PDA

View Full Version : a few 8.8 questions to help refresh my memory

greenmeanzj
08-27-2005, 11:29 AM
Hey its been a while since I have been on the forums, I put the Grand project on hold for a little while but have started it up again.

The first thing that I am going to add on to the grand is a new rear end and of course i will be going to a ford 8.8.

Here are my questions( sorry i'm a little rusty about this topic)

1. Will the rear disk breaks off of my D35 fit the 8.8?

2. What should I set the pinion angle at when I weld the brackets on?

3. I would be planinng on selling the D35 I have so I am not going to cut the brackets off of it to put on the 8.8 so is there a place that has all of the brackets I would need to weld on to the 8.8?

4. I remember seeing some guy being able to keep abs when he swaped in his 8.8, he pressed the stock tone rings onto the axle and other stuff, I am wondering if anyone might remember who that was or know them selves how much he might have spent doing that.

5. And the last question is on average what was the usual cost that people on here have spent building up a 8.8 for the back of their Grands and how were the axles set up?

Thanks for your guy's time
Brian

BigDaveZJ
08-27-2005, 11:33 AM
I'd guess my total cost on the 8.8 swap is around $600. Tom Zehrbach (he goes by Z on here) is the guy that managed to keep his ABS.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
08-28-2005, 12:24 AM
1:) I dont think the D35 rotors will work because of the backing plates on the 8.8 but i could be wrong.

2:) Depends on how much you're lifted, my pinion is at 11* and brackets at 0* but depends how much lift you're running.

3.) BTF and some other companies make a TJ bracket kit but you can only use like 1/3 of them. I cut mine off just to keep it simple, I dunno anyone who would pay actual money for a D35 so why not?

4:) ABS ain't worth it.

5:) You could probably get your swap done for $600-$700ish.

nate
08-28-2005, 03:14 AM
You can use D35 rotors and calipers, but the backing plate won't fit without modifying it. The guy I bought my axle from had the backing plates, so it worked out pretty good.

Pinion angle depends on how much lift and what type of driveshaft. I have 18* on mine.

Not sure on ABS

Cost... I have alot of $$ into my 8.8. I'm on my 3rd set of gears, 2nd ARB. It's had a rough life. haha. Don't use Genuine Gear stuff, they are JUNK.

Jeepinc1
08-28-2005, 09:12 PM
Not to cut in on the post and this may be a dumb question but i know little to nothing about ABS. I'm working on getting an 8.8 into my ZJ and am trying to figure out why you cant just connect the two ZJ ABS wires to the ABS sensor on the top of the 8.8? Are these just totally different systems read by different computers. I was just going to try it for myself but if somebody can give me a definitive "not going to work" and "your a freakin idoit for thinking it might" I can just ditch the whole ABS system.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
08-28-2005, 09:22 PM
the sensors are different and it looks like the 8.8 only has one while the stock axle has 2.

5.2Krawler
08-28-2005, 10:31 PM
I don't have anything to back it up but I heard that they have different numbers of teeth on the tone rings which would make the Jeep think the rear axle is moving faster or slower than the front and cause the ABS to try and correct it when it doesnt need to be corrected.

Mtn WJ
08-29-2005, 11:30 AM
Since the ZJ is really a 3 channel ABS system you have two options for ABS.

The ABS tone ring on the 8.8 is on the ring gear and has 108 teeth. The ZJ D35 has tone rings on both axle shafts just inside the hub. To use the explorer tone ring you will need to wire both sensors to the Ford Sensor and file every other tooth off of the Ford tone ring.

The other idea is what Tom Z came up with. In my opinion the best one. You will need to file the very outer edge of the 8.8 housing to be flush with the seal. Then have the center of the ZJ tone rings machined to match the diameter of the 8.8 axle and have it pressed on the shaft. Keep in mind the tone ring is concave and you will need to have the concave portion pointed towards the differential to allow the most clearance for the ring to fit. Then drill a hole into the backing plate to mount the sensors.

I suggest getting an 8.8 with discs on it already. I have seen 8.8's with discs range from 350-600 bucks depending on number of miles and where you buy it.

Jeepinc1
08-30-2005, 12:13 PM
Okay, # of teeth, that explains it better. I tought ABS didnt care how fast each wheel was going, just as long as they werent locked up.

