PDA

View Full Version : over-knuckle steering, angles and drivability.

Nate Cannon
09-13-2005, 04:11 PM
Ok, so believe it or not, I'm about to start ordering parts to set up the steering on my 44 so I can get it put in and drive it. I have quite a few questions and I actually searched but well I'm lazy and didn't dig really deep.

1st I'm cheap, so I'm wondering if there is a way to use my current drag link, or a waggy drag link and my pitman arm, basically, I want to know if I can go pull junk yard parts off something and make the waggy 44 steering work on my car without fabbing anything (I'm also lazy)

I've heard my pitman arm can't be reamed?

If not no biggie, but...

With the steering over the knuckles that's going to mess with the whole trackbar/drag link angle thing and I'm wondering if people find this to be problematic or if it's just one of those things auto designers worry about. When the jeep works it WILL be driven back and forth from the trail, and to moab and such, so it has to work well on the road, up to about 80. I do not intend on changing and trackbar angles so I'm just wondering if people who have vastly different andles between steering and the trackbar have problems. uhh I think that's about it, kind of newb but it is steering related. I'm just really trying to get back into it, and I really have to just GET STARTED on this so I'm sort of posting as some motivation or something. Thanks.
-Nate

LouisianaZJ
09-13-2005, 04:21 PM
might have to make or move the t-bar bracket on the axle and shorten the t-bar or something

dont know about the reamer on the pitman arm, but i have seen it done before. dont know if its OK or not though

AprilzWarrior has done this stuff before

JohnBoulderCO
09-13-2005, 05:03 PM
It will have a little bump steer if you move the drag link but not the track bar. I didn't worry about it, no biggy for me.

Yes you can machine the pitman arm, I did for a big Chevy TRE. But, instead of using an expensive tapered bit and a hand drill, I took the TRE and the pitman arm to Willys on Arapahoe and 55th and John did it for $10 on a CNC machine. That's what I would do.

Kraqa
09-13-2005, 08:03 PM
i reamed my pitman arm with a round file. i woudln't not suggest that if your lazy. It isn't exactly the fastest weay to do it.

AprilzWarrior
09-13-2005, 08:16 PM
Go buy a ream and ream it... OR take the Pitman Arm AND TRE to a machine shop and have it matched... should only cost like $10-20 range.

Well a shop just might slam you for 1/2 hour too.

But you can to it and still have LOTS of material on the Arm.