PDA

View Full Version : ABS Brakes acting up after u-joint failure....

fredr1980
08-25-2005, 11:30 PM
I've lately found this forum and I see that there is a lot of knowledgeable people here so I'll give this a shot. I went 4 wheeling on Sunday and after a long day of fun the passanger side u-joint on the front axle gave way. Since the hub on the axle was pressed on pretty good and I couldn't remove it even after banging on it with a 2 lbs. hammer I decided to drive it home the 35 or so miles and get a gear puller to remove the frozen hub. In the process the axle banged itself on almost everything near it and chipped off less than a 1/4 inch off of the ABS ring teeth on the axle. Suprisingly enought the yokes/ears on the axle did not get stretched out and I was able to install a new U-joint after getting a gear puller to remove the hub. But now every time I brake at over 30 MPH the ABS starts kicking in an pulsating the brakes and it actually takes MORE effort to stop the truck. The weird thing is that the ABS light has never come on and the ABS line running right above the axle is not damaged. My question is what went wrong? Is there a way to disconnect the ABS so it doesn't do this? I would hate to have to buy an outer axle because it has less than a 1/4 inch chip in it missing. This is a 97 Jeep ZJ by the way. Thanks in advance for any help.

Fred R.

LouisianaZJ
08-26-2005, 01:39 AM
got pics?

make sure the tone ring is still seated on the stub properly, the sensor bracket is not bent, and that none of the ABS sensors or wiring are cut or mangled

is it missing 1/4" of teeth or like the outer 1/4" of the ring is chipped away

if all else fails, pull the abs fuse and proble wil be solved permanantly. i dont have ABS in my cherokee and i LOVE it offroad and onroad

OverkillZJ
08-26-2005, 08:25 AM
Check the ABS sensor itself, mine was destroyed first time I blew a ujoint, a cap spun out and whacked it.