PDA

View Full Version : Skool me on 4.6stroker

zjeepin
09-20-2005, 03:13 PM
My 4.0 has 262k on it and it just can't last much longer the way i beat on it. So I'm askin for some skoolin here, what do i need to gather to get this beeeotch between the unirails (lol).

oh yeah, im a 5sp too, currently running the ax-15 looking for a 3550, also planning on doubling the 231 with a flipped 300

TrojanMan
09-20-2005, 06:23 PM
My best advice to you is to read http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/ http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/stroker.html 2 or 3 times over each. Sooner or later I'll do some sort of write up here, but until then those are the two best links on the net. I HIGHLY advise buying a donor block to do it, actually I have one in charlotte, along with a couple other things you might want.. if you're interested. If you have any more specific questions feel free to post here, and also feel free to IM me on AIM anytime about anything (nczj).. I'm a bored college kid who needs something to do, and talking about strokers is what I do best:smt029

If you buy my donor block you can check out my 4.6 stroker!

Cue-Ball
09-20-2005, 06:33 PM
Yea Dino is the man. Does not get any better than his site.

And he is really helpful if you email him.

zjeepin
09-20-2005, 07:34 PM
thanks for the link man

Got the block already, its from an 88 xj, its a complete engine, i've also got another head.

im off to read more on those links

trojan, what you got i might want? we must collaborate! (wheres the damn beer drinker icon)

TrojanMan
09-20-2005, 08:49 PM
first I had a block and head i would have sold you...

but since you already have those, I'm really down to one item... I have pistons you'll want. H802CP. If you combine that with a shaved head you'll have a nice CR. My head is shaved .017, had I used these pistons, I would have been at a 9.8:1 CR. They are for a .030 overbore. I also have the rings to match. If you're interested let me know and we'll talk price.

hit me up on AIM either way.

zjeepin
09-21-2005, 08:33 AM
the block was free, i'll prolly get those pistons off of you, i'll PM later

do you have to run premium gas with your CR? I'd kinda like to stay away from havign to buy premium all the damn time

TrojanMan
09-21-2005, 01:17 PM
with a 9.8:1 CR yes you will, however when you do the math it's only 3 dollars or so more per pump, the performance is worth that.

I run a 9.5:1 CR, and I haven't gotten the timing perfect yet so I have to run premium to avoid a ping. Next time I go home i'm gonna hit it with the timing light to get it just right, then hopefully I should be able to go down to 89. Sooner or later i'm gonna get the APEXI tuner, it creates the perfect air/fuel ratio and you can tune it down to 89 too. That just happens to be 200 bucks I don't have right now. I might hook up my home made MAP adjuster though, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

*edit*
Just a hint, don't go to the machine shop until you have everything ready to go. You'll need to give the shop your block, pistons, rods, flex plate, main caps, bearings (rod and main), and the head. I reccomend doing a port and polish yourself, but if you want to spend extra money they'll do it. I reccomend you have the machine shop acid dip your head, then port & polish it, take it back and have them do a 3-angle valve job, then they'll clean it again. You'll want them to do a balance on the rotating assembly, that's why I say to give them the flex plate. Also make sure they know that the pistons are hypereutectic, so they need a tight clearance with the bore. Hopefully they'll recognize that upon seeing the label on the box, but just in case they'll need to know. Also I reccomend letting them put in the cam bearings and freeze plugs. Sure you can do that yourself, but it's just a neuance and if you have them do it you'll know it was done just right. My shop installed both for 20 bucks, including the price of the bearings and plugs.

zjeepin
09-21-2005, 02:25 PM
*edit*
Just a hint, don't go to the machine shop until you have everything ready to go. You'll need to give the shop your block, pistons, rods, flex plate, main caps, bearings (rod and main), and the head. I reccomend doing a port and polish yourself, but if you want to spend extra money they'll do it. I reccomend you have the machine shop acid dip your head, then port & polish it, take it back and have them do a 3-angle valve job, then they'll clean it again. You'll want them to do a balance on the rotating assembly, that's why I say to give them the flex plate. Also make sure they know that the pistons are hypereutectic, so they need a tight clearance with the bore. Hopefully they'll recognize that upon seeing the label on the box, but just in case they'll need to know. Also I reccomend letting them put in the cam bearings and freeze plugs. Sure you can do that yourself, but it's just a neuance and if you have them do it you'll know it was done just right. My shop installed both for 20 bucks, including the price of the bearings and plugs.

cool, thats what i needed to know. correct me if I'm wrong.... would it not be better for low end torque to not port and polish the head?