Thanks guys.

greenmeanzj
09-02-2005, 08:50 PM
hey thanks for all the replies. i have one more question for you guys. i went to a place that has done some stuff to my jeep mainly just installing the diff gears in the back. well they said that they could build up the dana 35 in the rear to be just as strong as a 8.8 they would put 31 spline axles in it, 4:56 gears, ox or some selectable locker, and then truss it.

i know everyone says that the dana 35 is a turd and all your doing is polishing it, but would a dana 35 set up like that be stronger than a stock axle 8.8 with 4:56 and a selectable locker?

i am mainly asking because this place can upgrade my 35 cheaper than to build a 8.8 plus i think i could be easier to keep the abs if i built up the 35.

i am mainly going on what i have always read as being get rid of the 35, i have also heard stories about guys not breaking an axle in their 35 and other people breaking them when they are in a Walmart parking lot backing out of a spot.

cheap wise i would go with the 35, but strenght wise just by what i have always read is that the 8.8 is stronger.

feel free to give me as much feed back as you guy wish about what your opinions are as well as self experiance.

thanks again,( i posted in both the JU and NAGCA about the 8.8 questions and this place i got the best and most responces back)

Brian

Jeepinc1
09-02-2005, 09:07 PM
I cant believe that they can upgrade your 35 for cheaper than the 8.8...although i dont know what all your doing to that 8.8. The way I look at it is you can make a 35 as strong or stronger than a stock 8.8 or a Dana 44...but you can also mod the Dana 44 or 8.8 to be much stronger than they are stock. Once you've done all that to a 35 its as strong as it will ever be and now if its not strong enough your again going to be paying money to get the bigger axle.

I know what its like to want to take the cheapest way but most everytime ive done that ive had to upgrade again later. Good luck man.

greenmeanzj
09-02-2005, 09:17 PM
well i want an 8.8, new seals and bearings, disk brakes, 4:56 gears, E-Locker electric selectable locker, either cutting or making new brackets, ect. thats how i would built up the 8.8

nathaniel
09-02-2005, 10:22 PM
well i want an 8.8, new seals and bearings, disk brakes, 4:56 gears, E-Locker electric selectable locker, either cutting or making new brackets, ect. thats how i would built up the 8.8

There is no comparision between the 35 and an 8.8. the 35 even with the 31 spline alloy shafts is still at its max with 35" tires. the ring gear can and will be one of the weakest part of the axle.

I would take a 28 spline 8.8 over a super 35. The super is like 800 with the locker.

Stock 8.8 with disks in CO. not sure if thats where you are.

Rear Axle
Ford Explorer 3.73 73,679 EX4638 $250 Don's Sportcar USA-CO(Pueblo) E-mail 800-332-3649

Can be found all over the place for ~300 with disks.
Use your brackets on it. free
then get someone to weld the brackets on and either wheel spacers or wheels with less back spacing.

Why bother with the selectable locker? If its because of snow then find a used arb or ebay.

I know of very few people who have problems with their 8.8's unless they are over 38-39" tires.

OverkillZJ
09-02-2005, 10:57 PM
I agree, the 8.8 might not be the "creme of the crop"; but I would argue that it is arguably the creme of the crop. I hate c-clipped axles, but as far as bang-for-the-buck goes, I don't' think you can beat the 8.8.

greenmeanzj
09-03-2005, 07:40 PM
i want a selectable locker because of snow, ice, and its a daily driver. i just don't like arbs don't trust them, which would you trust more air lines or a electrical line or a cable. sure there are some people who have never had problems with them and some that get air leaks all the time its just something i don't want to worry about.

the biggest tires i would go with is 35's. i'm a very gentle driver i don't bash around the only time i really put the gas down is when i would be if i need a little momentom to get up something.

the only thing that has broken on the zj is the driver's side rear upper control arm bracket riped from the frame i know of a good welder and he wasn't suprised it came off after he looked a the welds that were holding it in so that will be welded back up and re-enforced. other than that i haven't broken anything but i want to do the 8.8 mainly because i feel that i have been getting lucky with the 35 not breaking on me so far.

norcaljr
09-03-2005, 09:07 PM
You can find all kinds of good info in this 8.8 FAQ http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=641384

Mtn WJ
09-06-2005, 10:28 AM
If I had a ZJ with a D35 and was going to do something to beef up my rear axle I would do the 8.8. Simple and cheap on a ZJ. ABS again can be done a couple of different ways as well. If you had a WJ different story and I only wish it was as simple to do as the ZJ is.

Swamp boy
09-08-2005, 10:26 AM
I can tell you from personal experience ..Super 35 is nowhere near as strong as 8.8... I broke 5 of those stupid super 35 axles and destroyed 2 detroit lockers.. (thank god for warranty..) before I finally did the 8.8 swap..

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
09-08-2005, 10:42 AM
I can tell you from personal experience ..Super 35 is nowhere near as strong as 8.8... I broke 5 of those stupid super 35 axles and destroyed 2 detroit lockers.. (thank god for warranty..) before I finally did the 8.8 swap..

don't let Hunter or any of the jeepforum dudes here this. :finga: