PDA

View Full Version : mystery coolant leak

BigDaveZJ
09-05-2005, 01:57 AM
Pam's ZJ developed a coolant leak over the last couple days. First noticed it when the VIC started bitching about low coolant. So we added some more, and then a little while later the VIC starting bitching again. It finally became noticeable leaking onto the ground. Figured the plastic ends of the radiator lost the seal with the metal radiator. Well then it wouldn't leak after we filled it up again to get it back home. I poke around underneath and the water pump (my best guess due to the intermittent problem) is clean as a whistle. The radiator support thingamajigger has coolant all over it, but the bastard won't leak now. WTF would cause the radiator itself to leak, and then stop??? I'm assuming we'll be replacing the radiator since the water pump is clean, but I dunno right now. The biggest concentration of radiator fluid was right underneath the drain cock, but no apparent signs of leakage from the radiator itself.

I'm stumped.

jdoom
09-05-2005, 02:02 AM
Exact same thing happened to me about 3-4 months ago. I couldn't figure out where my leak was coming from. The hoses were fine, water pump was fine, but there was coolant all over the radiator support. I continued to add fluid for a while and finally got tired of it, replaced the radiator and has been fine since.

TrojanMan
09-05-2005, 02:09 AM
last time i had big leak problems, my lower radiator hose wasn't on all the way

BigDaveZJ
09-05-2005, 02:11 AM

Lower radiator hose is on the pass. side, all evidence of leakage is on the driver side.

Jim311
09-05-2005, 02:32 AM
I had a mysterious leak before I swapped radiators after my engine swap. I noticed that I kept having to add small amounts of coolant periodically, but I never saw any evidence of leaking. Anyway.. I pulled out the radiator so it didn't get damaged during my engine swap. I decided to flush some water through the radiator while it was out. It turns out there was a small pinhole leak that had been partially clogged by dirt and debris. When I flushed the radiator it cleaned out that small clog and I developed a larger leak. The leak was right in front of the fan, so the small amount that was leaking was being vaporized by the fan, so I saw no evidence of leaking whatsoever. If I hadn't have flushed the radiator I'm sure it would have continued slowly leaking forever and I'd have had no idea.

Colorado 5.9
09-05-2005, 03:54 AM

Lower radiator hose is on the pass. side, all evidence of leakage is on the driver side.

Maybe the upper hose. Either side of the temp sensor? Could be that it's a high pressure leek around/under the clamps. I replaced mine at about 60,000 miles or so.

ZJake
09-05-2005, 10:25 AM
My rad drain plug was leaking pretty bad and I replaced the o-ring on it and it stopped. Other than that try some Barr's stop leak. It'll stop a leak.

BigDaveZJ
09-05-2005, 10:58 AM
Other than that try some Barr's stop leak. It'll stop a leak.

And fudge up the water pump.

I'm gonna try to get it to leak again so I can confirm where it's coming from, but I'm pretty sure I'll be replacing the radiator. It just baffles me that it leaks sometimes but not others.

OverkillZJ
09-05-2005, 11:42 AM
Other than that try some Barr's stop leak. It'll stop a leak.

And fudge up the water pump.

I'm gonna try to get it to leak again so I can confirm where it's coming from, but I'm pretty sure I'll be replacing the radiator. It just baffles me that it leaks sometimes but not others.

that's exactly how my leak was when the draincock had an old o-ring on it. new oring and draincock fixed it right up!

Bustin' Loose
09-05-2005, 02:21 PM
except there is no evidense that the draincock is leaking anything. Looked dry as the desert.

Gonna take the little girl out here soon to see if I can get her to mark her territory again. . .

OverkillZJ
09-05-2005, 04:37 PM
I couldn't catch the draincock leaking; but every time it was driven there was fluid on top of the crossmember.

silber
09-05-2005, 08:09 PM
I had a small coolant leak too, similar to this one. Chased it for a few weeks untill one day coolant was spraying out of the front of the motor while I was driving. Stopped and checked it out, and coolant was pouring out of the motor. Got back in to drive back home and it stopped. Crazy as all get out. Turned out to be the timing cover on the front of the motor. Apparantly there is a coolant passage in it. Real bitch to fix. Hope it is not that for you...

zjoe
09-06-2005, 01:39 PM
I vote for the plastic tanks/metal core radiator. Mine leaked on both sides all winter. Just about the time it was warm enough to go out and fix it, it quit leaking. Course my jeep seems to lose its mind every once in awhile and send me on wild goose chases. I'd say go drive the shit out of it, but gas prices being what they are...... Good luck! :smt003

P.S.-Thanks for reminding me that I need to deal with my rad. before it gets cold out. Looks like I need to poop some more money!

Bustin' Loose
09-08-2005, 01:17 AM
I have come to the conclusion that my jeep is a first class bitch.

Damn..nothing is easy with her. just got done swaping the radiator. PITA! Now there is another mysterious clunk when I hit the curb coming into my driveway...WTF????

Deltron
09-09-2005, 09:18 PM
While we're on the subject somebody wanna take a stab at mine. a couple months ago i came out to see a huge ass puddle under the jeep(drivers side). hoses were fine and the water pump showed no signs of leaking, so i filled it up to get to class and back and it never leaked again. i thought well screw it i guess it fixed itself. about two weeks ago another decent size puddle but it hasn't leaked since...I can't figure it out. ive poked around under it a little, but seeing as how it only gets moody every now and then i haven't worried about it. anyone had this problem yet? peace
-Dave