TrojanMan
09-21-2005, 04:10 PM
cool, thats what i needed to know. correct me if I'm wrong.... would it not be better for low end torque to not port and polish the head?

doing the port & polish provides the necessary air flow to match the amount of fuel you're dumping in. the more air you can get in, the more power you'll make, all the way across the torque curve. That's all a supercharger does, it forces more air in. Doing the port and polish is very key to the stroker. Even if you use a 96+ HO head you still won't get proper air flow. It's alot of work, but worth it. You're going to want to buy a carbide bit, I think the number is SG-5.. i'll look it up when I get a chance. It's 1" long, 1/4" shank, tree shaped, double cut carbide bit. It cuts away at the iron like a hot knife through butter. Then buy the standard abrasives kit that dino lists on his site, that will allow you to clean up, do a perfect gasket match, and get the mirror shine you need in order to avoid carbon buildup.

zjeepin
09-21-2005, 04:20 PM
doing the port & polish provides the necessary air flow to match the amount of fuel you're dumping in. the more air you can get in, the more power you'll make, all the way across the torque curve. That's all a supercharger does, it forces more air in. Doing the port and polish is very key to the stroker. Even if you use a 96+ HO head you still won't get proper air flow. It's alot of work, but worth it. You're going to want to buy a carbide bit, I think the number is SG-5.. i'll look it up when I get a chance. It's 1" long, 1/2" shank, tree shaped, double cut carbide bit. It cuts away at the iron like a hot knife through butter. Then buy the standard abrasives kit that dino lists on his site, that will allow you to clean up, do a perfect gasket match, and get the mirror shine you need in order to avoid carbon buildup.

aight, thats cool. Can I go ahead and get started port and polishing before i have the machine work done to the head?

aprox. how much am i looking at spending at the machine shop?

TrojanMan
09-21-2005, 04:40 PM
aight, thats cool. Can I go ahead and get started port and polishing before i have the machine work done to the head?

aprox. how much am i looking at spending at the machine shop?

yes you can do the port & polish before you go to the machine shop, however you'll probably want to go ahead and have them clean it. you don't want any buildup on it when you start cutting away, trust me. If you want to clean it yourself you could probably do a good enough job with brake parts cleaner and a wire brush, but don't scar the valve seating surface, also try not to be too abrasive anywhere else - don't leave any big scars, the money part of a port & polish is getting that glossy smooth finish.

You're looking at around 300-400 from the machine shop. The balance costed me 175 bucks, 3 angle valve job was 80, you get the picture. It might seem like alot but it is all necessary and worth every penny.

Also, you'll need AMSOIL oil, buy that from Dirk (aka cue-ball) :yawinkle:

*edit* http://wttool.com/p/1124-0025 that's the carbide bit you'll need. you can look elsewhere for it, but that's the only place aside from harbor freight.. these guys are good and I give alot of support to them. the most no-nonsense tool supplier i've ever seen.

OverkillZJ
09-21-2005, 04:53 PM
You've just been waiting to post something useful, eh? :finga:

TrojanMan
09-21-2005, 04:54 PM
You've just been waiting to post something useful, eh? :finga:

hell yeah i have! puma suck my stroker knowledge!

was that gay?

zjeepin
09-21-2005, 08:51 PM
hell yeah i have! puma suck my stroker knowledge!

was that gay?

it just may have been the gayest thing i've heard today, shall we post a poll? man, i was beginnin to think you were cool too.

edit: thanks for the info

fag

TrojanMan
09-21-2005, 09:14 PM
it just may have been the gayest thing i've heard today, shall we post a poll? man, i was beginnin to think you were cool too.

edit: thanks for the info

fag

no problem.. let me know if you have any more questions. also let me know if you want those pistons - i'll work out some deal for you.

Jim311
09-21-2005, 09:33 PM
Someone should stroke their 5.2 out.

TrojanMan
09-21-2005, 10:28 PM
Someone should stroke their 5.2 out.

I tried to get you to! A 5.2 can be stroked to a 390, not much less powerful than a 408

Jim311
09-21-2005, 10:40 PM
Big money nukka!

I've still got the block sitting in the garage ;)

TrojanMan
09-21-2005, 10:44 PM
Big money nukka!

I've still got the block sitting in the garage ;)

there you go man, just buy parts from time to time. I have a donor block waiting in my garage for another 4.6.. i'm thinking about doing a 5.0L stroker actually, but that'll take alot of time.

