PDA

View Full Version : Jeep trouble

zjoe
08-22-2005, 10:16 PM
So I'm on my way to work tonight. Running about 2k on the tac. and it starts acting like I just took my foot off the gas. Every once in awhile it would kinda try and go again. If I floor it and get it to down shift it would take off. I think I was scarin the shit outta the guy in front of me. :mrgreen: It did this acouple of times and I would just hammer it and take off running fine. Like I said I'm at work now, so I'm doing some web mechanican. My first thought was tps, but I put a new one in it about a year ago. Any one have any Ideas?

norton
08-22-2005, 10:36 PM
do you let it get pretty low on gas alot? could be a semi-clogged fuel filter

zjoe
08-23-2005, 12:13 AM
No. I fill it when it's about half empty. I've never changed the fuel filter though, so it wouldn't hurt. It seems like whenever I've had a bad fuel filter it kinda does the opposite of what my jeep is doing. It'll run at lower rpms, but starves the engine when you step on it. I'll change it anyway.
By the way-'97 with a 5.2 and it's not throwing any codes.

TrojanMan
08-23-2005, 12:56 AM
check your battery

Colorado 5.9
08-23-2005, 06:11 AM
It's really hard to say at this piont what it is. 97's don't really have a fuel filter per say. It's a screen that's part of the fuel pump. They can get clogged but it's more likely that the fuel pump is dying. It could also be the IAC but that should cause the check engine light to com on. There's a few other things that could cause what you've decribed too.

zjoe
08-23-2005, 04:43 PM
Funny you say that. I was thinking this morning that all the times I've laid under that thing, I don't remember seeing a fuel filter.
It drove home fine. So I'll drive it to work again tonight and see what it does.

TrojanMan
08-24-2005, 01:05 AM
I'm pretty sure the filter is built into the pump, or right beside it.

Colorado 5.9
08-24-2005, 01:32 AM
I'm pretty sure the filter is built into the pump, or right beside it.

Is there an echo in here? :finga:

zjoe
08-24-2005, 02:12 AM
It ran fine tonight. This is my favorite kind of problem, the ones that fix themselves! :supz: Maybe it was just passing some shit through the system.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
08-24-2005, 09:54 AM
It ran fine tonight. This is my favorite kind of problem, the ones that fix themselves! :supz: Maybe it was just passing some shit through the system.

could be true but more than likely it will raise its ugly head again.

TrojanMan
08-24-2005, 10:56 AM

could be true but more than likely it will raise its ugly head again.

When my fuel pump went it did that. One day the fuel pump quit, wouldn't push any fuel at all. I waited a few hours for a tow truck - by the time he finally came my jeep started fine, I had him follow me to a shop. When I got to the shop I decided the problem went away and drove home. A few days later same problem. Fuel pump needed to be replaced.

zjoe
08-24-2005, 04:37 PM
Yeah, I'm just kinda waiting for it to happen again. As long as it's around town and not up in the hills somewhere.

norton
08-25-2005, 04:29 PM

passing some shit thru the fuel lines right into your cylinders :finga:

problems dont usually fix themselves. they just hide themselves untill the worst possible time to come back and show their ugly faces. and then laugh at you and flip you the birdy while you sit there on the side of the road cursing at your Jeep.

2jeepsforus
10-27-2005, 07:23 PM
have you tried running some injector cleaner in a while? It might not hurt...

I'd try that before I replace the fuel pump assembly.

Just a thought

Dave

zjoe
10-28-2005, 12:14 AM
have you tried running some injector cleaner in a while? It might not hurt...

I'd try that before I replace the fuel pump assembly.

Just a thought

Dave
I haven't done anything. It's been running fine. That was about two months ago.
Dammit! I probably just jinxed myself, and I'm going wheeling this weekend too!