PDA

View Full Version : Clicking, vibration....something's not right and I need help

BC98
09-23-2005, 11:53 AM
Got some problems with my '98 ZJ (4.0L with 242 TC) that I just noticed while driving it on Monday this week.

From start to about 30mph in 2WD, I can hear a clicking which sounds like its coming from the trans/TC area. At about 45mph, a kind of growling (with a mild vibration) starts from the same area. The frequency seems to change with vehicle speed.

When shifted into 4WD (either PT or FT), the grinding gets louder and when turning there is a loud clattering and it feels like the front end is binding up. All of this goes away once I shift back into 2WD.

I bought this Jeep about 2 years ago and like a dumbass, I never checked the driveline fluids. Checked the TC Monday and it was empty. Refilled it on Tuesday but didn't help.

I'm thinking it's either a front hub or something on the front output side of the TC (I know, pretty obvious). Anybody have any ideas on what's broken?

Deltron
09-23-2005, 12:02 PM
not much help but the last time I had a hub go out it made more of a squeeiking then a clicking and didn't bind the front end as you described. I would be more inclined to believe you have a problem elsewhere although im not real sure where...never had this problem. im sure one of the veterans on here can give you a decent answer though. peace
-Dave

Ken L
09-23-2005, 12:13 PM
Could be a few things...

Output bearings in the transfer case. They need lubrication, and haven't gotten any for some time at least. That will also lead to other stuff that wore out from non-lubrication,

U-joints in the driveline. Front axle, front and rear drive shaft. Grab the driveshafts and try to shake/twist them. Front axle you can check by jacking it up and trying to spin the tires back and forth. There should be no slop in the joint that you can notice.

The least expensive thing is a u-joint, because if it's a bad bearing in the t-case I would suspect other damage in there as well.

I'd start by checking the u-joints.

BC98
09-23-2005, 01:10 PM
I'll check the u-joints tonight. Anything else that anyone can think of at this point?

Kraqa
09-23-2005, 08:01 PM
zap straps????

BC98
09-29-2005, 10:00 AM
Update:

Pulled my front driveshaft and the clicking, noise, and vibration are gone. So, it looks like I'm going to have to crack open my transfer case and look around in there.

Has anyone ever rebuilt a 242? What does a TC rebuild kit usually include and where can I pick one up? I hate rebuilding old shit sometimes.....

Oh yeah, no zap straps on the DS either

Kraqa
09-29-2005, 10:33 AM
everthought it could just be your d-shaft. i woudl investigate that befdore i decide to operate on your t-case.

JeepinHank
09-29-2005, 11:51 AM
Ditto...

The CV joint up at the t-case is probably the culprit... You'll probably need a re-build kit for it, but depending on how far gone the CV stuff is, you might come out cheaper getting a new d-shaft.

BC98
09-29-2005, 02:46 PM
Hmm, d-shaft is a definite possibility still. Hell, with the age and mileage it probably wouldn't hurt to just rebuild the damn thing anyways.

When I was under the Jeep pulling my shaft, I turned the front output on the T-case and could still hear the clicking. If it is the case, any idea what that might be coming from?

Kraqa
09-30-2005, 01:30 PM
Hmm, d-shaft is a definite possibility still. Hell, with the age and mileage it probably wouldn't hurt to just rebuild the damn thing anyways.

When I was under the Jeep pulling my shaft, I turned the front output on the T-case and could still hear the clicking. If it is the case, any idea what that might be coming from?

the clickign you here when turnign the output could just be the chair inside. try turnign the cardan on the u-joint on you DS she if its stuck or super loose. or makes noise.

MikeyM
10-22-2005, 01:49 AM
When I was under the Jeep pulling my shaft,

Dude, sorry but that just struck me as funny. I vote ujoints or cardan, too but if the TC had no oil in it and it was run like that for a while...

just a thought. Mike.

Kraqa
10-22-2005, 02:30 PM
Edit: Chain inside NOT chair.

NewMexZJ
10-26-2005, 07:07 PM
I had the same problem with my 242. Found out that the chain had streched and was skipping over the gear. Bought a 242 out of a wrecked xj off ebay for $100 poped it in and problem was solved. Now I check tc fluid often.