ones,) post the same old questions without trying to find an answer first through the use of the search function. In some circumstances this appears to be taking both sides of the same issue. Can't have your cake and eat it too....

I just was trying to say that the new member who dredges up an old thread and adds a meaningful question deserves to be encouraged, as it is better than the alternative. I do realize that you were by no means being spiteful, but you actions still set the tone for this board.

OverkillZJ
02-24-2008, 12:12 AM
I understand where you're coming from. Frankly it's hard for us to judge some times, but believe me we're taking things like this into consideration, it's just very very hard to please everyone somtimes, and hence why my post had to be re and re and re-edited ;)

We're still trying to find a balance on it, and may always be.

sevenslats
02-24-2008, 01:20 AM
So anyway, back to the topic...

How about Rusty's LA kit?

OverkillZJ
02-24-2008, 02:42 AM
No.

zj95maxx
02-24-2008, 09:56 AM
No.

What he said x3

oneroguecow
07-23-2008, 03:48 PM
I know that I am a couple months behind on this post, (pronounced newb to both forum and ZJs) but what is wrong with the Rusty's LA kit? Why is it a bad kit?

I have heard people complain about the Rock Krawler because it is "klunky."
I have heard of people not liking the Sky Jacker for various reasons.
I have heard of people not liking the various budget boosters because they aren't hardcore enough, and that everyone needs a set of long arms and 33's at a minimum.

On the other hand I know Rubicon Express makes quality products (I installed their LA kit on one of my friends' TJs), I hear good things about Clayton's, and I hear good things about everything on Kevin's page.

I guess the moral of this story is, what is everyone running as their suspension now, as opposed to three years ago when this thread originally started, and what do you like / dislike about it? And what is specifically wrong with Rusty's kit?

ATL ZJ
07-23-2008, 04:01 PM
I know that I am a couple months behind on this post, (pronounced newb to both forum and ZJs) but what is wrong with the Rusty's LA kit? Why is it a bad kit?

I have heard of people not liking the various budget boosters because they aren't hardcore enough, and that everyone needs a set of long arms and 33's at a minimum.

On the other hand I know Rubicon Express makes quality products (I installed their LA kit on one of my friends' TJs), I hear good things about Clayton's, and I hear good things about everything on Kevin's page.

I guess the moral of this story is, what is everyone running as their suspension now, as opposed to three years ago when this thread originally started, and what do you like / dislike about it? And what is specifically wrong with Rusty's kit?

Your post goes to show the wide range of users on this site. There's nothing wrong with a budget boost- my brother has one on his ZJ and it works great to get him to baseball practice and through the occasional patch of soggy grass. On the other end of the spectrum, I've snapped a lower link from Kevin's production longarm kit. Kevin now sells claytons.

If you want to save money, that's great as long as you don't plan to put your suspension through hell and back. However, some of the kits above raise safety concerns, even for on-road only use. Search around on this site and you'll find the same arguments/facts over and over.

dp96zj
07-23-2008, 06:46 PM

The best thing to do, if you're sitting stock right now, is to WHEEL IT. You'll get used to how jeep's handle, and that'll make you want to go higher. Then when you're sick of stuffing you're tires on everything, slowly work your way up. I'm at the BB phase (b/c of lack of funds :().

Then the next step you go (3.5"-4.5"), however high it is, get both front and rear adj. track bars, not just brackets, and adj. arms. From there, if the jeep disease has got ya, you'll be up to around 7", and get the Clayton's LA system.

This forum has people ranging from BB to god-knows-how-high and everything custom, and you just gotta find out how deep you're going into this "hobby". This is the place to be if you want to learn about upgrading your heep.

BTW: here are a few links on people with cRusty's products

http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11864&highlight=rustys

http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16367&highlight=rusty%27s

http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15331&highlight=rusty%27s

FYI: go-fast stickers help too

oneroguecow
07-23-2008, 09:55 PM
I am not new to wheeling, just ZJ's. When I lived in south Georgia, I had a '73 K5 with no lift at all, no suspension system upgrades what so ever (not even shocks as far as I could tell), just drivetrain beef of a 400 HP 350, a 420 transmission, and a 205 t-case, stock axles and 44" TSL's, a fire wall, a floor, and a cage. Not even a windshield. YES, IT HAD GONE BUGGY AND I LOVED IT, but alas, I had to get rid of it. Suspension was not really necessary dealing with area mud, but big tires on the other hand were....

back to the subject at hand...Now I leave in the Pacific North West, with a new terrain and a new rig. Starting from scratch. I know I like big, but I think I will take everyone's advice of starting close to stockwith a BB or some adjustable spacers. This is a 95% street rig (at least until I finish paying for it in October), but it already needs new tires. It would have been hard to justify doing a BB now, and spending $350 on some nice 31's, just to go up to some 33's or 35's next year. But I will take everyone's advice and go low.....for now.....MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. :partyman: I will make sure I post lots of pics of my BB install in the Newb Section. Seriously, thanks for the help.