PDA

View Full Version : 242 service manual

dcc1089
08-25-2005, 01:31 AM
Anyone know where I might be able to find a 242 service manual? The bearing on my front output shaft is bad and i don't want to replace the whole t-case.

Has anyone done this before and want to donate some tips/tricks?

nate
08-25-2005, 05:51 AM
It's not to hard to pull apart. Take the T Case out, split the case in half, replace that bearing and reinstall. If you have specific questions I should be able to help you. Been a while since I had a 242 apart though.

ATL ZJ
08-25-2005, 01:05 PM
Once you get the output housing off, the case comes apart pretty easily. It can really only go back together one way. There's no getting out of taking the whole case apart because the front output is the last thing to come out... That is, unless that bearing is accessible from the front of the t-case, which might be true... There's a plate on the front around the output shaft that's held on by I think 4 bolts. Pull those out and remove that plate. The bearing may be replaceable from that point by simply removing a snap ring. I forget exactly.. Let us know if that's the case. If so, it might save you an hour or two of work.

Cam

TrojanMan
08-25-2005, 04:02 PM
you can buy a FSM from Cue pretty cheap, it has good detailed descriptions with very, very good diagrams.

dcc1089
08-26-2005, 11:59 PM
Gat ahold of CueBall.....FSM's on the way!!!

Cue's the man.....I should have them by Monday!!

Cue-Ball
08-27-2005, 01:36 AM
No problemo.

Let me know if you don't get them. I will be in Clovis Mon. Tues. but have the laptop to check email at the hotel in the evenings (I know I know I need a life, oh well).

Anyway glad I could help.

dcc1089
09-03-2005, 12:26 AM
Got my FSM's. Thank You CueBall!!!!!!!!

TrojanMan
09-03-2005, 01:12 AM
just a hint - here's what I did... when you need the FSM often times you aren't near a computer or don't want to get one messy.. so I printed off the section I need at the time (for the stroker I printed off the whole engine section) and put them in a binder, using those plastic sheet protectors. It looks and works just like having a book forum, but I don't have to worry about greasy hands.. won't hurt the plastic at all. I can either wipe grease off or buy new protectors for like 1 cent each.

Cue-Ball
09-03-2005, 02:05 AM
Got my FSM's. Thank You CueBall!!!!!!!!

Glad to hear it, hope they help you through your project. Sorry I did not follow up with you earlier in the week I was traveling for work and then got overloaded when I got back in to town.

Trojan,

I do the same thing, even if you do it WITHOUT the plastic pages, if you mess up a sheet you just reprint it.

Dirk