PDA

View Full Version : Custom drive shafts and u-joint straps

Kraqa
08-28-2005, 07:04 PM
i'm going to have to be makng some custom drive shafts soon when i get the doubler and d300 in place. i have never seen this done so i thoguth i woudl ask. could you use a weldable yoke with u-joint straps on the drive shaft and have it mate up to a strapped yoke on the axle? that woudl make it super easy to change a u-joint incase of a failer on the trail. just a thought.

LouisianaZJ
08-28-2005, 07:11 PM
i think your asking if you can run 4 sets of straps on the ujoints???!111??!

not sure if you could get a d-shaft to balance like that

i think a std driveshaft with a set of ubolts would hold up just fine. i think they even make a d-shaft CTM now if you want ultimate strength

JeepinHank
08-29-2005, 12:58 PM
In my experience, straps are always more prone to failure than a full yoke.

Don't have much experience with u-bolt styles, but I do know they are better than the strap style. If it were me, I'd probably go with the a full weldable yoke on the d-shaft and the u-bolt style yoke on the pinion.

TrojanMan
08-29-2005, 01:54 PM
just use zip ties :axe:

Kraqa
08-29-2005, 03:02 PM
i'v never broken a u-joint on a d-shaft before. but i'v always wondered about this.

JeepinHank
08-29-2005, 07:20 PM
i'v never broken a u-joint on a d-shaft before. but i'v always wondered about this.

I've never broken one either, but I've spit caps like they were going out of style. The first time one went, it chewed up the straps and the yoke on my D-35. From then on, no matter how much I tightened them, I was never able to get them to hold. I replace straps several times (never the yoke), but finally got pissed and tacked the caps in place. Never had a problem with it again. :smt003