PDA

View Full Version : Fluid leak?? Transfer Case Help

Hkoch45
09-10-2005, 02:23 PM
I have a fluid leak at the transmission where transfer case bolts up. It's leaking out of the bottom groove on the transmission right above bottom bolt of the transfer case. It only leaks when on a hill or offroading not when the truck is sitting flat. My transmission fluid is at the same level but the transfer case fluid is about a 1/2" lower. Is the groove a over flow for the transfer case. Sorry if this belongs in newbie section.

rccolacc
09-12-2005, 04:07 AM
After just finishing up my 231 swap in my grand, I know what you're talking about. There is a space between the trasfercase and the transmission, and there's a groove in the transfercase mounting surface designed to drain the oil that happens to get trapped between the two. Both the trans and the case should have a seal on the shaft, and since your oil was low on the case, I would bet it's your transfer case seal that's bad and leaking the oil. The only way to replace that seal is to pull your transfercase off. If it were me, I'd keep refilling the case. Oil would have to be $50 a quart to get me to repace my seal if it ever blew. I don't want to ever pull my case off again.
Just my opinion. Hope it helps.
-RC