PDA

View Full Version : XJ brake upgrade

BigDaveZJ
09-13-2005, 02:54 PM
The brakes on my dad's XJ BRING TEH SUCK. They can barely stop the vehicle at idle. It's pathetic. Been bled, new pads, shoes, all that shit, and no improvement. So in talking to a few XJ guys they told me about a swap to some parts from like a 95 that has a dual diaphram booster or some shit like that. Bought the parts from one of them like a year ago and now it's time to replace since my dad's going hunting soon. I can do basic brake shit, but never dove into something like this before. The parts I have are basically from the firewall forward of that whole mess and the little bit that sticks back behind the firewall for the pedal hookup. Any clue on how to do this shit before I start ripping stuff apart???

ATL ZJ
09-13-2005, 03:56 PM
Are you sure there's not air in the lines? Every time I've had one with symptoms as you describe it was because there was still air in the system. This was also before I really knew how to bleed brakes correctly.. That would be my first check.

If you're 150% sure the system is air-free, master cylinders are pretty cheap. I might consider replacing his with a new one. You may see some difference, and you may not. If it doesn't have ABS, it's a pretty simple hydraulic system.. If you can't get the results you want, I would not hesistate to swap in newer components. Haven't heard of the dual diaphragm booster, but I know the older booster from 87 XJs, and maybe others around that year, is used with the e350 MC on the kungfu upgrade. And that combination obviously produces more than enough stopping power.

LouisianaZJ
09-13-2005, 04:19 PM
yeah look on naxja.org

i dont think they will be all that much better even after you do it. the rear drums on these things are beyond sucking

rear discs is your best bet really, just swap in a ZJ d35 or something and strip the brackets off, weld on 2 perches

dasVettemeister
09-13-2005, 05:44 PM
The brakes on my dad's XJ BRING TEH SUCK. They can barely stop the vehicle at idle. It's pathetic. Been bled, new pads, shoes, all that shit, and no improvement. So in talking to a few XJ guys they told me about a swap to some parts from like a 95 that has a dual diaphram booster or some shit like that. Bought the parts from one of them like a year ago and now it's time to replace since my dad's going hunting soon. I can do basic brake shit, but never dove into something like this before. The parts I have are basically from the firewall forward of that whole mess and the little bit that sticks back behind the firewall for the pedal hookup. Any clue on how to do this shit before I start ripping stuff apart???

Fucking noob try going to:

www.jeepsunlimited.com

j/k Buahahahahaha! Yes, I had to do it! :smt003