PDA

View Full Version : Popping/Binding in front end PLEASE HELP!!!

asumtnrbb4105
08-30-2005, 10:58 PM
Whenever I am in any mode of 4wd on my 99 WJ and start climbing a hill i hear a binding/popping noise coming from the front end. I dont think its the transfer case and I have a feeling it might be the front CV driveshaft. I know there is an upgrade kit to the U-joint front and Im wondering if that will cure my problem. This has been going on for weeks now and I need help urgently before it starts to snow up here. Thanks to anybody who can help or tries!!!!!!! :prayer: :prayer:

Kraqa
08-30-2005, 11:08 PM
i dont' recall wj's having any disconnect in the front axle. this woudl mean that your drive shaft will spin all the time. so its probably not that. do you take it out 4x4in much? is it possible that you broke a CV axle shat?

LouisianaZJ
08-30-2005, 11:11 PM
i dunno man

how old is your front axle fluid?

check transfer case lube level and make sure the 4wd lever is engaging the gear seection

sevenslats
08-30-2005, 11:17 PM
How steep of a hill? Is it only occuring when you go uphill?

Have a helper monkey isolate the sound. Is it near the wheel? Which side? Is it coming from underneath, near the xfer case? Also have them look for anything obviously wrong. Axleshafts sloppy, driveshaft bouncing...
Have you gotten underneath and checked for play in the driveline?

asumtnrbb4105
08-31-2005, 12:14 AM
I have gone under and there is a bit of play regarding the front drive shaft. When i have it parked i can reach under and twist the front shaft with some sort of a clicking noise coming from close to the transfer case. The only time this happens is when im going uphill so maybe i do need to check my fluid levels. but the front shaft is a piece of shit anyway i need to get a new shaft made somehow. i dont think it is any of the CV shafts in the front but i might have to check again.

JohnBoulderCO
08-31-2005, 12:26 AM
The 99-00 front drive shafts being a CV (not a Double Carden) will break if you lift it a few inches and wheel it. Best to replace it.

Hard to tell from your sig, but if you have a JKS trackbar, if it's loose or the bushings are worn, it will make popping sounds, most noticable when climbing stuff.

I have gone through a few bushings in my JKS track bar.

asumtnrbb4105
08-31-2005, 10:27 AM
i do have a different popping noise that might be caused by the track bar. that also is something that i need to replace but right now i think the issue is the front drivetrain...