Kraqa
09-21-2005, 10:52 PM
i think this is the most knowledge trojan man has ever posted.

TrojanMan
09-21-2005, 11:44 PM
i think this is the most knowledge trojan man has ever posted.

this thread = my new home.:rofl:

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
09-22-2005, 01:13 AM
I'll give em that, he can talk some engine tech but he still can't tell a D30 from a 2.5 ton RW. :flipoff2:

TrojanMan
09-22-2005, 02:26 AM
I'll give em that, he can talk some engine tech but he still can't tell a D30 from a 2.5 ton RW. :flipoff2:

come on now, i'm not -that- bad.

Jim311
09-22-2005, 07:02 AM
there you go man, just buy parts from time to time. I have a donor block waiting in my garage for another 4.6.. i'm thinking about doing a 5.0L stroker actually, but that'll take alot of time.

I couldn't afford to have my shit not run for 6 months.. like somebody I know :flipoff2:

zjeepin
09-22-2005, 09:21 AM
no problem.. let me know if you have any more questions. also let me know if you want those pistons - i'll work out some deal for you.

I'll take the pistons, PM me or something when you decide what you want for them. is there anything you are on the hunt for, Im damn good finding parts.

zjeepin
09-26-2005, 01:08 PM
so i found Titan engines... They build 4.6 strokers as well as hundreds of other replacement engines. $1795 for a 4.6. Whaddyathink o that?

Cue-Ball
09-26-2005, 01:10 PM
They actually have an add running on ebay right now for a 4.6 that they will build to your specs after the auction.

zjeepin
09-26-2005, 01:22 PM
They actually have an add running on ebay right now for a 4.6 that they will build to your specs after the auction.

Yep, i talked with one of the guys on the phone this morning. they bascially use ebay to advertise, its where i first saw them.

I think the price is damn reasonable when you compare it to buying a new 4.0. Im just wondering how much money i would actually save building it myself vs. buying it.

Cue-Ball
09-26-2005, 01:29 PM
Trojan would have to answer how much you would save. But for $1800 you really can't go wrong, much better than Golen at close to $4,000. I think you would be into it about $1800 to do it yourself anyway and if you buy it built atleast you have someone to blame if it craps out.

zjeepin
09-26-2005, 01:40 PM
Trojan would have to answer how much you would save. But for $1800 you really can't go wrong, much better than Golen at close to $4,000. I think you would be into it about $1800 to do it yourself anyway and if you buy it built atleast you have someone to blame if it craps out.

maybe trojan will get out of bed and read this soon.... damn college kids got it made... i miss college...

there is a certain level of confidence knowing that an engine builder put it together rather than me who's never put one together. They offer a warrantee on there engines too. Im thinkin this is the way to go

TrojanMan
09-26-2005, 01:57 PM
What specs do they list on that site? Also what is the shipping? So far it sounds like a good deal.

zjeepin
09-26-2005, 04:17 PM
What specs do they list on that site? Also what is the shipping? So far it sounds like a good deal.

the guy told me on the phone that it makes 250HP and ~300ft/lbs at around 3k rpms.

TrojanMan
09-26-2005, 06:27 PM
sounds like your run of the mill stroker, sounds like a good deal. how much do they want for shipping? Also, is it balanced?

zjeepin
09-27-2005, 03:05 PM
sounds like your run of the mill stroker, sounds like a good deal. how much do they want for shipping? Also, is it balanced?

I didn't ask if it was balanced but i must. im not too concerned about the shipping, i have a friend who travels from here to west palm at least once a month, he said he'd pick it up on his way.

Cue-Ball
09-27-2005, 03:10 PM
Keep us posted.

zjeepin
09-27-2005, 03:51 PM
Keep us posted.

sure will, but your sig applies to me as well, big plans little cash. Im actually planning this to be my winter project: stroker, 4 speed, doubler. Man I got an assload of pictures, i just need somewhere to host them thats free, or at least damn cheap. Im just not into spending money on things like that, if it doesn't keep me smiling, my stomach full, or my dick hard im not fucking paying for it.

TrojanMan
09-27-2005, 04:29 PM
as soon as I figure it out, I can host them on my server space, otherwise talk to overkill.

Cue-Ball
09-27-2005, 04:33 PM
I use fototime costs me about $25 a year. I have 500mb of storage and can host videos, all in all not to bad.

TrojanMan
09-27-2005, 05:01 PM
i use fototime too, except they purge me every 3 months because I don't pay:smt043