PDA

View Full Version : Windows are not working Again!!!! I have tried EVERYTHING!!!

coolest_stan
09-13-2005, 10:10 PM
Well heres the problem.
NONE of my windows work!
I am pretty sure that no fuse is burnt out, because I tested the connections with a multimeter, and they were continous (I think, im not sure if I did it right, the plugs plugging into the master swithc had like 6 metal ends, so I just randomly tested any 2 of them, some couples were cotinuous, and some were not)
Where would I chekc for my power window fuse anyways?
I have a 93 grand cherokee limited, and I know the fuse box is next to glove compartment, I jsut don't know which fuse to check. (or how to check it, do I just check it visually, and see if there is a burn mark/gap?)
There is also a fuse box under my hood, I don;t know if I should check that either

Well anyhoo, im not sure what the problem is, and I don;t really hink it is a fuse, so I think that my master switch is broken. I think this because ALL my windows do not work, when I press the switches none of the motors even make a sound.

Also, I checked for loose wires at the boot of my dirvers side door and fornt passengers door. Anywhere else I should check for loose wires?

Please help! Thanks

I also have details on how the windows stopped working.
I was driving down the road, beating my subs prettyhigh. THen I opened my window. Then i tried to clsoe it a bit ebcause ti was too cold. But it didn;t work. SO wehnI got gome, I tiried it again, and it worked, so I closed the window. A few hours later, I start to the car, and the windows don;t work anymore.
None of them work!
(and no, its not becuas I put the winodw lock on" I hope that might help a bit.
Thanks

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
09-13-2005, 11:28 PM
do they go down if you use the button on the other doors? if they do it could be your circuit board on the drivers door is fried. Open it up and see if everything looks good and connections are solid.

OverkillZJ
09-13-2005, 11:56 PM
do they go down if you use the button on the other doors? if they do it could be your circuit board on the drivers door is fried. Open it up and see if everything looks good and connections are solid.

If that boards fried, it wont work from the other controllers. The relays are in both front doors (left side has relays for left side, and same for right.) - but if the drivers door board cooks, none of the windows will work at all. At least I know this to be true on my 97 so I assume its true for 96-98, and probably all ZJ's.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
09-14-2005, 12:06 AM
guess that makes sense, my old POS had the circuit boards in each door panel.

dasVettemeister
09-14-2005, 02:10 AM
guess that makes sense, my old POS had the circuit boards in each door panel.

Liar. :butthead:

coolest_stan
09-14-2005, 02:48 AM
actaully, NONE of the windows work.

" but if the drivers door board cooks, none of the windows will work at all"

so basically you are saying I need a new board for my drivers door, basically a master switch. RIght?

OverkillZJ
09-14-2005, 09:47 AM
actaully, NONE of the windows work.

" but if the drivers door board cooks, none of the windows will work at all"

so basically you are saying I need a new board for my drivers door, basically a master switch. RIght?

I didn't say that. There could be any other of 1000 other things wrong. All I said is that if something is causing that board to not function, none of the windows will work. You could even have a break in the wires, such as the windo lock wire.

Jeepinparrothead
09-14-2005, 10:06 AM
That is correct. The wire for the window locks button is very problematic so I am told. I drive with my windows down a lot and you do that enough time you will have problems. Well, I thought that I had cooked the whole board, but no the wire on the window lock button had a tear and was shorting out every now and then causing me to not be able to use any of the buttons on the drivers door. Just something to think about.

Kraqa
09-14-2005, 01:00 PM
this happend to me and it was the black wire running through the boot from the drivers door to the A pillar. Overtime the opening and closing of the doors causes that wire to eventually snap or break. Aparently this is a common problem. i woudl look into that.

coolest_stan
09-14-2005, 03:28 PM
alright thanks for all the advice. I think my window lock button is broken. It doesn't stay down after you push it down, it jus pops right back up. Is that a sign that it is broken?
Where is the window lock wire though? I took apart eh master switch, and there are no wires in there. Is it on one of the plugs leading to teh master switch? (and if it is, what color wire is it)

I will also check that black wire leading to the a-pillar. But where is the a-pillar?
sorry, im a noob at this :toimonst:

coolest_stan
09-14-2005, 04:51 PM
ok, so I tried looking for the blak wire in the a-pillar, but there ar eno wires on the a pillar. So then I tested the continuity of the tan wire (wire leading to the master switch), and it was continous, so that means there is no problem is the wiring. (right?)

So now I am thinking that it is the window lock/ window lock wire that needs to be fixed.
How do I fix this? As I mentioned beore, I took apart the master swtich, and all I have no idea how to fix the window lock. My window lock button is broken already as well. Is it possible to use my windows without a window lock button, (because I dont care if I dont have the ability to lock my windows)? Or do I need to buy a new master switch?

OverkillZJ
09-14-2005, 04:56 PM
No one's going to be able to tell you exactly what to do. You just need to get in there and figure it out. Check for breaks in the wires between the body and door, that's the most common cause. That switch could be a problem, maybe it's possible to just solder it as closed loop, but I cant' really tell you since I don't have doors any more.

Good luck.

coolest_stan
09-14-2005, 05:12 PM
ok, the reason is because I have already checked the wires and plugs in every door already, and I could not find any problems.
SO I am guessing that the problem is with the master switch.
But I still need to know if I can use the master switch without a window lock button. Right now no matter what I do with the window lock (I push it down, hold it down, let it come up) I cannot get the window to open.

Kraqa
09-14-2005, 08:06 PM
my wire broke inside the rubber boot between the door and the body.

coolest_stan
09-14-2005, 08:20 PM
oh... thats waht you meant when you said between the door and a-pillar
Well, I checked the boot, and it doesnt seem any wires are loose. I also tested the voltage running to the master switch, and it was 12 volts, so there is nothing wrong with the wiring
I think it is safe to assume that my master switch is the problem?

JpRngr
09-15-2005, 02:15 AM
When you say you checked the wires and they weren't loose, does that mean you pulled on them or actually cut the boot off and checked all the individual wires? Cause that's what you need to do. The wires tend to break inside the boot and without getting it out of the way, there's no way of checking them. The reason everyone keeps going back to this is that it's a VERY common problem.

Corey

gsh
09-15-2005, 01:03 PM
Checking for 12v to the driver's switch cluster would have been my first in the door test after checking for bad circuit breakers/fuses. (most power windows have breakers)

If 12v is there, then check the driver's switch cluster. That's the next point in the circuit and the primary reason why the driver's window isn't working if you have 12v to that switch cluster.

cwm
09-15-2005, 01:15 PM
Try this
Find the ground on the back of the main window swich take a wire and stick it in the plug and ground it on the door make shue there is no paint where you ground it and try your windows I just fixed a friends ZY by cutting the wire and grounding it to the door.