PDA

View Full Version : 5 spd into a 4.0 grand

Hurricane 4x4
08-31-2005, 11:04 PM
Anyone know what it would take to put a 5 speed into a grand?

I have a 96 4.0 with the 42RE auto trans and 242 tcase.

its just something I have been thinking about... a friend of mine has a cherokee with the ax-15 5 speed... its alot of fun to drive... not as good off road, but i think the fun factor makes up for it..

SuicideTireZJ
08-31-2005, 11:21 PM
I've often wondered the same thing myself, except I have a 5.2L. I've seen pics of it done in a ZJ, and I'm sure someone will post them up later.

Getting the actual stickshift in wouldn't be too bad: probably some trimming of the floorpan and modification of the center console, and maybe some bending of the linkage or something, but I have no idea how you'd figure out how to mount the third pedal.

ATL ZJ
08-31-2005, 11:32 PM
Harry did it a while back. I'll get him to post here.

Doctor Evil
09-01-2005, 12:02 AM
yeah my tranny and tc both feel like they are gonna go sometime soon, i have thought about doing some sort of swap myself

ATL ZJ
09-01-2005, 12:10 AM
If the weak ass 42RE goes in mine, chances are I'll go tf999 and d300 Kraqa style..

TrojanMan
09-01-2005, 03:11 AM
the ax-15 should bolt right up pretty easily on the engine, considering it is available on the 4.0. The flywheel should bolt right up and the belhousing should bolt up as well. The biggest problem i'd say would be with the linkage.

gonecheenin
09-01-2005, 08:15 AM
I am in the process of researching doing that right now with a dual case setup in my 95' 4.0L, 42re Grand,
tranny blew out forward two weeks ago and $2000 is NOT an acceptable price for a rebuilt transmission!

93 & 94 Grands came with a 5 speed in the base model only with the 4.0L
in fact every day my girlfriend drives a 94' with the Factory 5 speed

specific for the Grand (may fit the XJ's too but i'm not sure yet)
you can buy the flywheel new from NAPA for a 93-94, you can buy the rubber part of the trans mount, you can buy the clutch master and Slave as an assembly new from jeepshop.com, and i think you can buy the metal part of the transmount assembly from Chrysler also

the hole for the slave cylinder to mount is already there covered with a block off plate on my 95', you can see it easily right on the firewall between the drivers inner fender and the brake booster

the junkyard parts you'll need are a bellhousing from a i believe 94-99 AX15 to 4.0L jeep engine combo, the most important part is that it MUST use an external slave cylinder!

and the only truly specific junkyard and very hard to find part you'll need is the ZJ specific Clutch and Brake pedals, however i have heard that it is possible to do some modifying of the XJ clutch pedal to get it to work in the ZJ

gearhead313
09-01-2005, 06:51 PM
I'm also getting closer to doing this on my 5.2l. I was thinking about picking up all dodge ram 318ci stuff IF it will work on the jeep 318. I'll post up later if i find anythign out this weekend.

5 Speed ZJ
09-05-2005, 09:50 PM
Anyone know what it would take to put a 5 speed into a grand?

I have a 96 4.0 with the 42RE auto trans and 242 tcase.

its just something I have been thinking about... a friend of mine has a cherokee with the ax-15 5 speed... its alot of fun to drive... not as good off road, but i think the fun factor makes up for it..

I did it. I love the 5 speed and it is fun to drive. When you do it, make sure you get the right ax-15. I got the "wrong" one and it made things harder. Make sure you get one with the fuckin external slave, it is a bitch and a half otherwise and man it sucked. That is the only reason mine took so long to complete. And here is where I got the master/slave for future reference: http://www.jeepparts.com/Products/Clutch_files/page0003.htm (that picture on that page isn't of the ZJ one btw, it looks completely different). But you will also need to do some custom work to get the XJ clutch pedal/brake pedal to work, and I don't remember what I did, but you would be able to figure it out. You would need to ground out the NSS (Neutral Safety Swtich) otherwise it wouldn't start. I just tucked all of the other wires that go to the TCU, but wrapped them with that heat protectant stuff. You should also get the XJ transfer case to go with it, it will make things so much easier. Just sell your 242 after the swap. Any more questions just ask, I don't frequent this board very much, but Cam will let me know if you have posted anything I'm sure.